RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post here, been hiding in the background reading posts for about a year now.

Running a 2017 Big horn crew cab 5.7 bed ED 20k miles, 4x4, 3.92 gears, 4" BDS suspension lift, Bilstein 5100 front shocks, Air lift 1000 bags in rear coils, Pedal commander PC31

I was towing a 2017 Heartland Sundance 28ft travel trailer when, on the return portion of a trip, the message "Service Electronic Throttle Control" flashed on screen, then the screen flashed tow/haul mode active and finally back to SETC message. It flashed back and forth a couple times before going back to my pre-selected temperature monitor screen and then my check engine light came on. At this point in the trip, we had already been towing the trailer with the pedal commander set on lowest city mode setting and tow/haul mode had been activated when towing the trailer. We had gone approximately 1000 miles at this point over a 5 day period. We travelled through mountains with steep grades and had no issues at all. When the SETC messaged appeared, the trailer was at its lightest weight of approx. 5000 lbs (not including probably a couple hundred pounds of gear), the tanks had been dumped and we were headed down the mountains. I attempted to turn off PC when we stopped during our return trip and check engine light remained on.

The check engine light proceeded to go away once I got to my destination, unhooked the trailer and was no longer in tow/haul mode. I've read that this error message may be a common issue with our trucks but I am wondering if pedal commander could have caused this issue with towing with tow/haul mode activated? ECM becoming conflicted with different throttle responses being sent? Not sure at all what to think of it but I would like to get some opinions from you all so I can remain safe with future trips. Thank you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello all! First post here, been hiding in the background reading posts for about a year now.

Running a 2017 Big horn crew cab 5.7 bed ED 20k miles, 4x4, 3.92 gears, 4" BDS suspension lift, Bilstein 5100 front shocks, Air lift 1000 bags in rear coils, Pedal commander PC31

I was towing a 2017 Heartland Sundance 28ft travel trailer when, on the return portion of a trip, the message "Service Electronic Throttle Control" flashed on screen, then the screen flashed tow/haul mode active and finally back to SETC message. It flashed back and forth a couple times before going back to my pre-selected temperature monitor screen and then my check engine light came on. At this point in the trip, we had already been towing the trailer with the pedal commander set on lowest city mode setting and tow/haul mode had been activated when towing the trailer. We had gone approximately 1000 miles at this point over a 5 day period. We travelled through mountains with steep grades and had no issues at all. When the SETC messaged appeared, the trailer was at its lightest weight of approx. 5000 lbs (not including probably a couple hundred pounds of gear), the tanks had been dumped and we were headed down the mountains. I attempted to turn off PC when we stopped during our return trip and check engine light remained on.

The check engine light proceeded to go away once I got to my destination, unhooked the trailer and was no longer in tow/haul mode. I've read that this error message may be a common issue with our trucks but I am wondering if pedal commander could have caused this issue with towing with tow/haul mode activated? ECM becoming conflicted with different throttle responses being sent? Not sure at all what to think of it but I would like to get some opinions from you all so I can remain safe with future trips. Thank you!
So this could be the PC..there have been random acts of erroneous behaviour like this reported by other PC users...I have been running one for 20,000 miles on my 2017 same exact build Laramie with zero issues...GDE? Maybe...but some have disconected their battery for a bit..kinda reset and all went back to normal..no codes.
Not much help..maybe something there for next event..or use your external monitor ro clear.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have run a Pedal Commander for most of my Ram's 74,000 miles, nary a problem, GDE tune, though. I'd try disconnecting it for a while.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I don't have the pedal commander, but I have experienced the code. My engine shut down a few times coming to a stop, but then started right up and ran perfectly. CEL eventually went away. I have not had a single instance of this happening since putting in a new battery.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
What are the trouble codes you pulled?

I'd remove the PC, reset the codes, and rock on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never was able to pull any codes dropped trailer off and had to continue driving another couple hours. Once the trailer was off and continued to drive the CEL was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts