RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard great things about the 1500 ED, has anyone pulled travel trailers or boats over any steep grades? From what I have read, you have to put the ED to the bone up hill just to get 55-60mph??? I hope I heard wrong. I don't plan on pulling anything over 8k, just would like to know if this diesel can handle the Ca Sierras?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hi - check out the towing/hauling section. several members have posted their experiences. closest one to your situation is a person who towed a 31' TT through the Grapevine in SoCal. I live near you just outside of Sacramento - yes its going to handle the Sierras just fine.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
55 - 60 mph towing heavy up those nasty Western mountain roads is way too fast to be reasonable. I delivered huge trailers all over with a GM 6.5 diesel, Duramax and Cummins. Never. Never would I even want to go above say 45 mph pulling up those nasty hills.

One reason is other traffic. Many if not most 18 wheelers are in the 30's and you would have to pass with limited sight distance. Other campers and towing vehicles are also struggling. It would be like running a race in city traffic. Plus, you overheat and beat your truck. Makes no sense to me.

Then another issue is how little actual times you run into those nasty hill parts. Unless you love going up Donner Pass or Pikes Peak over and over and over, it's a non-issue.

Read around some of the threads here. You will find this engine in the 1500 Ram will tow decent loads into the 50's if you want to hammer it down. It's not a Cummins, It's less than 1/2 the size of a Cummins yet it does run like a 3/4 version with better fuel mileage.

Don't buy one. That will just increase the demand, drive up the prices, and limit availability for those that appreciate how nice they are.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
buy one - order 3.92 gears. turn on tow/haul mode. laugh at your MPG as you go up hill and wonder why you were concerned. with all the extra $$$ you saved on fuel, buy another toy to haul.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes, some reports of high temps on long hill climbs and laboring when towing heavy, higher drag travel trailers. Some issues could be related to letting the transmission decide when to shift. I'd buy it for the fuel economy if it met my towing needs. Otherwise it might make sense to sit back and monitor how well the ED treats others over the next few summer months.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I live in sac, hauled a 14x8 tandem trailer with a yamaha rhino and grizzly on it. Felt good, definitely had to downshift going up a few times.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So long as you can maintain a save speed and keep everything safe you are good to go. If you have to drop it too slow relative to average traffic speeds you become a road block.

Don’t get hung up over what you see those fast lane trucks guys doing. I don’t think anyone would really beat on their new trucks the way they do. It is interesting to see how vehicles make it up a pass like that with pedal to the metal, but they seem to take some risks. It isn’t worth passing/ripping up hills like that to save a few minutes on a multi-hour trip just to be the first to the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts