RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plenty of research, I decided to install Bilsteins on all four corners of my truck. I put the adjustable 5100s in the front and the standard 5100s in the rear. The handling and ride of the truck was definitely improved, and from what I've read, they are nice when towing as well. I set the ride height at the 2.1 inch setting, and really like the look of the truck. I hadn't done any towing until last night, when I towed our 18' aluminum fishing boat about 100 miles.

I'm not sure if the alteration in the ride height is what made the (negative) difference, but that 2,000 pound boat has never towed worse than it did last night. The front end was very floaty, almost to the point of being difficult to maneuver, and the boat squatted the back end more than it did with the stock shocks. I could really feel the boat behind the truck, and I'd hardly notice it back there when towing it in the past. I know these EDs are not heavy duty trucks, but a 2,000 pound tin can shouldn't cause that much trouble, IMO.

So my question: how can I correct this? The simplest fix seems to be to set the front shocks to a lower setting, closer to stock height. Maybe that will correct it. much prefer the current look of the truck when compared to the stock rake, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the use of the truck for simple aesthetics. Does anyone have any experience towing with adjustable Bilstein 5100s? At what height did you set the fronts? I've also considered adding air bags, which would probably be the solution if I wanted to keep the current look and ride when empty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Enjoy the holiday.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
I would put the front shocks to stock ride height, your probably noticing it squat more because the front end is being forced up. You could be noticing the road more as I've heard some say the Bilstein give a crisper ride but that's subjective to the person.
Shocks don't support a load, they're meant to keep the wheels planted on the ground. A 2K lbs trailer should be a walk in the park, I was just towing a 3K lbs 24' enclosed cargo with no problems

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Correct; I wasn't suggesting that shocks themselves support a load, rather wondering how to correct this issue that wasn't an issue before. I really like the look of the truck now, and if I was wanting to keep the look, that's what made me interested in air bags. But outside of that option, returning the fronts to the stock ride height is probably the simplest, and most cost effective fix. I agree with you: a 2k pound boat and trailer shouldn't be an issue at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I hate the look of a leveled truck, its all show and no go. (that's my opinion... and its not a popular one, but its mine)

I'd set it back to stock height and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate the look of a leveled truck, its all show and no go. (that's my opinion... and its not a popular one, but its mine)

I'd set it back to stock height and give it a whirl.
It's nearly level; I think the 2.8" setting is leveled. But regardless, after having towed a light load and experiencing how the truck performed, my opinion may have changed and may align with yours. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Leveling kits are terrible for towing since they change the fulcrum point negativity. Using a wd hitch would help but not a lot of choices for a straight stinger like a boat.

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
100 percent predictable. You quickly start to unload the front when its already level. Its why they come with a factory rake. You can also use a WDH to completely replaced your unloaded steer weight using a CAT scale. Might look a little silly with a little 2,000 pound boat but it would get it to tow as good or better than before. Or as mentioned you can lower the front back down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive towed about 20kmi with my truck with Bilsteins on all 4 corners, never noticed any issues, ever. Weights range from 3500# to 7000#, flatbed car hauler, enclosed car hauler, little utility trailer.

There is absolutely no way a 2klb boat would effect the truck with or without those bilsteins. My guess is installation error.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive towed about 20kmi with my truck with Bilsteins on all 4 corners, never noticed any issues, ever. Weights range from 3500# to 7000#, flatbed car hauler, enclosed car hauler, little utility trailer.

There is absolutely no way a 2klb boat would effect the truck with or without those bilsteins. My guess is installation error.
Installation is pretty fool-proof. What height setting do you have yours at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts