RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2500 Laramie 2018 leftover with rebates of $5,500 and a FCA CDI discount brought the sticker from $57k to $45k. Then we started talking trade of my 2016 Big Horn with new tires and 56k miles, they offered me $20,500. I walked out the door.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Keep in mind that part of why the trade-in value of the Gen4 body are dropping significantly is partly due to the fact the Gen5 body style trucks are out and that's what everyone wants.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also keep in mind there was an emissions scandal and they weren't able to sell any 2017's for the large majority of that year, they then flooded the market with super cheap 2017's and 2018's and ruined resale value of the slightly older years, I was disgusted at my trucks value when it burned to the ground, was an insult. Part of the reason I won't buy Ram again, although they are really nice trucks, they don't hold their value

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Dealerships are going to make their profit on one end or the other, 45 K for a new 2018 2500 Cummins Laramie is an exceptional good price, well below the going normal pricing... According to the numbers provided 25k difference this is the only number that actually matters when trading a vehicle...Before getting upset with trade in values.. Do a little research in regards to future trade values on both vehicles 5 years down the road .. Good Luck with your decision.....

·
Registered
814 Posts
I really wanted to head west this year with a HD. What I have found is lots of these units were traded in post AEM. Auction numbers are pitiful. I only tried RAM dealers not GM, so bounty your comment is intriguing. But I want a gasser and they are only 6 speed. I had 2 dealers show me over 5 ecos on the lot just traded in.

But, its too late. Western migration begins next week. Fingers crossed our castrated rambo makes it. My thinking is hold off till spring. Let this glut move through the market, and try again. I do think we are heading into much slower economic conditions/ recession. That can only help....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Although I haven't stayed on top of trade-in prices, I have tried to keep current. $20,000 for a 2016 Big Horn doesn't sound out of line to me. I just double-checked KBB and it shows $20,000-$22,000. Am I out of touch? I'm kinda thinking that you're being like most of us and hoping that our own stuff is worth more than it actually is...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Although I haven't stayed on top of trade-in prices, I have tried to keep current. $20,000 for a 2016 Big Horn doesn't sound out of line to me. I just double-checked KBB and it shows $20,000-$22,000. Am I out of touch? I'm kinda thinking that you're being like most of us and hoping that our own stuff is worth more than it actually is...
Yeah KBB stayed my 2014 with 93k was worth $18k trade in and $20k private sale. I think that is ball park for mile for sure. Now a dealer offered me $12k for mine. That was by going to happen even though it would put me ahead by a few thousand. I’ll just keep it another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
HnG nailed it. The price on the 2500 is good. If you don't want to loose that $2k you have to sell it yourself. Have also heard of used dealership lots that will sell it for a fee of say a few hundred or a fee plus part of what they get above your pre determined figure. In your favor is the fact that you have a nice looking truck plus still under warranty and that they are still selling the 4th gen body. FWIW it won't be but a hot minute before you will start to see the 2020 ED on dealership lots.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Take it by a CarMax if you have one available they will give you a quote to buy it good for 7 days. I have done so with every vehicle I have traded in and it has given me some great bargaining power.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Take it by a CarMax if you have one available they will give you a quote to buy it good for 7 days. I have done so with every vehicle I have traded in and it has given me some great bargaining power.
Yep, A Carmax quote in the pocket does help when bargaining. The dealer will usually under quote Carmax by a few hundred, citing the tax advantage of trading with them instead of selling outright to Carmax.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Bottom line is what you pay, not what they offer. I like the numbers when looking at the MSRP of the vehicle. So they dropped lets' say $20,000 dollars from MSRP on what you could buy. Then the difference was say $25,000 you pay plus tax, title and paperwork. Would that not mean you were offered over $40,000 for your trade?

I recently got into something like you just walked from. Bottom line is figure out what you really can get for yours in an outright sale. Then see what you actually have to pay, buying no trade price plus the increased taxes and all the other fees. You had no price like to really know. Guessing you just walked on a super deal.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bottom line is what you pay, not what they offer. I like the numbers when looking at the MSRP of the vehicle. So they dropped lets' say $20,000 dollars from MSRP on what you could buy. Then the difference was say $25,000 you pay plus tax, title and paperwork. Would that not mean you were offered over $40,000 for your trade?

I recently got into something like you just walked from. Bottom line is figure out what you really can get for yours in an outright sale. Then see what you actually have to pay, buying no trade price plus the increased taxes and all the other fees. You had no price like to really know. Guessing you just walked on a super deal.
Yep, when trading I always ask "My car plus how much for yours?". Cap is right, look at the bottom line.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Something else to consider why trade value is dropping. For 2014-2017 Ram was the only option to choose from. Many buyers here came from other brands that would never have bought a ram other than for the diesel option. Im one of them. I have been very happy with mine, but I wouldn't have bought a hemi or a pentastar. Ford has now been on the market for almost 2 years with no bearing failure issues no overheating issues and a significantly higher tow and payload rating. GM just stumbled into the market. People got options now and I believe that hurts the resale more.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It appears the used market in general is in a slump.

Falling used-car prices last month were a major contributor to subdued inflation for the U.S. economy. Auto analysts warn this could be a lasting trend with major negative implications for new-vehicle demand.

The 1.6% monthly drop in used-car prices last month was the biggest decline in a year, a Labor Department report showed Thursday. The overall core consumer price index increased just 0.1% from the prior month, a smaller gain than expected. New vehicle pricing is up big time and the new gen rams are way up. Maybe low mileage lease return is the way to go?

The decline in used-car prices is explained in part by rising returns of vehicles that have reached the end of consumer leases, according to Charlie Chesbrough, Cox Automotive’s senior economist. Analysts have warned for years that a glut of off-lease vehicles was coming and would pose a risk to carmakers by making used autos look like better bargains than new ones.

·
Registered
95 Posts
... nice trucks, they don't hold their value
I think they're in line with the other manufacturers. They just have an artificially inflated MSRP.

Everyone buys their truck for at least $10k off sticker, then turns around and compares their resale value to the sticker instead of what they actually paid for it (what the truck was actually worth). IMO RAM doesn't depreciate any more than Ford or Chevy.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It appears the used market in general is in a slump.

Falling used-car prices last month were a major contributor to subdued inflation for the U.S. economy. Auto analysts warn this could be a lasting trend with major negative implications for new-vehicle demand.

The 1.6% monthly drop in used-car prices last month was the biggest decline in a year, a Labor Department report showed Thursday. The overall core consumer price index increased just 0.1% from the prior month, a smaller gain than expected. New vehicle pricing is up big time and the new gen rams are way up. Maybe low mileage lease return is the way to go?

The decline in used-car prices is explained in part by rising returns of vehicles that have reached the end of consumer leases, according to Charlie Chesbrough, Cox Automotive’s senior economist. Analysts have warned for years that a glut of off-lease vehicles was coming and would pose a risk to carmakers by making used autos look like better bargains than new ones.
Low interest rates crush used car prices. People buy cars based on monthly payment, not actual cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts