RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what would be the reason to shut off traction control ??

Thank you
mike

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Getting a boat off a slick ramp.

Want to smoke the tires.

Jumping out into traffic, and don't want to get crushed.

Ok. That last one isn't too bad on the diesel... but my last ram with a 4.7L... the traction control would kick in, and it would take 3~4 seconds to give you back throttle control. It really sucked on a busy highway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When busting through a snow drift!:cool:
Really any time you want continuous power to the wheels even if that are spinning.
THANK YOU , So I take it that the traction control take's some power away to keep you from sliding , but when you need full power shut it off , In my truck it is set to be on all the time unless you shut it off , So would you get better mpg's with it off ?

Thank you
mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nope it has nothing to do with fuel economy.
In theory traction control takes power away from a wheel as it starts to spin (to keep the vehicle from sliding or spinning out).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope it has nothing to do with fuel economy.
In theory traction control takes power away from a wheel as it starts to spin (to keep the vehicle from sliding or spinning out).
Thank you

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our trucks do sweet burnouts, for 5 seconds, then the power gets cut by the ECU! Saves tires tho....

·
Registered
391 Posts
ienjoydrifting - are you serious??? even if you hold the traction coltrol button dow to fully "disable" it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've used it to do a burn out. I had a cummins diesel beside me trying to act all cool (like I don't know that he would slaughter my truck in towing and tug o war). I guess he didn't think that I could break the rear end free. The 392's helped make the show even better! He seemed pleased after that.

lol.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
If you have an anti-slip rear differential, what does it matter?

I towed a trailer load of new windows down into a stream (hard rain filled a ditch) and back up the other side yesterday. Never slipped a tire and I know that just the tilting caused by the bank should have cut one of the wheels loose.

Nothing.

Did use the 4 wheel mode on a flat as I did not want to tear up grass that was under water during the deluge. Made no difference. Doubt traction control makes a difference if you have the anti-slip rear end.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also turn it off when stuck in mud or snow and rocking it back and forth to try and get un-stuck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I notice it on snowy roads and loose gravel roads. I hate the feeling of the power getting cut when the rear end gets a little loose. this is one gadget that I don't appreciate. It does kick in if you have the limited slip or not, but the tire really has to be spinning, if you are going slow and getting some traction it will not activate.
I think it is a good safety feature for someone not used to rear wheel drive but I don't like it. My gets turned off a lot especially in the winter months.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Not sure on these, but traction control on some vehicles (mine included) will put some brake on individual wheels when stuck. I found that out 2 years ago. High centered the damn Jeep in a drift. Got it out. Damn snow was black under the tailpipe as I was giving it throttle and traction control was applying brakes to control wheel spin.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts