RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t find the towing capacity for my ram anywhere and it’s frustrating. I have a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab 5ft7in box. It’s 4x4 and has the 3.92 gears and eco diesel in it. Any body have any insight? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would add as you approach max ratings tires that are p rated will be a real challenge. XL or LT are a huge improvement. If you have air suspension great, if not standard coils can squat big time. Aftermarket air bags solve that issue,
Otherwise a very capable tow vehicle. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Its roughly the same as the Hemi assuming both trucks are optioned and weight about the same. The suspension is the same but well at least last generation the ED weighed about 80 pounds more than the Hemi which was offset some by the fact that Ram raised the GVWR by 50 pounds. Limitations now are more about the suspension and weight of the particular options of your truck at least for technical legalities. In practice it will do the same weight more fuel efficiently and with less noise and drama. It will just seam to get it moving or keep it rolling more effortlessly with less rpm. The flip side with less horsepower it won't do it as quickly at WOT as the Hemi. Both good engines.

With a WDH a practical comfortable limit is still 8k for a bumper pull travel trailer for about any properly equipped 1/2 ton truck because now days its mostly about the suspension. You still want to watch axle weights and CVWR. If you are towing a flatbed with little wind drag a lower center of gravity and good trailer brakes it should be pretty comfortable to 10 or 11k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel, 4x4, 3.92, ORG and Ramboxes with a towing capacity of 9535 pounds. If you go to Mopar.com and set up an account with your VIN it will give you all of the specs for your truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard the gen 3 has a higher tow rating because they were able to fix the oil overheat issue, not to mention the increases in hp and torque. But can anyone tell me if it's also because the gen 3 also has heavier duty axles/drive components?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure what the axle ratings were on the 4th Gen 1500s, but the ones on my 2020 are 3900 front, 4100 rear. I believe the new 8HP75 transmission has also been beefed up, since it is the same transmission used on the heavy duty Rams with 6.4 engine.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My 2015 was 3900 front and rear. That's from memory however and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can’t find the towing capacity for my ram anywhere and it’s frustrating. I have a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab 5ft7in box. It’s 4x4 and has the 3.92 gears and eco diesel in it. Any body have any insight? Thank you!

Have you tried mopar.com and registering as the owner? Should be stated there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I heard the gen 3 has a higher tow rating because they were able to fix the oil overheat issue, not to mention the increases in hp and torque. But can anyone tell me if it's also because the gen 3 also has heavier duty axles/drive components?
Your last comment, or question, heavier duty axles and drive components... yep, the answer is all of the above... Axle, Dana 60... the earlier models, 5 lugs, this new generation is 6 lugger… better brakes, the 8hp75, the overdrive gears have changed as well as gears 1 thu 6... with this new model, there is a whole bunch of noticeable improvements... ie; steering is another improvement... this truck is not just a heavy half, it's closer to an ole school light 3/4 ton, only it has a whole bunch of umph to it... and fun to drive, especially with the air suspension... hey, and I forgot to mention, the barn door tailgate, it's awesome... and you always wanted to think you wanted to swing, get one, they are great...
Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention... my new 2020 eco truck, the tranny, for some odd reason, my tranny temps are running way much cooler than my ole 2016... that should be a good thing, but it's something that I have noticed, maybe because she's new, who knows

·
Registered
257 Posts
Keep in mind, a Dana 60 is "only" a 9.75 and has an GAW usually around 6500 (full float) or 5500 (semi float) pounds. Far more than what this half ton needs. Even a Dana 50 with a 9" ring gear has a capacity of 5000 GAW. Drop down to a Dana 44 and get a 8.5 ring gear and up to 3500 pounds GAW. Axle lug count doesn't make a difference, being 5 or 6. One isn't necessarily stronger than the other. Unless the axle tubes on our 9.5's are twig thin, Ram has seriously under rated the axle at 3900 or even 4100 pounds. The springs are soft and squishy, so that plays into the payload capacity as well though. Add airbags to fix that issue. The bed itself is as light and flimsy as they come so that may play into the rated capacity. I don't haul heavy in the bed so I don't care about that. The last issue is frame strength. I have no idea about it and whether or not it limits payload capacity. If I was to guess our payloads are just small because of the engine oil over heating issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep in mind, a Dana 60 is "only" a 9.75 and has an GAW usually around 6500 (full float) or 5500 (semi float) pounds. Far more than what this half ton needs. Even a Dana 50 with a 9" ring gear has a capacity of 5000 GAW. Drop down to a Dana 44 and get a 8.5 ring gear and up to 3500 pounds GAW. Axle lug count doesn't make a difference, being 5 or 6. One isn't necessarily stronger than the other. Unless the axle tubes on our 9.5's are twig thin, Ram has seriously under rated the axle at 3900 or even 4100 pounds. The springs are soft and squishy, so that plays into the payload capacity as well though. Add airbags to fix that issue. The bed itself is as light and flimsy as they come so that may play into the rated capacity. I don't haul heavy in the bed so I don't care about that. The last issue is frame strength. I have no idea about it and whether or not it limits payload capacity. If I was to guess our payloads are just small because of the engine oil over heating issue.
If the truck is configured with the Air Suspension, what role does that play in all of this? I do understand it adds weight, and therefore presumably reduces the "Payload" number, but what are the other consequences (positive and negative) of having the Air Suspension onboard?

Thanks.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just confused because it says it can tow up to 12500 pounds on the website I know there are a lot of things that play into how much that changes but I don't feel like it changes that much between the hemi models and configuratios. I feel like it should be able to tow more.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Excellent information UNSTUCK thanks for that. I’ve always tried to keep drive axle weight to no more than 10 percent over Ram rating or 4,300 pounds. Guess that’s not pushing the axle per Mfgr at all. Still if you have by CAT scale say 4,300 on the drive and 3,500 on the steer axle IE 7,800 combined your pretty much to safe practical limits of the truck suspension & brakes. Even with E rated tires & proper axle to frame air bags with anything more than 8,000 on the truck she is sloppy when swerved or pushed to stop hard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts