RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking to get into the rv seen and was looking to rent a travel a few time to see if the experience is what I expect. Come to find out this 16 Ed 1500 is worthless for towing 1180 lbs payload is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
On the Ram 1500 lineup is the Ram EcoDiesel engine and it is a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine. This engine actually has a smaller displacement and produces lower maximum horsepower than the larger 3.6L Pentastar engine, but it produces a lot more torque, 420 lb-ft of torque, and it has a much higher towing capacity ranging from 8,300 pounds (3.55 axle ratio) and 9,300 pounds (3.92 axle ratio).

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I have been looking to get into the rv seen and was looking to rent a travel a few time to see if the experience is what I expect. Come to find out this 16 Ed 1500 is worthless for towing 1180 lbs payload is garbage.

What have you towed in the past?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's payload, isn't payload only in the box? I'm sure your good to tow 9200 or 9800lbs something like tht give me a sec.
Everything in the truck plus weight on the hitch. 6950 gvwr.
So maybe a 4000 lbs trailer. Figure 20% of that on the hitch- 800lbs plus me and some stuff puts me at the 1180 mark. That not even loading the trailer.

4000 lbs camper won’t cut it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I towed a 24’ travel trailer full of stuff. Child’s play for the ecodiesel even uphill.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Everything in the truck plus weight on the hitch. 6950 gvwr.
So maybe a 4000 lbs trailer. Figure 20% of that on the hitch- 800lbs plus me and some stuff puts me at the 1180 mark. That not even loading the trailer.

4000 lbs camper won’t cut it.

Your numbers are way off you should never do 20% tongue weight on a bumper pull 10-15% is considered good but staying down around10-12% is best. Also the payload capacity includes 300 lbs for passengers and full fluids.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I pull my 30' Toy Hauler just fine, usually in the 7500-8000# range. Hop on over to the towing section of this forum and have a look around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agr
Your numbers are way off you should never do 20% tongue weight on a bumper pull 10-15% is considered good but staying down around10-12% is best. Also the payload capacity includes 300 lbs for passengers and full fluids.
I wasn’t advocating 20% on the hitch just using it as a safety buffer against payload calculations.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pull my 30' Toy Hauler just fine, usually in the 7500-8000# range. Hop on over to the towing section of this forum and have a look around.
Thanks. I was looking at 33 for toy hauler. I will check out the towing section. Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Ecodiesel is far from a turd. I installed rear airbags and with the 3:92 gears, it tows better than my hemi with 3:23's. If there is any weakness with the diesel, the cooling system is a bit marginal when towing heavy trailers in the mountains.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I probably tow heavier than most. My loaded for the day boat comes in at 8600 pounds with the trailer. Usually nothing in the bed, but about 750 pounds of people weight inside. I tow around Utah, so I see a few hills. In the hills I watch my engine oil temps very carefully and adjust my speed accordingly. In the flats I CC at 68-70mph. I'm a very defensive driver, keep good distances, and am careful. The brakes on the truck (and trailer) are amazing and really help me feel confident. One of these days I'll get around to installing my aftermarket oil cooler and then I'll feel 100% confident in the towing capacity of this truck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve towed a 5500lb enclosed trailer across the Appalachian mountains from NC over to KY. Zero problems and zero struggles for the truck.
As far as bed payload... it’s fairly low compared to other 1/2 tons due to the coil over shock rear suspension vs the leaf springs that other trucks have.
I gotta say with the 9200lb towing capacity that hardly qualifies as a turd.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Don't panic. This truck tows great. I've been towing my 29' , 7,800 lb tt in and around the Adirondacks, Green and White Mountains with no problems at all.
It's not a speed demon but it will do the job as long as your not in a rush to go everywhere.
If you want to tow heavy AND FAST, move up to a 3/4 ton. You'll lose the fuel milage, comfy ride, the easy working height but a 3/4 ton is a work truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tow a 29' Jayco Whitehawk with opposing slides. It comes in at about 7500-8000lbs when loaded. My truck with WDH, air suspension, properly loaded TT and 3.92 pulls it thru the NC mountains well.
As commented above you just need to watch your temps on long steep grades, adjust your tongue weight with a proper WDH and load your TT correctly.
Personally I think 30' and 8000lbs TT would be the max for this stock truck to tow comfortably. Anything bigger on a 1500 platform would be a stretch. Not because it couldn't do it but because of the wind.
It can easily pull a flat bed trailer exceeding that weight.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
Dang it Jaxglide I missed that memo! This week I took a 30’ 6,800 pound Airstream from Ohio to Dallas TX and a 28’ 6,200 pound Airstream from Ohio to Okalahoma City OK. Towed them at 65 mph. I didn’t know it’s turd and can’t tow. I guess I didn’t know it was a race and just thought it pulled well from a stop and cruised 65 efficiently & effortlessly compared to a gasser. Maybe because it’s a diesel 8 speed and utilizes a WDH with built in sway control?

I mean I did once tow a 9,100 pound TT with a per CAT scale tongue weight of 1,100 pounds and I have to admit while I had no issues because of good set up it would have been better to have a HD for that job. Shoot I’ve put 645,000 miles on towing RVs with this truck because I didn’t know any better. And now with your sage advise that it’s a turd and garbage for towing with a weak payload sticker I don’t know what I should do. Should I report to the nearest Freightliner dealership?

Due to your advice should we go to the tow haul section and delete all the pictures in the show us your rig towing thread? Please advise. Ok so now that you may have an idea that the parrots on the TT forums know next nothing about what actually constitutes a safe stable tow and why or how to set up a truck & trailer for a safe stable tow. You might read deeper for better information and ask intelligent questions instead of parroting warnings of a dangerous payload sticker. Welcome to the world of especially TT towing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts