RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have logged in on my Ram sight it is showing my truck at max towing 9754 lbs. GWR , pay load is 1354 lbs but the door sticker is showing 7200 lbs GWR and pay load 1355 lbs.. so which one do I go by?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My gut reaction is:

IF (and thats a huge IF) you get pulled over for being overweight, the cop is going to look at the sticker on the truck, not the website. If you try to argue with him on the spot, you'll get the worse end of the deal. And if you try to fight it in court, they are likely to follow the same rule. The sticker on the truck is the gospel, anything else is just a reference.

Having said that, I'd contact FCA and find out why their documentation doesn't match.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
For any vehicle, the GVWR is what the truck can weigh total including payload/tongue weight as if you parked the truck on a scale. GVWR is not how much your trailer is limited to.
Your GCWR is the truck and trailer weight together, that is limited by the vehicle classification or an Elected Gross Weight.
You can tow a 9754 lbs trailer behind the truck as long as you don't exceed the truck's total weight of 7200 lbs or either of your GAWRs. In theory you could have a GCW a little over 16K lbs.
Don't trust the website number, they have been known to be wrong. For correct numbers, look up the SAE J2807 towing and hauling rating for the truck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going only by the sticker to be. I never argue with the law officers,I just be polite, yes sir and no sir.I know how they feel about a smart a**, I was in law enforcement for six years as second job when I was real young.There is no amount of money to get me back in law enforcement with all that is going out there. 70+ now and was call back to 2 years ago. They are wanting to stay 3 more years part time and that will work for me.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My gut reaction is:

IF (and thats a huge IF) you get pulled over for being overweight, the cop is going to look at the sticker on the truck, not the website.
Realistically, are any halfers getting pulled over and weighed by LE? Just not happening.

That being said, educate yourself and tow smart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey OP, what’s the specs on your truck. I’m curious to see what the real life payloads are with these diesel. I’d want a big horn or Laramie but I’d assume the Laramie wouldn’t afford enough payload for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts