RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently towed my 31' Travel Trailer (~8400 LBS) back and forth between New Brunswick, Canada and Florida. It was quite a trip, 3800 MI Round Trip. The truck worked great, rolling at 60-65 MPH. Anything more than that got a little scary with swaying. Averaged around 12.7MPG. Used cruise mostly in the lower states. Wondering if this is good/bad/ugly?
Cheers, JDK

IMG_2845.JPG IMG_3153.JPG Truck.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've got the proper setup with sway bars and brake control...setup by the RV dealership.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Interested to know what the air temps were like and what your water, oil, and trans temps ran. Oh and what gears?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like it was a good trip. Odd that sway became an issue at higher speeds. I've not encountered that pulling similar. What do you attribute it to?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i'd say you have a perfect result for the truck & trailer combo. 12.7mpg over nearly 4k miles with a giant freaking anchor behind you is fantastic. there is still not a single truck on that market that can give the MPG results towing that the EcoD can - assuming we stay in limits of the EcoD of course :)

as for sway, lots of factors. did you have tires at max psi? do you have air suspension? are trailer tires at max psi? and of course at the end of the day *some* sway is going to happen. it's a 31' box of air behind you that weighs more than your truck. as long as you are not in danger or being a danger, i wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sway was more attributed to large trucks and especially buses...only a slight pull inward as they approach..and a slight push out as they pass...nothing out of control, but still tightened the sphincter a bit...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Leaving Air temps mid. Feb. at -13F until I reached Virginia...then they slowly climbed to Florida Mid 80's.
Return trip Mid. May...Florida 90F to 49F at home..
I kept the dash on my temperatures the entire trip...closely watching and they didn't alter much. I was really impressed.
Coolant temp. ~ 210-220
Trans. ~ 190-200
Oil ~ 235-240
Oil Pressure ~ 35PSI @ 1500-2000RPM.
Highest oil temp I recorded was 253F when I was going up a large hill in New York. I backed off and it dropped back quickly.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You're good. You are within the towing specs of the Hemi version of your truck. You just have a lower tow rating because our 220hp is like bringing a knife to a gun fight when it's time to test the truck's ability to drag race up a mountain pulling a trailer. I live in coastal GA and pull a trailer almost as heavy as yours and it works great, altho I put some airbags inside my rear coil springs. Unless you decide to start pulling your rig routinely over big mountains, I'd say that your EcoD is plenty of truck for the load.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
JDK, for the most part it sounds like a great trip. What brand of hitch did the dealer instal ? The sway when trucks pass you makes me think the anti sway was not set properly. With a good WDH with anti sway set properly there should be no sway. What was the total weight of you truck/trailer combo loaded for the trip. I tow a similar weight outfit and tow at 59/60 mph with the tranny set in 7th which I feel is a good speed for complet control in any situation that may arise. Ray

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Looks like a giant door near the front of maybe that's a window. Maybe little weight near the front and low tongue weight?

Just trying to figure out what looks like a "toy hauler door" near the front and nothing behind that. Little tongue weight makes for the tail wagging the dog.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Looks like a giant door near the front of maybe that's a window. Maybe little weight near the front and low tongue weight?

Just trying to figure out what looks like a "toy hauler door" near the front and nothing behind that. Little tongue weight makes for the tail wagging the dog.
I think those are patio doors Cap.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The sway was more attributed to large trucks and especially buses...only a slight pull inward as they approach..and a slight push out as they pass...nothing out of control, but still tightened the sphincter a bit...
What you describe here is not sway. We all experience this. This is caused from a passing rig taking your air away as they pass then getting it back when they get by. Sway is the trailer moving independent of the tow vehicle. What you experienced here is the truck and trailer being moved as a single unit. Sway control can't stop that.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
My thoughts were the same as WARSWs. The description suggests more wind wake or vacuum and push from the aerodynamic changes attributed to the semi or bus as opposed to strictly trailer sway. Even with a 5er he would get that. Ok with the same size truck and trailer it would be to a lesser degree but you still get it. Heck sometimes when one semi passes another you get that. Biggest thing you can do to minimize this is to watch your mirror and make sure they are not too close to you when they come to pass. Scoot out closer to the outside of your lane an extra foot often makes the difference between a vacuum and no vacuum.

Odd thing is you really have to be paying attention in that it starts to happen a foot or two before the front of his bumper crosses the plane of the back of your trailer. This is why it often takes you by surprise. Also lots of newer truck drivers on the road and they are not always aware or thinking of it before they get to that point either. Experience & awareness is all that is required from either you or the other driver.

·
Registered
829 Posts

I was thinking what Cpt'nCoupled with the fact that the trailer axles are spaced close together unlike some of the newer trailers and they are positioned further forward causing a bit ,ore weight behind the axles vs forward. If it were mine, I would pack the trailer with some more weight forward of the axles causing more hitch weight and see what that does for you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was looking at a trailer that would be 8,500 loaded. This is a positive report, there have been mixed feelings about hauling loads that large. I am planning on buying a trailer for a summer trip with the wife and 4 kids.

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
Sounds like a good result!

I agree with the others, what you are describing is not sway, and perfectly normal as that column of air gets pulled past you from the other vehicle. I feel the same effect with no trailer at all, my truck gets pulled and the pushed when a semi goes past me at a higher rate of speed than I'm traveling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 6,500 TT and it pulled great from Houston to Denver; that i just got back home from. It did sway some on high cross winds. Maintained speeds between 60 and 67. Coolant temp was varied between 200 and 220; tranny temp stayed between 179 and 195. oil temp stayed around 240.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes, I've got the proper setup with sway bars and brake control...setup by the RV dealership.
If you cruise RV forums you'll read that most RV dealers don't set up a hitch properly. Some don't even get the correct spring bars for the tongue weight of the trailer. I suggest taking your rig to the truck scales (aka CAT scales) and weigh your rig. The scales have separate weights for each truck axle and the trailer axles so you need to weigh it 3 times. 1) truck alone 2) truck and trailer with WDH bars not engaged and 3) truck and trailer with WDH bars engaged. I found that my TT was set up close, with the front axle within 200 pounds of the truck alone weight. I experienced more sway than I felt comfortable with (having just traded down from a 5th wheel). I adjusted the hitch bars up one bolt hole and the front axle was within 60 pounds of the truck alone. Just this small change made a lot of improvement in the way the rig handles. Try the forum iRV2 for more details on doing the math with the weights from the scales.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts