RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ED friends,
Whats everyone opinion on towing a Travel Trailer?
I have a 2017 Ram ED 3.55 gears it just had a brand new crate engine installed as I blew my original at 88k miles.
Anyway I have a Travel trailer that has a dry weight of 7260 pounds, I usually put in about 20 gallons of water (160#) and with the groceries, clothing, and miscellaneous stuff maybe another 500 pounds.
My Weight distribution system weights 120 pounds.
I put 2 Electric bicks in the bed of the truck with a few miscellaneous things maybe 200 pounds.
So all together about 8300 pounds cargo in truck and TT. Me the wife and dogs are about 450 pounds.
According to dealership I should be just fine.
Would appreciate some opinions.
馃槉 thanks

Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
Look on the drivers side b-pillar and it will tell you what the truck is rated to tow and your pay load with the options on your truck.
There's no tag on the door pillar that spells out how much you can tow directly. You'll find the vehicle GVWR and the GAWR(front and rear). From there one has to weight the truck, trailer and do the maths.
Even still the vehicle GCVWR is not listed on the truck. Some states have hard numbers based on the weight class of vehicle other you plate the vehicle for what your going to be towing.

Registered
Your setup is pretty close to the weight I was towing with my 14 eco with 3.55. It did ok as long as I stayed 62 and below. It did not like big hills or bridges.

It never felt unstable but it was obvious it was at its limits especially if the wind was blowing across. Just for the comfort, stability and ability to go anywhere I upgraded the truck to a 2500 CTD.

But short trips in flat land should be fine.

Registered
2017 1500 CC Laramie
I am towing similar weight to you, but I do have 3.92 gears. Doesn't cause me any issues. As others have said, check your payload numbers on your B pillar sticker, that will help you determine if your pushing it. I am sure its close but its probably do-able.

If you go to this website and enter your vin, it usually will give you the tow capacity and payload information there. My 17 CC laramie is 1320 payload and 8970lbs tow capacity which the payload matches my door sticker at least.

Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
I wouldn't do it. You are at max or more weight. The 1500 suspension isn't for that kind of load. Even with a good WDH and sway control if you encounter serious weather or wind, or have to make an evasive maneuver you'll be in big trouble. If you do go that route IMO Timber Grove or similar airbags are mandatory. If possible, get a 2500.

Reactions: sourdo

Registered
I tow that weight often with my 3.55 2016 truck, and my towing capacities are the lowest of nearly every Ecodiesel. I do have some modifications that help. But for you, I'd be sure to have good sway control, whether it's designed into the WDH or an add-on. Also watch the temp screen on the EVIC and let the oil temp dictate your climb speed on hills. I rarely exceed 65mph, truck just flat works all day long at 2500rpm.

Registered
Your heavy but just watch oil temp. Running high oil temp for long periods of time or even short distance like climbing mountains where the oil gets extremely hot is what kills the oil coolers causing leaks from what I hear. Running truck at half or little more capacity on trailer extends the engine life compared to max trailer weight.

Registered
I was curious and checked my Gross weight on my truck. I compared to my CAT scale ticket and seen I was 800 pounds over due to my load in rear of truck along with the trailer. She handled it fine. I would just suggest stay around 65 or less and change different fluids at half the recommended interval. The fluids breaks down faster with heat. I am a heavy haul truck driver and truck did great. 4k mile trip.

Premium Member
as long as you're below the axle ratings, the chassis and tranny and drivetrain can handle it, the engine is fine if you treat it like a 90's 350 that you should've never used overdrive with lol. it can be slow going when she runs out of HP. I've towed in that weight range into the adirondacks, just be patient, goto the scales and get it setup right. mines really picky on the setup because of the factory air. my truck is exactly 5,000lbs as i drive it around daily full of fuel. because we rent the trailer and pick it up halfway to camp, it's kinda like tent camping where EVERYTHING is in the truck, then you drop on 800lbs of tongue weight. I run E-Rated tires which really helped the confidence and the tires are much lower temps.

just get it setup right, stay below the axle ratings and have fun.

I have 3.92 gears..... and would mind 4.10's.

also, if possible don't take the water, fluids in the trailer is just annoying and dead weight if you absolutely can do without it.

Registered
Our widebody travel trailer weighs about 7,000 lbs when loaded. We've towed from coast to coast and many states in-between. We use the Equal-i-zer hitch, Timber Grove Air Springs, and the honeycomb front grille. It gets hot on the mountain passes, so I'm planning to install the GDE thermostat as soon as the AEM warranty is up.

Super Moderator
Lol I dumped the AEM warranty before leaving the dealership lot. I just wanted the $3k and a great running reliable truck. I already had the engine and trans tunes to make it better than new. Plus it was a requirement that the gooberment overloards wanted us to bow to. Nevermind Constitutional law we don't really live in a free country anymore.

Generally I think 8k is the comfortable limit of the 4th gen 1500s. Its also the practical limit of meeting Mfgr specs. The Hensley is top shelf and really eliminates any possible oscillating sway. But it still needs to be adjusted. Seen lots of people leaving the majority of what they could have achieved for stability and safety on the table so to speak by not knowing how to set a WDH up.

It's always best to set it up via Cat scale results. Being replace what the unload steer axle weight is with the trailer attached. 2nd according to scale slips and basic math set your tongue weight to be in the 10 to 15% of gross trailer weight range. I adjust towards 12.0% as I found that is always sufficient even with a box front TT 65 mph and passing trucks. Now you have a super stable truck & trailer. That said you can get in the ball park using front wheel well measurements. Measure its height unloaded. Then add trailer and adjust WDH and loading so that the front wheel well height comes back down to within 1/2" of the stock unloaded wheel well height. Additionally if you have air bags ideally axle to frame type such as Timbergroves its a great compliment to the WDH. It will support and stabilize the rear suspension over pot holes and rough road dramatically improving the ride and keeping the suspension road compliant keeping the tires on the road. Bonus it improves the stance so that the truck is always at least level.

Unfortunately you are not out of the woods. It could still easily get hot on a long grade or into the wind at speed. Two things really help. An SLT or Tradesman honeycomb style grill. Many other grills especially the Big Horns restrict much needed air flow. Its much needed as its already compromised in the 4th gens due to Ram putting the intercooler in front of the radiator. They corrected this in the 5th gens and it dramatically raised what they were allowed to tow while meeting SAE J2806 standards. The other thing is on a long steep climb you limit your rpms to 3k and let the transmission drop to whatever gear and speed it needs. This way you won't cross the oil or coolant derate temps where the computer pulls fuel & timing to protect the motor. Derate can result in being slowed to 15 mph instead of steaming up the grade at 45 or 50 mph.

Last power and braking. An aftermarket engine & trans tune. The engine tune measurably helps power and the transmission tunes allows a lot more of it to get to the wheels. On top of that the software enables the turbo to be used as a brake. Especially when put with a factory TBC trailer brake controller these can be used to control down hill speed despite the trailer pushing you without heating up and wearing out your truck brakes. Keeping them cool for an emergency stop. The tunes also generally close the EGR valves so that soot isn't recirculated through your motor causing maintenance, clogging. and wear issues. Many of these trucks have burned to the ground not from towing but from the EPAs mandated EGR, clogging the plastic intake to where it melts and causes the antifreeze to start a super heated engine fire. The EPA has never been held responsible for this either. Leaving the consumer his insurance company or Ram holding the bag.

Now do you still want to tow an 8,300 pound parachute with it? These tweaks & tips allowed me to tow a 9,100 TT over a 1,000 miles from Portland to LA up and over 5-6% grades. Never had an issue even managed to average 14.0 mpg for the trip. Today I also have a 2500 with Cummins and would pick it for this job.

Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
also, if possible don't take the water, fluids in the trailer is just annoying and dead weight if you absolutely can do without it.
I would amend this comment - always keep enough water on board for a few night's stay in your trailer for when your engine grenades. I learned this lesson the hard way when I had to hand carry a case of water 2 miles from the nearest WalMart last summer.

Registered
We keep at least 20 gallons of freshwater onboard as we travel. This allows us to use the bathroom and wash our hands. The refrigerator is always stocked with food/drinks. We also keep a smaller cooler with drinks/snacks.

Registered
Hello ED friends,
Whats everyone opinion on towing a Travel Trailer?
I have a 2017 Ram ED 3.55 gears it just had a brand new crate engine installed as I blew my original at 88k miles.
Anyway I have a Travel trailer that has a dry weight of 7260 pounds, I usually put in about 20 gallons of water (160#) and with the groceries, clothing, and miscellaneous stuff maybe another 500 pounds.
My Weight distribution system weights 120 pounds.
I put 2 Electric bicks in the bed of the truck with a few miscellaneous things maybe 200 pounds.
So all together about 8300 pounds cargo in truck and TT. Me the wife and dogs are about 450 pounds.
According to dealership I should be just fine.
Would appreciate some opinions.
馃槉 thanks
I have a 2020 1500 eco-diesel with 3.92 gears. I towed a 1987 El Camino on a U-Haul car trailer non-stop from Denver to San Antonio effortlessly. I didn't even know it was there and got 26mpg the whole way. I do have the extra tow package as well.

Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
I have a 2020 1500 eco-diesel with 3.92 gears. I towed a 1987 El Camino on a U-Haul car trailer non-stop from Denver to San Antonio effortlessly. I didn't even know it was there and got 26mpg the whole way. I do have the extra tow package as well.
You've got what I'm going to be looking for this year. 2020+ and 3.92 gears to replace my 2015.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts