RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On road trip like title says. Towing 6000lb enclosed trailer.
Squealing starts about 15 hours into 25 hour towing up north moose
Hunting.
Trace it to under truck valve looking thing next to cat on exhaust. It gets worse as rpm builds and not really noticable when not towing. Have to make trip back in a week or so and need advice on what this is and if it's safe to drive as is. Truck is 2016 eco diesel with GDE tuner. 76,000 km. Sorry for poorly written but had to drive 30 minutes out of bush for service

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
You mean like an exhaust leak?

Do seem to remember reports of a drive shaft universal joint making a noise under load. Not sure it was front, rear, transfer case etc. Take a look and see if anything might be showing some looseness from wear.

One thing to remember is the noise is not from the motor or transmission. Relax a bit with that knowledge. Reads like you can go a long way with it and no major breakdown. More important to set yourself up in a position to get a good shot and down that moose. I say...

Enjoy the hunt and deal with this after.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Several of these seem to have come up lately. Check to see if you have any busted bolts on the flanges connecting the various parts of the exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, no guys.
I guess I wasn't clear enough , but there is a valve on the underside of the exhaust near a catalytic converter or muffler. It's about 2" in diameter. Seems like it's related to emissions

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, no guys.
I guess I wasn't clear enough , but there is a valve on the underside of the exhaust near a catalytic converter or muffler. It's about 2" in diameter. Seems like it's related to emissions

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
pretty certain there is no valve.

What there is in that area is a DEF injector.

Can you send a pic of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.. I was guessing it was a valve since its squealing.
Image too large for loading, do these injectors fail ?
What's the consequences of driving it like this ?
Only really worried about a limp mode

No moose yet BTW

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Did you check the exhaust flanges for a busted fastener and/or exhaust leak? There have been at least two other members who reported the same issues recently and they both had the same problem.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Good for you cheap easy fix. I halfway want to crawl under mine and look to see what they look like. I just changed my fuel filter a week ago should have done it then!

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are the 3rd in about a month that has had this issue. I'm curious if it's a common problem that most don't know they have because their truck never sees the load or high rpms required to cause the whistle. I wonder if the higher shift points caused by the AEM are making this problem more visible...

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's interesting that it's a recall in Canada, but not in US. And more interesting because it's not safety related like recalls generally are

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'm in Canada , and never received that recall notice .......:confused:

but thanks for sharing , if i ever hear some kind of exhaust leak from the DEF injector area
I'll know it is just broken flange bolts ,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts