RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be towing my 34’ travel trailer with my ram 2019, 2500 Cummins. I will be traveling from the Central Valley Ca. Up to mammoth lakes next week. After much debate. I decided to take highway 88. Highway 108 was a no go for me. 120 Tioga pass thru Yosemite is a tourist nightmare. So. Highway 88 it is.Do you guys have any pointers when towing in high altitudes. I know the basics. Don’t ride your breaks in the way down, don’t push the tow vehicle to hard on the way up. And take it slow. Any other pointers. I guess I am a bit nervous about driving Cliff side.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
That Cummins wont care how hard you push it going uphill and use the exhaust brake going down it well be smooth and uneventful. Just drive smoothly and pay attention.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Generally Whatever comfortable speed I crest the top is where I (road surface permitting) set my cruise / exhaust brake for a comfortable safe decent speed. This does not require use of your truck service brakes for controlling speed down despite the trailer push. Brakes last and are cool for stopping or needed hard slow downs.

Should be no worries with 2500 just common sense. Watch road surfaces speed and leave plenty of room for other traffic. Don’t let people push you into a tight stack leave room in front of you.

Altitude does not affect turbocharged trucks. That was a naturally aspirated gasoline & carburetor problem.

Reactions: sourdo and Crash68

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,190 Posts
With the CTD turn the exhaust brake on and let it do the work. Unless your TT is really heavy the CTD won't really break too much of a sweat, you'll know it's working and unless the coolant starts to get hot just let the engine work(you ain't gonna hurt it). When you pull off the road from towing, let the engine idle for about 5 minutes to let everything cool off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks guys. What’s the tran/engine temp I should be aware of?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally Whatever comfortable speed I crest the top is where I (road surface permitting) set my cruise / exhaust brake for a comfortable safe decent speed. This does not require use of your truck service brakes for controlling speed down despite the trailer push. Brakes last and are cool for stopping or needed hard slow downs.

Should be no worries with 2500 just common sense. Watch road surfaces speed and leave plenty of room for other traffic. Don’t let people push you into a tight stack leave room in front of you.

Altitude does not affect turbocharged trucks. That was a naturally aspirated gasoline & carburetor problem.
Vern I never really use cruise control. Do you set it for downhill as well?

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Well with the GDE tune & turbo brake option with how it works with the 8 speed.. Yes. Say I crest at 50 set my cruise at 50 and the hill / trailer pushes it to 55 the turbo & transmission brake will kick on and slow you back to 50 then hold your speed there. You can even bump or lower cruise control.

That part will probably work differently for the Cummins & 6 speed though.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
all about following distance, if you think you are far enough away from the person in front of you, add 3-5 more car lengths.

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
And least but not last, make sure your trailer brakes are dialed in, not to the point of lock up, but just before that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When you have a truck that tows as easily as a Cummins Ram, don't let it lull you into forgetting that you are actually towing a big trailer! My Ecodiesel tows so much better than my last hemi Ram, sometimes I have to keep looking in the mirror to remind myself. Have fun!

Reactions: Wscuellar

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
RickL ... I believe your towing your New Fifth-wheel ?
If it’s your first time towing a 5th ? They turn extremely nice and backing up is really nice as well ...
While driving down the road Pay attention to the turning characteristics of how the trailer tracks in your trucks tracking. Basically/ Hopefully it should track almost the same as the truck... Watching trailer tires while going around corners Ect...

You have your mirrors Up , I adjust my bottom mirror to watch the trailer tires tracking this way you’ll learn how to get around gas stations/ Restaurants with confidence ...

When backing a 5th you do not need to move your truck very much to move your trailer side to side , Basically slightly turning the steering wheel will move your trailer ...

Remember back slowly, it’s easier to correct...

You and your Lady need to learn hand signals for backing into a tight spot, Always remind her to stand to side of trailer in FULL VIEW OF YOUR MIRRORS....

First trip might seem overwhelming, It only gets Much Better and Easier....

I Hope you Have A Great First Trip!!! Report back with your experience’s !!!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,062 Posts
Hmmm my experience with a gooseneck is that it takes a lot more truck correction to get it turning.

I also find that they tend to not track nearly as well and you need to take wide turns. Followed my dad towing our gooseneck for the first time and had to beat the horn to keep him from knocking the front end off a parked pickup truck, he has towed trailers for years and years, but this was the first gooseneck.

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
135 Posts
Yep, the pivot point is over the axle rather than hanging out past the rear receiver. That four feet or so makes a big difference in the tracking.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My experience with bumper pulls has been quite limited to a tandem axle enclosed where you could fit two 2up quads end to end. I found it tracks closer to where the truck goes and didn't need much input to back up.

A majority of what we tow is either our 5 horse goose neck, 10 bale self tipping trailer or the tridem flat deck. All are really long. I find they dog leg (if thats the correct term) and you have to make much wider turns you you don't eat curbs. I find them more forgiving when backing as you need a bit more steering wheel inputs to get them turning.

Glad you got a 5th wheel over a bumper pull. I find they tow substantially better, just more stability and you can really manipulate them better when backing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all. I have an appointment to check out my bearings and seals. Also do a brake adjustment. Or all new brakes, whatever is needed. When I set the gain to 10, I can barely feel the force being applied to the trailer. Glad I am doing this. I can’t imagine going down hill with minimal trailer braking. 😱

·
Registered
504 Posts
Good you are checking the brakes. Our 5 horse progressively got worse, just to find the wiring was shot. Then they got worse again, just to find the shoes delaminated.

New complete Dexter backing plates were cheaper and easier to install than new shoes and magnets. Mine are getting weak again so its time to adjust and clean the grounds.

Mine were the manual adjust 12x2". I think they were 6,000 pound but shopping around the same dimension 7,000 pound were cheaper.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Hmmm my experience with a gooseneck is that it takes a lot more truck correction to get it turning.

I also find that they tend to not track nearly as well and you need to take wide turns. Followed my dad towing our gooseneck for the first time and had to beat the horn to keep him from knocking the front end off a parked pickup truck, he has towed trailers for years and years, but this was the first gooseneck.
With a gooseneck and all trailers, The closer the axles are to the hitch, the Better the turning radius...Axle placement is Everything...

Go measure your fathers gooseneck from hitch to front axle... All goosenecks are not the same ...There are difference’s ...

My gooseneck is 20 ft Hitch to front axle.....deck length 30ft total length 37ft ...
My 5thwheel is 19 ft ...Total length 33ft

I had a gooseneck that turned like crap and It was hard to get into small driveway entrances without tearing down mail boxes or gates ...I sold that one ...
It was a 35ft deck 40ft overall length ..The axles where almost all the way to the back of the trailer...I Hated that trailer...It was A Beautiful Trailer Just handled like crap ...

I drive my empty gooseneck thru McDonald’s and Hardee’s drive thru’s ...

RV 5th wheels axles are slightly to the rear but almost centered, They Turn and Handle Very Nice.....

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,062 Posts
I’m just thinking due to increased length a given length gooseneck/5th wheel will almost always have a longer distance to the axles. Also a tongue pull the hitch being beyond the rear axle exaggerates your steering making it more responsive.

·
Registered
390 Posts
With a gooseneck and all trailers, The closer the axles are to the hitch, the Better the turning radius...Axle placement is Everything...

Go measure your fathers gooseneck from hitch to front axle... All goosenecks are not the same ...There are difference’s ...

My gooseneck is 20 ft Hitch to front axle.....deck length 30ft total length 37ft ...
My 5thwheel is 19 ft ...Total length 33ft

I had a gooseneck that turned like crap and It was hard to get into small driveway entrances without tearing down mail boxes or gates ...I sold that one ...
It was a 35ft deck 40ft overall length ..The axles where almost all the way to the back of the trailer...I Hated that trailer...It was A Beautiful Trailer Just handled like crap ...

I drive my empty gooseneck thru McDonald’s and Hardee’s drive thru’s ...

RV 5th wheels axles are slightly to the rear but almost centered, They Turn and Handle Very Nice.....
Your old trailer would have been great heading down the interstate, nice and stable. That's the trade off though, stability vs. turning ability.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts