RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know much about the factory air ride these trucks can come with. I assume they are designed for passenger comfort and not tow/haul capacity. I've heard of guys complaining that they cannot air up/lift with heavy loads. I'm quite happy with the axle to frame bags I have and am amazed at how well it smoothed out my towing.

I think one can go off the hemi ratings and apply them to our trucks. Everything is the same, minus the engine. The engine power is the least of my concerns when towing. Bringing my boat safely down Parleys Canyon is much more nerve wracking then going up it. If a Hemi can tow up to 12,500 SAFELY then our trucks should also be able to safely handle the load aw well. You may just be going a lot slower up the hills.....which could be a safety issue for some.
Now legally is a different story. What will FCA or your insurance company say when you loose control of that 12,500 pound load and kill the family traveling in that Fiat 500 next to you? That's a call you'll have to make for yourself. I'm comfortable being overweight as much as I am. I wouldn't go much, if any more over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on trim level due to different air flows thru the different grill covers. My tradesman has maximum air flow, and is rated for 10,700. I've seen some Laramie trim models be as low as 8600 lbs, and they have the busy/good looking grill covers. My

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If the truck is configured with the Air Suspension, what role does that play in all of this? I do understand it adds weight, and therefore presumably reduces the "Payload" number, but what are the other consequences (positive and negative) of having the Air Suspension onboard?

Thanks.

Cheers,
I haven't found any limitations. I've towed heavy with my air suspension, 8900# for the toy hauler and even threw a quad in the bed. No issues. It won't want to change the suspension height with that kind of weight but there are no trouble codes or other issues.

You're right on the air suspension adding weight. My Laramie is long and has almost all the options, which works against the axle weights and GCVW.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts