RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
I honestly fell into my 2016 with 3.92 gears along with factory trailer brake controller.
I bought her not even thinking about or owning a trailer. I have gone bigger on tires so it's probably more like a 3.55 gear. I spin 2k at 70 mph. Lose fuel economy as a 3.21 at qbout 1,700 for same speed but the ecodiesel Likes to work and not be light throttled. Wasn't till after I bought it I looked at window sticker. The 3.92 was option as trailer brake. So I know previous owner bought her to work

· Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
412 Posts
I honestly fell into my 2016 with 3.92 gears along with factory trailer brake controller.
I bought her not even thinking about or owning a trailer. I have gone bigger on tires so it's probably more like a 3.55 gear. I spin 2k at 70 mph. Lose fuel economy as a 3.21 at qbout 1,700 for same speed but the ecodiesel Likes to work and not be light throttled. Wasn't till after I bought it I looked at window sticker. The 3.92 was option as trailer brake. So I know previous owner bought her to work
Typically one buys a truck to haul/tow. If you rarely do either it isn't beneficial to anyone. The diesel grocery getters are just driving up the diesel cost for the rest of us that work our trucks as intended.

Reactions: SlowRoller

· Registered
245 Posts
as long as you're below the axle ratings, the chassis and tranny and drivetrain can handle it, the engine is fine if you treat it like a 90's 350 that you should've never used overdrive with lol. it can be slow going when she runs out of HP. I've towed in that weight range into the adirondacks, just be patient, goto the scales and get it setup right. mines really picky on the setup because of the factory air. my truck is exactly 5,000lbs as i drive it around daily full of fuel. because we rent the trailer and pick it up halfway to camp, it's kinda like tent camping where EVERYTHING is in the truck, then you drop on 800lbs of tongue weight. I run E-Rated tires which really helped the confidence and the tires are much lower temps.

just get it setup right, stay below the axle ratings and have fun.

I have 3.92 gears..... and would mind 4.10's.

also, if possible don't take the water, fluids in the trailer is just annoying and dead weight if you absolutely can do without it.
I camp alot. I usually put in like 10 gallons of fresh water in my holding tank. Remember it's an ecodiesel that can blow up at anytime. At least if it does I have a little water to flush toilets while waiting for a wrecker. 100 pounds water won't make a difference in weight as much as having to do without in emergency situations
Typically one buys a truck to haul/tow. If you rarely do either it isn't beneficial to anyone. The diesel grocery getters are just driving up the diesel cost for the rest of us that work our trucks as intended.
I pull trailers almost every weekend now. The few grocery getters you refer too won't make a penny difference in diesel prices.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
......................... The few grocery getters you refer too won't make a penny difference in diesel prices.
Think how many more pickups and big SUVs are on the road compared to 30 or 50 years ago. There aren't that many more people towing and hauling, AFAIK. On top of that, the guys with the trucks are often the ones driving the fastest, although not all are diesels. I had a jerkwad pass me in the 2-way TURN LANE a few days ago, pouring out black smoke. Where's LEO when you need him? (Cue the doughnut jokes!)

Reactions: 1shadowsabre

· Registered
583 Posts
Be sure to use an anti sway hitch and if you don't have air ride get the Timber Grove ASAM system.
If you'd like a set of the Timber Grove's Ziggy referenced look in the For Sale section - I have just the ticket ;)

Bob

Reactions: DrivingZiggy
21 - 26 of 26 Posts