RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.. if I want to trade my truck in with a tune and exhaust delete, do I have to notify the dealership of the work done?

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I believd they will ask you during the actual paperwork transaction and you will have to sign off that the vehicle was:

-not in an accident over $500 ??
-not modified or emissions modified
-not used as a daily rental, police car or taxi.

I'd tell them right off the start that its been deleted.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There are auto wholesalers that will take it, flog it into the US market due to the better dollar exchange without doing anything to it but cleaning it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm from Canada and the egr recall gave been done on it due to the delete

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
As verbally stated by you when such questions are asked.. to the best of my knowledge. Which is/was to the best I could recall at that time.

Personally it would go against my conscious to trade in an AEM detuned problem child for some poor sap to try to sort out and or have to later replace a gone before it’s time motor on his dime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As verbally stated by you when such questions are asked.. to the best of my knowledge. Which is/was to the best I could recall at that time.

Personally it would go against my conscious to trade in an AEM detuned problem child for some poor sap to try to sort out and or have to later replace a gone before it’s time motor on his dime.
Completely agree with you Vern. That's why I ultimately decided to inform the dealership. Salesman stated if I were to get a 2020, he would stand by the original trade-in value he offered.

With the price tag of these new ED 1/2 tons rivalling 3/4 and 1 tons, I'm second guessing the ecodiesel all together. Cummins are a proven motor verses a redesigned ED. If I remember correctly, Vern you bought a cummins? I'm sure you've been asked so many times now, but what your if fuel economy are you getting from it?

I primarily drive the truck in northern BC, 130+ miles a day and tow a TT once every ~3 weeks in the summer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I thought about the 2500 for a few seconds because I also tow and the cost is close, but then I drive 90% of the time without towing and the 1500 Limited in my mind is more comfortable and loaded.

Reactions: Glimpse84

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Completely agree with you Vern. That's why I ultimately decided to inform the dealership. Salesman stated if I were to get a 2020, he would stand by the original trade-in value he offered.

With the price tag of these new ED 1/2 tons rivalling 3/4 and 1 tons, I'm second guessing the ecodiesel all together. Cummins are a proven motor verses a redesigned ED. If I remember correctly, Vern you bought a cummins? I'm sure you've been asked so many times now, but what your if fuel economy are you getting from it?

I primarily drive the truck in northern BC, 130+ miles a day and tow a TT once every ~3 weeks in the summer.

While I cant speak for Vern I can say he didn't buy a Cummins to my knowledge. All modern diesels have some issues including Cummins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies. Must have gotten him mixed up with another avid poster.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
My cummins just got 12.8 mpg (hand calculated last night) pulling my toy hauler for 440 miles on that tank of fuel. I slowed down on that run to about 68 mph. To go faster is to get into the 11's.

At the same speeds with the Ecodiesel I would get right around 12.5-13 mpg. Not much difference.

Now solo the new Cummins does do 21 mpg hand-calculated. The Ecodiesel did 26 mpg or slightly more.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
331 Posts
My cummins just got 12.8 mpg (hand calculated last night) pulling my toy hauler for 440 miles on that tank of fuel. I slowed down on that run to about 68 mph. To go faster is to get into the 11's.

At the same speeds with the Ecodiesel I would get right around 12.5-13 mpg. Not much difference.

Now solo the new Cummins does do 21 mpg hand-calculated. The Ecodiesel did 26 mpg or slightly more.
What do you get if you tow at 60 mph. My eco is getting 29 empty and 19 towing my 22ft car hauler with car. I found 60 to be best for mileage for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
71 Posts

I’m curious as to where you guys are finding new 2500 and 3500 Cummins trucks close to the same price as the new ecodiesels? I was considering a Cummins as well so had been shopping around quite a bit. For me to get a 2500 Cummins equipped like my ecodiesel would have cost at least 10k plus more. Even the 2500 tradesman with a Cummins cost 6-7k more than my Ecodiesel

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
No Cummins I plan to stay the course with the ED as long as she is not causing me grief or needing cost prohibitive repair. Knock on wood she has been running great with no issues. But when it comes time to add to the fleet while I am really impressed with the new ED.. to tow daily and with the option of towing heavier it will likely be a Cummins. Some say 18 or earlier for the better fuel pump. My buddys 19 just had something in his emissions system fail at 65k. Dealership wanted $1800. He said no and still had to pay $400 for their diagnosis. This was at an out of state dealership and he was not pleased. He is likely going to do the stealth delete work himself and doesn't yet know what the tunes are going to cost him. Tune will have to come from Canada. Tuners / tunes for a 19 & newer seem to be few and more problematic at least to date.

His mileage and power was like that of Captns truck prior to a recent dealership tune update. He misunderstood what they were asking him on the phone when they got permission to update the tune. Since then his mileage and power have sucked but were getting better then he had the emission system fail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm comparing a 2020 1500 Laramie to a 2019 1500 Laramie in Alberta Canada. I realize there is a one year difference but both trucks are new, are 5th gen, diesel equipped. 2019 3500 Laramie listed at $78,100. For the most part tho, I can compare 2020 1500 Laramies and Limited to their 2020 3500 brethren and although there is a price difference, it's pretty negligible considering how much more truck you gain with a 1 ton.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I’m curious as to where you guys are finding new 2500 and 3500 Cummins trucks close to the same price as the new ecodiesels? I was considering a Cummins as well so had been shopping around quite a bit. For me to get a 2500 Cummins equipped like my ecodiesel would have cost at least 10k plus more. Even the 2500 tradesman with a Cummins cost 6-7k more than my Ecodiesel
They did mention the 1500 is a Limited, so maybe comparing a 1500 Limited to some 2500 lower level models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts