RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dang it Jaxglide I missed that memo! This week I took a 30’ 6,800 pound Airstream from Ohio to Dallas TX and a 28’ 6,200 pound Airstream from Ohio to Okalahoma City OK. Towed them at 65 mph. I didn’t know it’s turd and can’t tow. I guess I didn’t know it was a race and just thought it pulled well from a stop and cruised 65 efficiently & effortlessly compared to a gasser. Maybe because it’s a diesel 8 speed and utilizes a WDH with built in sway control?

I mean I did once tow a 9,100 pound TT with a per CAT scale tongue weight of 1,100 pounds and I have to admit while I had no issues because of good set up it would have been better to have a HD for that job. Shoot I’ve put 645,000 miles towing RVs with this truck because I didn’t know any better. And now with your sage advise that it’s a turd and garbage for towing with a weak payload sticker I don’t know what I should do. Should I report to the nearest Freightliner dealership?

Due to your advice should we go to the tow haul section and delete all the pictures in the show us your rig towing thread? Please advise. Ok so now that you may have an idea that the parrots on the TT forums know next nothing about what actually constitutes a safe stable tow and why or how to set up a truck & trailer for a safe stable tow. You might read deeper for better information and ask intelligent questions instead of parroting warnings of a dangerous payload sticker. Welcome to the world of especially TT towing.
I was gonna say... don't tell Vern. :D:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My apologies to everyone that has read this thread or will read this thread.

Vern the “towing god” has spoken....sharing all his wisdom and knowledge upon us.

Carry on. I’m out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Dang it, now you upset Vern! He gets a little touchy about his baby...:LOL:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My apologies to everyone that has read this thread or will read this thread.

Vern the “towing god” has spoken....sharing all his wisdom and knowledge upon us.

Carry on. I’m out

I hope your not leaving , there are lots of friendly and helpful people on here.
( especially Vern, he was just havin' some fun )

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
829 Posts
Use a WDH and that will fix your payload issue.

A 33' toy hauler really isn't a half ton rig, unless you're not towing long distance. Even with a 10k lbs tow rating, that's a lot for a half ton if you have a toy in there.

I have hauled our 30' travel trailer all from Dallas to Durango, CO and from Dallas to the Great Smokies and lots of places in between with zero issues. The ED far outpulls its tow rating IMHO. In all honesty, I think Ram in general is a little conservative with their ratings.

As far as towing, Vern has forgotten more about towing than you'll likely ever know. I do find it comical when someone makes a baseless, outlandish statement and then condemns those with much more experience who try to help him get a better understanding of what he's saying and what he's trying to do. I knew next to nothing about towing 4 years ago when I bought my ED. I PMed Vern on here and he provided some help, and I've had nothing but positive experiences towing a TT and my family all around this great country ever since.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I probably tow heavier than most. My loaded for the day boat comes in at 8600 pounds with the trailer.
You're fortunate your boat doesn't pull the wind that us TT haulers have to contend with. Sometimes I think that's as much an issue as the trailer weight lol.

Most I've pulled was 8900# with 3 quads in the toy hauler. Even through a 4th sport quad in the bed and the air suspension didn't bat an eye. The hills getting into the offroad part were a chore but the diesel chugged away.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Carry on. I’m out
Have a little thicker skin. You came to the right place for help, everyone here is great people, especially Vern. I'm sure you're not really that sensitive to a little ribbing.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Yep I mean no disrespect to you just having a little fun with it. It was only supposed to be some humor mixed in with good life towing people & forums experience. We have all been their especially if we towed a TT and tried self educating on a TT forum. So if their is any chastising it belongs with the forum parrots who tell you everything you need to know about towing is contained on a payload sticker. Great bunch of helpful & knowledgeable guys around here stick around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don’t doubt it can do it but legally and safely is the concern

I regularly tow my 6000# travel trailer and it is both legal and safe. Put over 5000 miles on last year and never had a problem or a scary moment. Towed to Mojave, CA, Trinidad, CO and Burning Man. None of those tows are flat BTW. ~750# tongue weight, wife and I 320#, some cargo in the back ~200# and a full tank of gas. My Tradesman is rated close to 1700# of cargo. It is 2 WD quad cab.
Canyon

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,589 Posts
You're fortunate your boat doesn't pull the wind that us TT haulers have to contend with. Sometimes I think that's as much an issue as the trailer weight lol.
Your definitely correct about the wind being the bigger contention while towing. While towing my boat which is about the 3K lbs I'm usually 20 mpgs. With the 24' enclosed which is also 3K when empty the fuel economy drops to about 15-16 if the wind is calm, when the wind whips up it will drop to 12-13.

·
Registered
116 Posts
20% is high for tongue weight. Load your trailer appropriately and use a weight distributing hitch and your golden.
Your correct, 20% is way to high, the tail is waging the dog. 10-12% tongue weight is where it should be. I tow a 6500 lb pontoon with a normal trailer not the narrow wheel trailer, the dam thing is almost 10' in the air to the top of the pontoon. My Eco pulls it perfect 70-75 mph down the highway no problem and still get 14-15 mpg. I love this truck for lightish duty towing.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
I can speak to high wind loads, western region towing and the ED.

This truck will exceed expectations towing in challenging conditions. Perfect? No, but I now realize what I was subjecting it to and just what an amazing half ton platform it is, especially with air suspension,nothing compares even today.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The Ecodiesel does tow heavier things. Issue seems to be related to heat and wind load on the sides of the trailer. Those giant trailers over 30' might be designed with a lower side-wind load, like Airstreams seem to be. Then things could be fine. Build the trailer like a tall long flat box, as many cheaper ones are, then you can get into trouble just because the tow vehicle is a lighter and smaller 1500 model.

It takes an experienced driver to tow under adverse conditions. Then often that driver will park the thing until conditions get more reasonable. Being blown around in the wind because you chose to use a smaller "tractor' for the tow is not a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The low payload number comes from the passenger tires. Put 10ply on and ignore that sticker.

It's no turd.

Thousands of miles with this 9,000# loaded pig. It's 1500 over gvw, and the profile is the only thing that it really struggles with. It works hard pushing that much air. Recently got a designated tow vehicle so it's a part time puller for this now but it still did the job the last 2 years!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The low payload number comes from the passenger tires. Put 10ply on and ignore that sticker.

It's no turd.

Thousands of miles with this 9,000# loaded pig. It's 1500 over gvw, and the profile is the only thing that it really struggles with. It works hard pushing that much air. Recently got a designated tow vehicle so it's a part time puller for this now but it still did the job the last 2 years!
That is sure a pretty Ecodiesel. Add that trailer and oh my. That is a big footprint to pull through the air.

Glad it worked for you. Big as that rig is, you would be more comfortable with the capabilities of a 2500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pulled this 40 from eastern TN to Ok without a whimper. It was a really pleasant trip, love the RAM ride! Now if FCA will get off their collective ass and correct a few "problems" all will be well in my world!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have been looking to get into the rv seen and was looking to rent a travel a few time to see if the experience is what I expect. Come to find out this 16 Ed 1500 is worthless for towing 1180 lbs payload is garbage.

I have a 2016 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 w/3.92 rear axle. The literature and websites list the max tow at anywhere between 8300-9300 lbs. Hard to find a firm capacity rating. But I tow a 30’ Travelite Evoke Model C without any problem. Dry weight of the trailer is 6670 lbs.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts