RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun after putting the factory brake controller on the truck I hooked to an equipment trailer and put the CAT skid steer on it. Total weight of trailer and machine should be around 11500 to 12000 lbs. Yes I know it's well over the rating so I only pulled it for about 10 miles. Truck is a 17 bighorn crew 4x4 with 3.55 gears, regular suspension.

Its definitely too much weight to be pulling with a half ton but with the machine loaded correctly the truck sat level. It pulled the weight ok but was revving to 3500 rpm to get it going. It wouldnt shift past 6th on speeds no higher than 60. At speed on flat roads was showing 15mpg on the instant readout. Ride was good enough that I couldnt tell it was back there once it was moving.

The brake controller worked great stopping the truck. It was almost like the trailer was not there. Last stop I tried 6% on the gain but 7 or 8 would have been better. I found out that the controller will tell you in the dash if the trailer has been disconnected if you dont shut the truck off. It also has a warning light that appears in case you're not on the trailer tow screen. I also found out that plugging in the trailer to the truck automatically turns off the rear parking sensors and unplugging it will automatically turn them back on. For 160 bucks on ebay and activation with alfaobd you wont beat the factory one for the money.

Pic of truck with trailer and the dash warning light that the trailer is not connected.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,997 Posts
Down hill.. at the bottom hill the rabbit died. 😄

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
You say it's loaded correctly. If that were the case, proper tongue weight would be in the 1440# range, which would seriously squat your truck.

3500 rpm sounds about right, as does the truck staying in 6th gear. You don't want to pull significant weight in either OD gear.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say it's loaded correctly. If that were the case, proper tongue weight would be in the 1440# range, which would seriously squat your truck.

3500 rpm sounds about right, as does the truck staying in 6th gear. You don't want to pull significant weight in either OD gear.
Heard on the weight, however where the machine was the truck didnt bounce. It was like it wasnt there once up to speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts