RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tow a 21ft boat with my ecodiesel, which is somewhere around half the miles on it. Towing at 70-73mph, I get 12-14mpg depending on the wind. With a GDE tune, will that improve, and if so does anyone have a ballpark as to how much?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Don't have a lot of experience with GDE yet, but before I got 13.something pulling our travel trailer and towed it for the first time last night with the tune, only about 30-40 miles, but cleared trip on a full tank and it said 14.5 when I got to my destination.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The speed at which you are towing is also right in that area where the RAM begins to lose its efficiency whether towing or not. If you are able to go slower, I'm sure you'll see a great improvement. Driving 60-65 with a 7,000 pound travel trailer I was able to achieve 16 mpg from Ohio to Oregon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see 14-16 towing a 30 Ft Airstream. DrivingZiggy is correct. Speed and wind play a huge factor with regards to mileage. Much more than I recall with F-250 Diesels.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I see 14-16 towing a 30 Ft Airstream. DrivingZiggy is correct. Speed and wind play a huge factor with regards to mileage. Much more than I recall with F-250 Diesels.
Oh it matters with them too. Towing our TT with the duramax or a cummins we usually get about 12-13 doing 65. Had some trouble with old tires so we kept our speed down to 55 and got a hair over 15.

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Agree with the last three posters. 65 mph 2,100 rpms in 7th is efficient for me and still rolls well with interstate right lane traffic. It seems to be the best balance of making time while achieving fuel economy. Except for a strong wind day I'll average 15.0 to 15.2 with a new dry double axle Airstream.

Also able to run cruise well there without much shifting (tune & 3.92) or braking while rolling in right lane on interstates. On cruise speed falls 2 on a hill. Down hill I'll bump to 67 to 70 eventually settling back at 65 on the flat. Plum full tank to lower than I should run it I can get about 400 miles on a tank.

When "making time" & "getting it done" on a transport day I'll start in the morning plum full stop at 400 miles for fuel food restroom brake then hop back on the road. 400 miles latter I stop again for the same and have my 800 mile day done.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Vern you probably have a pretty good idea on this. It seems to me that people who report fuel mileage figures with airstreams routinely report better than average fuel economy than folks with box trailers. I'm sure it is the aerodynamics but do you see the same?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently hauled a Jeep from Michigan to Las Vegas and back with my '14 ED 4wd. Jeep weight + trailer weight was right at the max trailer rating for my truck. Took the southern route out through Missouri, New Mexico and Arizona and came back through Utah, Colorado, Nebraska etc. to Michigan. Running the speed limit all the way my round trip MPG was 14.9 for the 4200+ mile trip. My truck has the GDE tune.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just made another run to FL and back. Trip average by hand calc was a touch over 19 mpg. Due to time constraints I was moving with traffic at brisker than usual pace while towing. Quite happy with the fuel economy given what I was doing. Lowest tank was 18 mpg with strong headwind.

IMG_2090.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
MAS yes I normally see 1 mpg difference between same size weight travel speed Airstream to box TT even with an aero nose on the box TT. But the nose does help noticeably especially anything above 65. Double axle Box TT I'll average 14.0 running the same way.

Bunkeroil Yes I have the trans tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never did get any first hand before/after reports. I'm almost certainly going to pull the trigger next week as I don't need my truck. Anyone have reports by chance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the GDE tune last week prior to a 250 mile trip to the Florida Keys. I towed a 23ft boat (no t-top) that weighs around 5000lbs with trailer and fuel. Additionally I had 3 coolers full of drinks, food, and ice on the bed of the truck , plus tools and other fishing/snorkel gear(probably another 1000lbs). I averaged 17MPG on the way there and 18MPG on the way back home (less fuel and ice).

Very happy with the fuel economy but more impressed with the improved performance, I averaged 65-75 MPH most of the way.

I did pay for the engine brake, but it does not work very well for me. I may have to pay for the transmission tune to get better outcomes. It only works above 2000RPMs so it only kicks in for a second or two before the truck falls below the 2000RPMs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts