RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe somebody knows if the Eco Diesel can be towed, I know it has a transfer case that can be placed in neutral but does Ram recommend it to be able to tow 4 down for a distance. I tow a Tahoe behind my Motorhome now and was thinking about towing this - if it can be towed :):)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm 99% sure it can be flat towed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
There's a section in the manual about how to do it.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Think someone on here had a link to that download. I guess it's the same thing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes, it's here somewhere. I downloaded all of the manuals. Go to RamTrucks.com; owners; (and a few more clicks, just cannot remember)

No VIN required.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oh hail to thee, computer master of the universe! (Thanks for completing what I couldn't remember.)

·
Registered
13,970 Posts

Think this is the lever you have to pull. It's behind a cover above the emergency brake pedal.

Pulling that disconnects the transmission for pushing or towing without dealing with any kind of key position issue. I pull it to push the truck in the garage.

·
Registered
544 Posts
2 wheel drive models cannot be flat towed unless the rear wheels are off the ground. 4 wheel drive models can be flat towed see quote from the on line owner's manual page 140 below (details on how to shift the transfer case into neutral are on page 142 &143)

Recreational Towing — Four-Wheel Drive Models
NOTE:
Both the manual shift and electronic shift transfer cases must be shifted into
NEUTRAL (N) for recreational towing. Automatic transmissions must be shifted into
PARK for recreational towing. Manual transmissions must be placed in gear (NOT in
NEUTRAL) for recreational towing. Refer to the Owner’s Manual on the DVD for
further information.

·
Registered
284 Posts
IMO the best way to flat tow any vehicle is to remove the drive shaft(s)...this will allow you to flat tow a 2wd (remove rear drive shaft) or 4wd (remove both front & rear drive shaft)... Make sure to block the wheels before you remove the drive shaft(s). For the few minutes it takes, you then have nothing to worry about.

If you can't do this, then as stated about for a 4wd models put the transfer case in neutral as per the manual. Chances are everything will be ok but I've seen transfer cases damaged this way because the fluid isn't properly getting circulated. And 2wd models should be dollied with the drive wheels on the dolly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts