RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what everyone's experience towing has been specifically on the highway with the ED. passing on the highway - going from 65 mph to 80mph with a substantial tow (e.g. 5k 6k lbs)??

Does the ED feel labored at all?

What kind of comparisons / contrasts to a V8?

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
If I'm going 65, I'm looking to slow down, not speed up. I wouldn't be passing anyone that was traveling at 65MPH. I have passed people going 50ish with no problem.

Edit: I didn't really answer your question.... I have never gone 80 with something in tow, heck I don't think I've done it with nothing in tow.... so I can't answer that question. I can say, however, that I would rather tow with my 3D than a V8 gasser any day. Most of it is probably due to the 8spd tranny, but, when I describe towing to others, i usually refer to the 3D as "no drama". With a gasser it always seemed to rev higher and hunt for gears more often, the 3D will downshift, but you can also back out just a bit and stay under 3K RPM. To me, that is huge... I can't stand hours of towing while listening to a V8 at high RPMs shifting up and down through the gears.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are going to try to pass someone doing 65 with 5k on the back, you are going to be in 4th or 5th gear and your temps are going to be really high

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My experience with this truck and passing is not very good. Even empty you need a lot of room. I tried to pass a car doing 40 in a 55. Got to a passing zone, saw a car at the very end of the passing zone coming the other way, I stomped on it to pass...by the time I got to the other cars front door I had to bail ! Stomped on the brakes and got back behind her. My Silverado or my car would have blown around her easily. This truck will pull like a mule but it also moves like one . That's why I call mine "The Mule"
Remember its only a 3 LITER 6 cyl. No way I would attempt to pass at 65 mph towing. Positively NO way I would even get any wheres near 80 mph towing 4-5k behind me in a light duty 1/2 ton truck.
.(LOTS more reasons not to do that too, but we wont harp on it) Happy towing and Be safe out there!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If your wanting to do 80mph while towing a load, id suggest you rethink your driving habits. Can it be done, yes, would i suggest it, no. At that speed, your perception and reaction times and distances are substantially greater than that at 65mph. I dont even like going 70 with a loaded semi.

·
Super Moderator
4,153 Posts
No issues with passing with a 3K boat in tow, usually kept it at 65 didn't get up to 80mph. Made sure there was plenty of room, and eased on the throttle, think the truck only dropped into 7th even with the Tow/Haul mode on.
Merging into the highway goes easy too, usually keep the rpms around 3K and let the trans do its thing.
You just have to keep in mind your towing a trailer that can pull your truck around if you let it get away from you.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I normally tow at 65 with a 6k AS TT. When I kick it up to 70 or so to pass it will do it in a pretty timely manner. But I do have the 3.92 gear and a tune both of which help here.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Just note, most trailer tires are only rated at 65MPH to carry the load.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Let me answer your questionn with direct experience towing a Toy Hauler travel trailer with the Ecodiesel for the last 32,000 miles.

I normally tow at 72 to 75mph. Every now and than I get stuck behind very slow driving vehicles. When safe I SAFELY pass and can easily get up to 90 +mph while towing. Hi speeds are never recommended nor safe when towing but the truck will pull the high speeds no problem! Our Ecodiesel is as powerful as the Cummins and Powerstrokes were a few generations back and they were towing 17,000 lbs.

All diesels are on the lazier side compared to gasoline engines due to low redlines and long stroke motors. But diesels pull heavier weight easier at low rpm.

I hope this answers your question!

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I like the honesty in that post. Sounds like a racer. :) No jab intended I've raced and broken everything imaginable. Food for thought. Ever see where the most powerful bike wasn't the quickest around the track? Normally I'll tow a TT 800 miles in a day. That includes one stop at 400 miles for fuel. If I go faster I spend more time & money at the fuel stops and it ends up taking longer to cover the 800 miles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Lol, I know what you mean Vern :)

You are right, I don't make a habit of towing fast but wanted Grock to know our trucks have good power.

I bought my truck this year in January and am about to turn 40,000 miles. No problems it's been the best truck I have owned.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
WHAT?!! How can that be.. I thought such positive reaffirmation wasn't allowed on this forum. Must push its a crapshoot 1 in ten blow up before 40k. Lol hope you like your truck as well as I do mine and have as good of luck with it as I have had with mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most trailer tires aren't rated to go 80 MPH. Most states out here limit OTR 18 wheelers to 65-70 MPH (except WYO.) because their tires are definitely not rated to go 80 MPH. WYO papers are reporting seeing more retread material on the highway.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The tires I use on my trailer are speed rated for 118 MPH and 2,271lbs. Since they are used on a trailer, their weight capacity is derated 10%, so 2,064lbs. That leaves plenty of reserve capacity for my trailer with these tires. My trailer only carries about 5,700lbs on the two axles. I don't tow at 80 MPH, but if I have to pass someone and need to exceed normal speeds a little, I know it isn't a strain on my tires to do so for a short period of time.

I think you'll find most, if not all, HD truck tire manufacturers speed rate their tires to 75 MPH, some lower. It depends on the load and inflation pressure.
Too Fast for Your Tires? - On the Road - TruckingInfo.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts