RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! I've been following this forums for months now and thought I would post after taking delivery of my new Laramie Limited Ecodiesel.

I traded a fully loaded Sport Edition FX4 2013 F150 Ecoboost that had over 30,000kms for my new Ram. The F150 was a good ride, but fuel economy was disapointing when towing my toys. However, this is not the main reason why I decided to make the switch: I'm a diesel guy at heart and the Ecodiesel was exactly what I wanted.

I ordered my Limited in March. I was told I would receive mt truck 6-8 weeks after. Well, It arrived at the dealer 14 weeks later. I did not mind the wait as I had configured the truck exactly as I wanted it and I was ready to be very patient after having read some stories on this forum about the long delays.

It arrived at the dealership last week. All was perfect with the truck at the time of delivery.

Now, this truck in the limited trim, black on black, is something else! It is much more luxurious than my Ford was and there is much more attention to details. Long story short, this is the nicest truck I have ever owned, period! I am delighted with my decision to make the switch. The turning radius on the Ram is so much better than the Ford, this is a big plus for me when manoeuvering in tight places with a long trailer.

The engine sounds great, pulls great and seems to be very economical compared to the Ecoboost. It is obviously less powerful, but the 8 speed transmission with the great torque curve of the engine makes up for the fewer ponies on top. My only negative point at this stage is the slow throttle response from a dead stop. I guess future reflash updates will adress that as it is something many owners have also noted and which is very easy to solve.

So far, I have logged 1000 kms and not one single issue. I am very happy and the truck in the Limited trim is really a looker both from the inside and from the outside.

Cheers to all of you who have really helped me make the move by sharing knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a chance to do some good mileage over the weekend. Highway cruising at 65mph with a light load in the box (around 800lbs) was a little over 30mpg. This is very good!

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice ride! I really like our limited as well. Glad you are liking yours so far and everything went smooth at delivery.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Greetings everyone! I've been following this forums for months now and thought I would post after taking delivery of my new Laramie Limited Ecodiesel.

I traded a fully loaded Sport Edition FX4 2013 F150 Ecoboost that had over 30,000kms for my new Ram. The F150 was a good ride, but fuel economy was disapointing when towing my toys. However, this is not the main reason why I decided to make the switch: I'm a diesel guy at heart and the Ecodiesel was exactly what I wanted.

I ordered my Limited in March. I was told I would receive mt truck 6-8 weeks after. Well, It arrived at the dealer 14 weeks later. I did not mind the wait as I had configured the truck exactly as I wanted it and I was ready to be very patient after having read some stories on this forum about the long delays.

It arrived at the dealership last week. All was perfect with the truck at the time of delivery.

Now, this truck in the limited trim, black on black, is something else! It is much more luxurious than my Ford was and there is much more attention to details. Long story short, this is the nicest truck I have ever owned, period! I am delighted with my decision to make the switch. The turning radius on the Ram is so much better than the Ford, this is a big plus for me when manoeuvering in tight places with a long trailer.

The engine sounds great, pulls great and seems to be very economical compared to the Ecoboost. It is obviously less powerful, but the 8 speed transmission with the great torque curve of the engine makes up for the fewer ponies on top. My only negative point at this stage is the slow throttle response from a dead stop. I guess future reflash updates will adress that as it is something many owners have also noted and which is very easy to solve.

So far, I have logged 1000 kms and not one single issue. I am very happy and the truck in the Limited trim is really a looker both from the inside and from the outside.

Cheers to all of you who have really helped me make the move by sharing knowledge and experience.
You know, I knew you seemed familiar! This is you, isn't it?!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too am considering the move from Eco Boost to Eco Diesel. when you say "obviously less powerful" Where did you notice this difference? Is it a great difference please expand you thoughts on this for me.
thanks Brian

·
Registered
701 Posts
Are you familiar with driving diesels? They have lower HP than avg gas engine, but much more torque. The good thing is all that torque is available at low rpm, so you get that kick in the pants once the turbo kicks in, at low rpm. And, because the German made 8 speed trans is so good, you get to ride that torque wave longer, up to target speed.

I just came from a 5 liter Mercedes 8 cyl engine in a car; it was a beautiful engine. The diesel is a very different type of drive, but I knew what to expect. I love the different do feel to it, especially in a truck. I don't miss the gas engine at all. It has all the performance I need.

Also, diesels will penalize you less when you drive aggressively or under high load. My friends ecoboost f150 is nice, but says it sucks gas with a lead foot. This probably causes you to lay off the gas most of the time. While the diesel is slower 0-60mph, you ca. Drive it hard, more often, and do well against gas engines not driven full go -- and get much better mileage.

I smile every time I drive mine, knowing that I'm getting much better MPG than my car, with much more weight.

Try a test drive. Hard to find one on the lot, so what I did was test drive a grand Cherokee diesel -- same engine. The engine and trans combo is unique, and exceeded my expectations.

I bet resale values are going to be great on these.

·
Registered
827 Posts
A better way to explain hp vs. torque is that what we perceive as power is really torque. Think of hp as just the torque you have at high rpm. Engines with lots of torque feel powerful at low rpm. Engines with not much torque don't "feel" powerful until you really rev them up high. So think of a diesel engine as a powerful engine that has a low red line. But engine rpms is what you have a transmission for, so there generally isn't a lot of use in a high redline.

The actual relationship between hp and torque is more complicated. Torque is force on a lever-arm, like a torque-wrench. Hp includes how far you move the lever arm. For example, It takes about 20ftlbs to move the camshaft on a 80's BMW 3 series, the only car I really know. But the energy required to spin that camshaft at 1rpm vs 1000rpm is hp. Torque does not account for how fast you are moving the resistance. So torque and hp measure two different things so not only are they hard to compare, but also, what we "perceive" as power adds another layer of confusion.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
or, like this:

torque is what gets you there
horsepower is what keeps you there

and generally speaking, up to around 55-60 mph, torque is what is moving you. after about that (please smart people, i know i'm using very general terms), anyway after about 55-60mph, horsepower is now more of a factor.

or, if you prefer, just go with Ranger's answer if you like actual science/fact answers. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
And that's why the ecoboost feels so much stronger. Stock to stock they have the same tq buy the f150 has 125 more hp! And once you tune it, it is a blast to drive. Tows good because it makes the tq down low just like a diesel. It is a thirsty little engine when you tow or hot rid it for sure. I avg 15.5 on my ecoboost. Now I'm averaging 23.5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah I don't get great mpg with Eco boost cause I run it hard and tow hard.....so Eco diesel should help me in mpg anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too am considering the move from Eco Boost to Eco Diesel. when you say "obviously less powerful" Where did you notice this difference? Is it a great difference please expand you thoughts on this for me.
thanks Brian
The additional horsepower of the Ecoboost really shows only when the engine is pushed hard. In normal use, the practical torque of the diesel engine makes the truck just as practical as the F150 ecoboost for what it is: a truck.

Now, about torque and HP..... everyone need to understand that torque can be measured but HP is never measured. Horsepower is actually a calculated value from torque and rpm, where:

HP = (Torque X RPM) / 5252

As you can see from the formula above, horspower takes into account a time element derived from RPM which provides an actual frequency per time unit. To make a long story short, try to imagine yourself lifting a weight with your arm, say 120lbs. Torque is being able to lift that weight. Horsepower would be calculated as how many times per minute you would be able to lift that weight. How do I know this.... I make a living tuning and designing turbo systems for various engines.... pathetic, I know....loll....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok, so I own the ecoboost and have ordered the ecodiesel. My ford ecoboost is damn quick and if you want to pass something it will do it in the blink of an eye. I have towed a 3 horse, horse trailer with about 6k of trailer and animals with the ford and it did just fine as long as my foot was firmly planted at about half throttle. Managed about 14 mpg but never went over 55mph and would slow to about 40 on the hills. I love the zip of my ford but find myself driving it like a granny to get the mpg up to 20 ( 2'' lift with oversize load range E tires) on the highway doing 65 and about 18 mpg just in the rural driving trips that I do.
Now, on my test drive of the ecodiesel (ya actually found one in la grande Oregon that was for sale) and they let me take it for a uhummm " test drive"..... I put the truck thru its paces, up to 105 mph up a long steep grade, full throttle from most of the stops and did about 85 down the highway and then I would slow down and accelerate as if to check its passing prowess.. I was impressed to say the least. While your not gunna lay 100' of black rubber on the ground from a stop with the diesel you will have plenty of zip to let you pass and to get out of someone's way should you need to. So from my past exp with my ecoboost I know for that same driving style (foot to the floor) that I did to the diesel on the test drive, on the same route I know my ford would have gotten maybe 11mpg and that's being generous. To my surprise the lil diesel averaged 20.9 for the 28 mile test drive.... I actually didn't think I was going to like the lil Diesel but I ordered one 2 days later..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for this report...I drive much the same ...pull smaller trailer. My eco boost does fine but my problems with it have been 3 failed coil packs in 60000 miles. That makes for long day and mine was an early one with the 23 gallon fuel tank. Trailer into the wind = 10 mpg and lots of fuel stops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts