RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2016 ED SLT Crew Cab 4x4 with less than 45,000 miles. It's in nearly pristine condition. I love it, but I neglected to check the axle ratio before buying it. I never tow anything, and even though it's probably only a 1-2 mpg penalty at highway speeds, the fuel economy is one of the main reasons I bought it. Plus, it seems silly to have all the tow package bells and whistles and never use them.

Anyone want to trade? I'm in SW Wisconsin. All I really care about is that it has less than 50k miles, is in REALLY nice shape, has the 3rd seat in the front row (that's a must), and is the short box. I have not (yet) installed the GDE engine and trans tunes, but plan to, so I'd be looking for the same in a trade.

Interested parties can direct message me and I can send photos, etc.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

That would be a real PIA. Even if you did find someone that would do it, who will do it? You would have to meet, get the trucks side-by-side and then be able or get someone to make the swap. Bet it's not so easy.

Then you will have to deal with the calibration of the speedometer. At least I think so if it is running off the transmission. I say, phooey!

Said phooey before on many things the are just not worth the problems that can come up. First there never was any kind of "towing package", no matter the rear-end ratio. You truck is the same except for that ratio. It actually may be good in that at normal highway speeds you will not be lugging the engine below 1,500 rpm as often. It has been proposed that lower rpm operation causes engine trouble. OK - sou you get 27 mpg instead of 28 mpg.

Be happy with what you have. It reads like a nice pickup that meets your expectations. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh, yes -- I'm looking to trade *trucks.* I thought that would be obvious, since swapping both the front and rear would be a real "PIA." Figured someone with a 3.55 might be thinking "it would really be nice to have that 3.92 for towing."

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Id swap the rear and front axle if I could, would never trade trucks. I know where mine has been and what its done.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Much easier to have a shop just swap the gears.

I have a 3.96 truck and get 30 on the highway. How much more you looking for?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Much easier to have a shop just swap the gears.

I have a 3.96 truck and get 30 on the highway. How much more you looking for?
You think so? I got a quote for roughly $5000 for a ram dealer to swap the gears. Im pretty sure stupid and ugly as I am I could swap the rear axles and front dif in a little time as a weekend job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would stick with the 3.92. With a GDE tune, the truck scoots pretty good and doesn't lug as much. I've noticed that my economy doesn't change running at 1800 or 2200 on the highway. I initially didn't want the 3.92 for economy reasons but after owning it, I wouldn't change it for the world.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Love my 3.92 ratio but I realize not everyone is the same.

This would be your chance to put on bigger tires! ;)

You can calculate what you need here. Then just get your speedo recalibrated.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Having the trucks side by side, it couldn’t take much more then a few hours to swap rear and front differentials right?

Drive on down here and we can make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Drive it for a while.

How long will it take for you to get a financial payback from replacing the front and rear ring and pinions? I'm guessing the cost will be around $1800 installed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Keep the truck. There is no real advantage to the 3.55 gears. There are arguments for both sides but nobody has been able to prove the 3.55 gives any significant mpg advantage over the 3.92 - at least not that Ive seen.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Keep the truck. There is no real advantage to the 3.55 gears. There are arguments for both sides but nobody has been able to prove the 3.55 gives any significant mpg advantage over the 3.92 - at least not that Ive seen.

And just to spill a little fuel on the fire of an argument, excuse me... discussion :D we haven't had in a while... I don't think anybody has been able to show that the 3.92's do much that the 3.55's wont do better without 1 shift of the transmission which has plenty of gears lol

that said if I could go back in time good chance I'd buy 3.92's because I rarely drive over 65 anyway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
And just to spill a little fuel on the fire of an argument, excuse me... discussion :D we haven't had in a while... I don't think anybody has been able to show that the 3.92's do much that the 3.55's wont do better without 1 shift of the transmission which has plenty of gears lol

that said if I could go back in time good chance I'd buy 3.92's because I rarely drive over 65 anyway.
I knew it was coming! Haha. I do agree that the 8 speed certainly helps with either ratio.

I like the 3.92’s because I run 35’s and the truck will hold 8th gear unladen on the highway. I’d be surprised if it would with 3.55’s

1 - 20 of 27 Posts