RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did a 320 mile round trip with my new 2020 Ram Longhorn with a PEntastar engine. 1000 miles on truck when I started and Blizzak snow tires all around. Half was with an empty tandem trailer that weighed 1800 lbs and the return was with a load of 5150 on that trailer totaling 6950 lbs. Speeds were 60-65 occasional 70. Start of trip was at elevation 1150 ft and location of load was at 840 ft elevation. Peak elevation was 1290 ft. SO with the empty trailer I went downhill a net 310 ft and on the way back loaded I went uphill a net 310 ft but topped the peak of 1290 in both directions. Terrain was lots of rolling hills. I started with the cruise control but quickly shifted to manual use of the accelerator. Too much holding back on the downhill and then catching up on the uphill in cruise.

Load was large precast concrete pots so no significant wind resistance beyond the truck and trailer. On the way back loaded the trip was in AWD since the road was quite slippery. I was in 2wd with the empty trailer. I have no idea how much the AWD affected mileage.

AMbient temp was in the low 30s and generally very light winds. Loaded water temps varied between 215 to 223 and oil temp from 199 to 219. I didn't note transmission temp carefully but it was always well below 200. Empty in the winter I never see either top 200.

I tried tow haul mode, regular and manual shifting. WIth the rolling hills I settled on manual shifting as best and downshifting at the bottom of the dips to stay ahead of things. Engine RPMs were generally between 2000 and 3000 unless on the level and then they dropped to abt 1600 and pulled the load well in 8th at 65. On one quite steep and long section it dropped to 4th gear and rpms jumped up to 3500-3600. Transmission shifted very nicely and engine revs quietly and nicely. Shifts in the 6-8 range are generally small rpm changes and unobtrusive. Downshifting to 5th and 4th at 60/65 mph makes you hear and notice what is happening but it isn't unpleasant to me. It is still way less of a change than an old torqueflyte shifting from 3rd to second Tow haul seemed to be calibrated to minimize shifting and it really didn't want to shift up to 7th or 8th even if level or slightly downhill.

Many hills it would pull nicely at 2000 rpms in 7th but shifting down to sixth resulted in a near immediate drop of 10 degrees in water temp and 7-8 in oil temp, I was surprised. It did seem happier revving a bit more in 6th. Instantaneous mileage was best in the highest gear it would stay in. If I had had it in tow haul it would have been in 5th on that kind of hill.

ANyhow, now to the mileage. calculated with initial and ending fills at the same station and same island pointing the same way 22.052 gallons. yielding 14.53 mpg for the round trip. If I assume a plus or minus 1 gallon on the fill(less than 5%) the mpg could be 13.89 to 15.21. My guess is the 2014 Ecodiesel I had would have gotten 20 or a bit more for the trip. SO the fuel cost was a push given the price difference here for winter diesel. My 2000 DOdge with a 5.9/360 gas engine never did better than 15 empty on this kind of drive and would have done 11-12 I expect with this trailer and load in tow.

All in all for me I am very happy. I will seldom tow this kind of weight this kind of distance and it was a relaxing trip no drama trip. Truck, engine and transmission all seemed comfortable. I don't plan on towing a house trailer of any kind but recognize the wind resistance of a boxier load could have made the trip feel different.

So with 1500 miles on the new truck the Pentastar suits me well. SO far glad I did not get the Hemi. Not enough good info on empty mileage yet but looking like 20-22 mpg with Blizzaks and 55-60 mph driving with occasional small town driving.

All the best,

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
What year truck is this?

I ran into a family in CO that had pulled a small travel trailer there with their Pentastar Ram. They were not happy with the engine temps they battled, and were ready to get rid of the truck. Their load pulled more wind that yours, but based on the size of the camper, was considerably lighter.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year truck is this?

I ran into a family in CO that had pulled a small travel trailer there with their Pentastar Ram. They were not happy with the engine temps they battled, and were ready to get rid of the truck. Their load pulled more wind that yours, but based on the size of the camper, was considerably lighter.
2020 now with abt 1500 miles on it with the e-torque

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year truck is this?

not sure what to say about "not happy with the temps". Over the years of this forums existence there have been an awful lot of people 'not happy' with the ecodiesel temps to. The facts of that in many cases, are these people are using numbers from the past about what is a good temperature for water and little knowledge of what oil temps have been over the years. WIth the move to greater efficiency, improved metallurgy and oil and better analytical tools virtually everything runs considerably hotter than it did one, two or three decades ago and what once was a real problem is now only a perceived problem. I noted the temps in my note as a matter of interest not intending to sound concerned about it. I did find it interesting, but not so surprising when I thought about it that the temps went down quickly when I downshifted a gear below what it would pull.

I also would say the obvious and that is the altitude and greater elevation changes in the Rockies would be more challenging than my location here in the midwest. I am OK with adequate performance for something I seldom do as a tradeoff for excellent for my daily usage. I know many people who are prefer excellent for something they do seldom and adequate for what they do everyday.

All the best,

All the best,

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Sounds like it delivered a strong performance. Better than I would have expected. Used a 2010 ram with the v-6 and 6-speed to tow a 21 foot bay boat. It did the job fine but it lived at 2500rpm on flat land and more on hills. Never had temp concerns with it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a couple of friends here with the Pentastar in a Ram 4x4, one is a 2016 and one is 2017. They love them. I've never heard a bad word about them either. I wonder what they say about them on the Pentastar forums .... maybe they're all talking about trading for Ecod's :)

I think if I was buying a truck today it would be a Ram with the Pentastar ... not because I am afraid of the Ecod, but because as I age my driving habits are changing faster then I thought they might .... and it looks like we'll be doing fewer long trips in a vehicle.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
WOW! Enjoyed that report.

Guessing the eTorque thing also helped picking things up. You were near max for towing capacity. The salvation is the low wind resistance. Your fuel mileage is outstanding. My guess is the Ecodiesel I had would not do any better. Some may sa it would but often, I towed things like you did and know my reality doing that.

If I did not pull that darn little toy hauler, probably you are using something I would buy. Now for a parallel thought my wife's twin sisters' husband - brother in law to me - drove his new Ram 1500 Hemi 3:92 yesterday. He took his wife, my wife and some other lady to IKEA. This is a guy that lives for what others ask him to do. He just got a deal on this two-wheel drive Laramie Limited as the person who ordered it refused to take delivery and the dealer wanted it out.

Jerking, slamming back acceleration is how my wife described the thing. Yes it also has eTorque. This guy had a Ford with a tiny 6 in it and is strictly an in-town grocery getter. He could not throttle the thing smoothly. That Hemi with the towing rear-end is probably too much for his brain to control. The man has not clue about rear end ratios, gears or even fuel mileage. Now he will get to replace those fancy 22" tires early-on after burning the rubber off.

I recommended a Pentastar when he was going to buy right after Christmas. He had no clue what that was even after detailed explanation. Grabbed by a salesman he is not ready for the drag strip. To me the Pentastar rules for general use and now surely, light towing. You are doing it right.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple pics of the trailer and the exposed aggregate concrete pots/containers I bought at a surplus office and needed to
P1020191.JPG
P1020192.JPG
haul home.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That’s a very useful report.
Sounds like you had to be a bit more focused on keeping the combination moving with traffic but thank god for the 8 speed giving you so much flexibility. Mpg is pretty decent. As an occasional towing vehicle it’s sounds fit for the purpose.

Anyone pulling loads up the Rockies will always prefer a CTD or Hemi. Especially with an RV or car in tow.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s a very useful report.
Sounds like you had to be a bit more focused on keeping the combination moving with traffic but thank god for the 8 speed giving you so much flexibility. Mpg is pretty decent. As an occasional towing vehicle it’s sounds fit for the purpose.

Anyone pulling loads up the Rockies will always prefer a CTD or Hemi. Especially with an RV or car in tow.
I chose to shift it manually because I could make the ride more smooth and avoid the mini drama of downshifts with significant rpm jumps in high load situation. WHen in tow haul mode it did good in terms of smoothness but it stayed about one gear lower than felt optimum to me. If one's driving style is to just turn up the radio to cover up any noise then put it in tow haul and push the go pedal and it would keep up just fine onthe roads I was driving on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you for your detailed report. This is very helpful. I've been considering the Pentastar V6 myself, when I get rid of the Ecodiesel I use for work. My wife has a 2019 with the Hemi without etorque. I can't believe how smooth and quiet the ride is on the new platform, but the mpg is terrible. It's fine for her limited driving but not practical for my needs.
If you haven't already posted, I would be interested in your city/hwy avg when not towing and what octane gas you use. Congrats on the new truck and thanks again for the helpful info.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your detailed report. This is very helpful. I've been considering the Pentastar V6 myself, when I get rid of the Ecodiesel I use for work. My wife has a 2019 with the Hemi without etorque. I can't believe how smooth and quiet the ride is on the new platform, but the mpg is terrible. It's fine for her limited driving but not practical for my needs.
If you haven't already posted, I would be interested in your city/hwy avg when not towing and what octane gas you use. Congrats on the new truck and thanks again for the helpful info.
You are welcome. The truck only has 1500 miles on it. I also put Blizzak snowtires on within a week or so of getting it. I use regular grade unleaded gasoline and am manually calculating the mileage for the first year or so until I can figure out what normal is for it. Mine is the 3.55 rear end ratio not the standard 3.21. Most of my driving is on rural highways with a 55 mph speed limit so my driving is 50-60 mph mostly. I wanted the higher towing capacity the 3:55 provided and found that the higher speed 3.21 hunted between 7 and 8 too much at lower speeds. At 65+ the 3.21 is fine holding eighth gear.

ANyhow to your direct mileage question the first 1202 miles that I put on the truck that weren't towing averages out to 20.67 mpg. That also includes an inordinate amount of idling as I spent time studying and setting up the Uconnect and other settings. We'll see what a few more miles do over the next few months and then when the summer tires go back on in April or so. It should improve some with summer tires, warmer weather and a few more miles on it. At this rate and the 23-24 I was getting on the 2014 Ecodiesel in winter with snow tires adjusted for the price of fuel only this is costing about 11% less than the Ecodiesel per mile for fuel only. Oil changes and Def will increase the overall per mile price difference for the winter but I expect fuel costs to be a bit less than the Pentastar in the summer since the diesel/gas price differential typically goes down some inthe summer and the mileage fromthe summer diesel and the warmer weather goes up more for the Ecodiesel than I expect the Pentastar will.

All the best,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I average about 40,000 miles a year driving. So real world fuel mileage/cost is important in my decision making.

·
Registered
380 Posts
87 octane?

The Pentastar with e-torque is probably the best combination for most buyers. Did you ever notice any changes with the e-torque? Charging, having zero battery remaining up a hill? From what I read the e-torque mostly helps on starting off in 1st gear and helps between shift changes. How did the truck feel compared to your old truck?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few comments to your questions.
YEs 87 octane 10% ethanol as is standard here. We can get 87 octane 0% ethanol but the price difference doesn't justify its additionbal energy content.

There is no indication of the state of charge of the e-torque battery. It does make the auto start/stop system nearly unnoticeable. I drove a Classic quad cab with a plain PEntastar and there was a noticeable difference in the take off and the upshifts. The other noticeable difference is engine holdback. THe e-torque battery is not big enough to provide much assistance, or perhaps any, for longer periods. It helps on initial 0-5 mph take off and on low RPM upshifts and helps the engine not fall flat on the upshift.

Ref my 2014 Ecodiesel it definitely feels peppier in terms of outright acceleration. We have some rolling hills here and some longer inclines that you cannot coast up and it downshifts about the same as the Ecodiesel. I have done a couple tests that I documented on the Ecodiesel before I traded it and on the same hill, with the same load and the same bottom of hill speed both downshifted to the same gear to maintain the speed up the hill.

The PEntastar revs higher comfortably and without a lot of racket compared to the Ecodiesel. On my tow trip I referenced above the truck only went above 3000 rpms once. I know the road and on the longest steepest hill, with a downhill before it and with the loaded trailer I left it in cruise set at 65 and it held back and downshifted going down the hill and then quickly fell behind on the way up the other side and downshifted to 4th and rpms jumpoed to about 4200 or so. Not using cruise it would have stayed in 5th for sure and perhaps even 6th.

I haven't checked truck weights yet the new one should be a bit lighter given the engine weight and the 5'7" vs 6'4" box but it is a Rambox. I will look at that and post it up here when I get a chance.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I think the e-torque must make a huge difference. No way the pentastar by itself hangs that well. 8-speed aside when it comes to towing and hills the pentastar is going to be reaching for gears big time without the boost of the e-torque. I wonder how much/long etc. it helps on start up and hills and how long it will last.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the e-torque must make a huge difference. No way the pentastar by itself hangs that well. 8-speed aside when it comes to towing and hills the pentastar is going to be reaching for gears big time without the boost of the e-torque. I wonder how much/long etc. it helps on start up and hills and how long it will last.
The following link has a decent description of what the etorque system does. Hybrid or not, 2019 Ram 1500 eTorque does some smart things with 48V tech

the battery size is 0.4 kwh. The V-6 motor generator is a 12 hp motor. The engine is 305 hp. The electric motor adds 3.9% more hp to the engine. The motor can add 90 ft lbs of torque to the gas engines maximum 269 ft.lbs or 33.5% more torque to the engine. However the battery size only allows the motor to run at full load for about 2.4 minutes if the full charge of the battery is used. When the load of al the accessories is considered the power available to add hp to the engine is further reduced. As I both read about it and experience it the performance improvement is primarily about adding significant torque for short very short periods of time (seconds or tens of seconds, not minutes) when the engines torque is low which is primarily on takeoff and upshifts. That addition is noticeable to me when you drive an etorque and a non etorque truck one after another. The other thing you notice is the regeneration. I like both of them and time wil tell about the reliability, but the system is relatively simple.

The other thing I learned recently is the following-""The updated Pentastar V-6 now features variable intake-valve lift and cam phasers capable of running the more efficient Atkinson combustion cycle "- which came from a Car and Driver article. This improves low speed/low load efficiency. A description is at

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
So much good stuff in this thread , Thanks Howie12 ,
anybody using their Eco as a Sedan , and on the fence about choosing the Pentastar
because of occasional towing , might have just fallen off of the fence now . (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts