RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Towing pointers

6K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  RIckL 
#1 ·
I am going to be towing my 34’ travel trailer with my ram 2019, 2500 Cummins. I will be traveling from the Central Valley Ca. Up to mammoth lakes next week. After much debate. I decided to take highway 88. Highway 108 was a no go for me. 120 Tioga pass thru Yosemite is a tourist nightmare. So. Highway 88 it is.Do you guys have any pointers when towing in high altitudes. I know the basics. Don’t ride your breaks in the way down, don’t push the tow vehicle to hard on the way up. And take it slow. Any other pointers. I guess I am a bit nervous about driving Cliff side.
Thanks guys.

#3 ·
Generally Whatever comfortable speed I crest the top is where I (road surface permitting) set my cruise / exhaust brake for a comfortable safe decent speed. This does not require use of your truck service brakes for controlling speed down despite the trailer push. Brakes last and are cool for stopping or needed hard slow downs.

Should be no worries with 2500 just common sense. Watch road surfaces speed and leave plenty of room for other traffic. Don’t let people push you into a tight stack leave room in front of you.

Altitude does not affect turbocharged trucks. That was a naturally aspirated gasoline & carburetor problem.

Reactions: sourdo and Crash68
#7 ·
Generally Whatever comfortable speed I crest the top is where I (road surface permitting) set my cruise / exhaust brake for a comfortable safe decent speed. This does not require use of your truck service brakes for controlling speed down despite the trailer push. Brakes last and are cool for stopping or needed hard slow downs.

Should be no worries with 2500 just common sense. Watch road surfaces speed and leave plenty of room for other traffic. Don’t let people push you into a tight stack leave room in front of you.

Altitude does not affect turbocharged trucks. That was a naturally aspirated gasoline & carburetor problem.
Vern I never really use cruise control. Do you set it for downhill as well?

#4 ·
With the CTD turn the exhaust brake on and let it do the work. Unless your TT is really heavy the CTD won't really break too much of a sweat, you'll know it's working and unless the coolant starts to get hot just let the engine work(you ain't gonna hurt it). When you pull off the road from towing, let the engine idle for about 5 minutes to let everything cool off.

#8 ·
Well with the GDE tune & turbo brake option with how it works with the 8 speed.. Yes. Say I crest at 50 set my cruise at 50 and the hill / trailer pushes it to 55 the turbo & transmission brake will kick on and slow you back to 50 then hold your speed there. You can even bump or lower cruise control.

That part will probably work differently for the Cummins & 6 speed though.

#11 ·
When you have a truck that tows as easily as a Cummins Ram, don't let it lull you into forgetting that you are actually towing a big trailer! My Ecodiesel tows so much better than my last hemi Ram, sometimes I have to keep looking in the mirror to remind myself. Have fun!

Reactions: Wscuellar
#12 ·
RickL ... I believe your towing your New Fifth-wheel ?
If it’s your first time towing a 5th ? They turn extremely nice and backing up is really nice as well ...
While driving down the road Pay attention to the turning characteristics of how the trailer tracks in your trucks tracking. Basically/ Hopefully it should track almost the same as the truck... Watching trailer tires while going around corners Ect...

You have your mirrors Up , I adjust my bottom mirror to watch the trailer tires tracking this way you’ll learn how to get around gas stations/ Restaurants with confidence ...

When backing a 5th you do not need to move your truck very much to move your trailer side to side , Basically slightly turning the steering wheel will move your trailer ...

Remember back slowly, it’s easier to correct...

You and your Lady need to learn hand signals for backing into a tight spot, Always remind her to stand to side of trailer in FULL VIEW OF YOUR MIRRORS....

First trip might seem overwhelming, It only gets Much Better and Easier....

I Hope you Have A Great First Trip!!! Report back with your experience’s !!!!!

#13 ·
Hmmm my experience with a gooseneck is that it takes a lot more truck correction to get it turning.

I also find that they tend to not track nearly as well and you need to take wide turns. Followed my dad towing our gooseneck for the first time and had to beat the horn to keep him from knocking the front end off a parked pickup truck, he has towed trailers for years and years, but this was the first gooseneck.

#18 ·
With a gooseneck and all trailers, The closer the axles are to the hitch, the Better the turning radius...Axle placement is Everything...

Go measure your fathers gooseneck from hitch to front axle... All goosenecks are not the same ...There are difference’s ...

My gooseneck is 20 ft Hitch to front axle.....deck length 30ft total length 37ft ...
My 5thwheel is 19 ft ...Total length 33ft

I had a gooseneck that turned like crap and It was hard to get into small driveway entrances without tearing down mail boxes or gates ...I sold that one ...
It was a 35ft deck 40ft overall length ..The axles where almost all the way to the back of the trailer...I Hated that trailer...It was A Beautiful Trailer Just handled like crap ...

I drive my empty gooseneck thru McDonald’s and Hardee’s drive thru’s ...

RV 5th wheels axles are slightly to the rear but almost centered, They Turn and Handle Very Nice.....

#15 ·
My experience with bumper pulls has been quite limited to a tandem axle enclosed where you could fit two 2up quads end to end. I found it tracks closer to where the truck goes and didn't need much input to back up.

A majority of what we tow is either our 5 horse goose neck, 10 bale self tipping trailer or the tridem flat deck. All are really long. I find they dog leg (if thats the correct term) and you have to make much wider turns you you don't eat curbs. I find them more forgiving when backing as you need a bit more steering wheel inputs to get them turning.

Glad you got a 5th wheel over a bumper pull. I find they tow substantially better, just more stability and you can really manipulate them better when backing.

#17 ·
Good you are checking the brakes. Our 5 horse progressively got worse, just to find the wiring was shot. Then they got worse again, just to find the shoes delaminated.

New complete Dexter backing plates were cheaper and easier to install than new shoes and magnets. Mine are getting weak again so its time to adjust and clean the grounds.

Mine were the manual adjust 12x2". I think they were 6,000 pound but shopping around the same dimension 7,000 pound were cheaper.

#21 ·
I ended up needing new breaks all the way around. I guess this is what happens when you purchase an older unit. If it really did sit for 7-8 years. Would the break unit just naturally wear and need replacing? I only have the information that the previous owner provided. The tires did look brand new, and we’re from 2013 but had a lot of cracking in the threads. I just hope the shop isn’t just saying I need new breaks and not just redoing them to do them.

#22 ·
I would say there is a HIGH probability they are just saying it needs new breaks. Our TT was 23 years old when we parted ways with it in 2020 and had the original functioning brakes on it. We have had a gooseneck with dual axle brakes for 14 years same story original brakes. Both would still lock up the tires if set aggressively.

Ours were not subjected to potential corrosive road coatings or mountain terrain. They did not experience high mileage but still get around. If you take something to a shop and ask if it needs to be replaced there is a high probability its gonna need to be replaced.

#24 ·
No doubt, safer to have it done than not know.

Im a cheap SOB and a tinkerer by nature. A few minutes with a jack and some hand tools and you could see for yourself. I know not everyone is into that kind of thing, but it makes my world go round. In the end you made the right call checking or having it checked.

#25 ·
I am right there with you. I am cheap as well. My kids even tell me how cheap I am, all the time. 😂, I just don’t have that equipment or space to do it my self. or the time with such short notice. I will be resealing my own TPO roof though. Not going to pay anyone to do that.

#27 ·
Regarding trailer brakes - DO NOT OVER-GREASE.

What happens is the inner seals get blown out by the grease pressure and you don't know that. The seals open into the brake cavities. Then grease gets flung all over the brake shoes, forming a hard coating on the shoes that literally stops (hate to use that work with brakes) them from working well.

The solution is obviously new inner seals to go with total brake assembly replacement. The trouble is not only the brake shoes but the inner drums where the shoes are scraping against. If you grease responsibly, that may just be a bad thing to do. Finding the happy medium for greasing those hubs is touchy.

Now, don't ask me how I know. My current toy hauler is a 2008 model. E Trailer has complete brake assemblies at good prices. I found that out. Bummer.

** 11.4 mpg towing that toy hauler about 2,500 miles on a mountain and interstate trip the past month. The Cummins pulls easily but I pull too fast up hills and on interstates, increasing wind resistance dramatically.

Reactions: Patroller8D
#31 ·
Regarding trailer brakes - DO NOT OVER-GREASE.

What happens is the inner seals get blown out by the grease pressure and you don't know that. The seals open into the brake cavities. Then grease gets flung all over the brake shoes, forming a hard coating on the shoes that literally stops (hate to use that work with brakes) them from working well.

The solution is obviously new inner seals to go with total brake assembly replacement. The trouble is not only the brake shoes but the inner drums where the shoes are scraping against. If you grease responsibly, that may just be a bad thing to do. Finding the happy medium for greasing those hubs is touchy.

Now, don't ask me how I know. My current toy hauler is a 2008 model. E Trailer has complete brake assemblies at good prices. I found that out. Bummer.

** 11.4 mpg towing that toy hauler about 2,500 miles on a mountain and interstate trip the past month. The Cummins pulls easily but I pull too fast up hills and on interstates, increasing wind resistance dramatically.
[/QUOTE
That is 100% what happened to mine. The shop told me the previous owner had pumped so much grease into them that the seals ruptured. Also got grease all over the break pads and drum. Along with the interior springs and other components. He tried cleaning the drums but opted for new ones. Said it would take him longer to clean them. And the price difference was minimal. He did show me the old break system, the pads were Literally brand new from sitting and never being used. But some times too lube is also not good. I’ll remember that for the bedroom. 😂

#29 ·
MAS Rick you know what they call a dad who isn’t “cheap”.. broke. Remember when your parents were stupid & lacking until you had your own kids and you began to realize how wise your parents really were. See there is hope. 🙂

#36 ·
My opinion, since the inner seals are not visible to see, is just a couple pumps "on occasion". Brakes do not mate well with grease. That is a fact. Pump grease in and the seals blow out the back. Well, they can also blow out the front.

If you have a form of Bearing Buddy, stop when the spring just starts to compress. Even that may be too much. Now I just pump a couple times and look to see there is no compression. Maybe every couple to three thousand miles at most do I do that.

Here is a case when it may be better to not have grazable hubs. Just take out the bearings, slap some grease on both inner and outer, then put the mess back together with proper torque. Oh ... that is a Royal PIA of dirty work. Agree so see the paragraph above.

Reactions: BrianF
#37 ·
I shoot a few pumps in a couple times a year. I repacked them a few years ago when I did the backing plates. I slathered some fresh grease into the void between the bearings and called it a day.

I also check the hubs during every tow. I just feel for temperature. So far so good and they barely get warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.