RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick rundown, I bought my '17 1500 ED Big Horn in Jan 2018. I'll admit that coming from my '14 5.7 1500, the ED was a massive disappointment in the performance dept...but the fuel milage was...well, ok. I never managed over 21 mpg in the thing, it didn't matter how I drove or at what speed or for how far. I typically got close to 21 in the summer, 19 in the winter. When I first got mine, I complained to '14-16 owners about the lackluster MPG and the doggy performance (especially the "death-lag" on occasion). Most had no idea what I was talking about......right up until they got their "EPA " approved ECM flash a year ago. That's when I noted all kinds of people complaining about it. Unfortunately, I didn't qualify for the $3K back or else I would have shed the truck a year ago. I got the best of both worlds, the trash ECM programming and the lack of $3K to apologize for it, superb.

April of 2020, at just over 26K miles, my engine blew. The dealership was great to deal with and having had all my maint done by them, FCA replaced the engine with no issue. It took about 7 weeks to get my truck back, they gave me a loaner for the duration.

The replacement engine was a-ok just up until about 2 months ago. I noted the same hard ticking when downshifting that my other engine had displayed about 6-8 months before it blew. The replacement engine only had about 8K miles on it. Two weeks ago, driving along at about 15 mph (stuck behind some far equip), the truck was making all kinds of noise and I decided enough was enough.

I traded it in on a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I decided it was time for a change..

I'll say that I infinitely regret getting that truck. While I loved the 1500 with the Big Horn package, that 3.0L V6 engine was hands down the most miserable, poor performing, often dangerous pile of junk I've ever had the misfortune of using. FCA should be ashamed that they released such a pile of junk on the public. I am elated that I do not have to use the words "block heater", "Grille cover", "DEF", or "this thing sounds like a cement mixer full of ball bearings" ever again...

I feel really sorry for the person who buys that thing...may god have mercy on them because the horrible engine definitely will not.

·
Administrator
9,092 Posts
Quick rundown, I bought my '17 1500 ED Big Horn in Jan 2018. I'll admit that coming from my '14 5.7 1500, the ED was a massive disappointment in the performance dept...but the fuel milage was...well, ok. I never managed over 21 mpg in the thing, it didn't matter how I drove or at what speed or for how far. I typically got close to 21 in the summer, 19 in the winter. When I first got mine, I complained to '14-16 owners about the lackluster MPG and the doggy performance (especially the "death-lag" on occasion). Most had no idea what I was talking about......right up until they got their "EPA " approved ECM flash a year ago. That's when I noted all kinds of people complaining about it. Unfortunately, I didn't qualify for the $3K back or else I would have shed the truck a year ago. I got the best of both worlds, the trash ECM programming and the lack of $3K to apologize for it, superb.

April of 2020, at just over 26K miles, my engine blew. The dealership was great to deal with and having had all my maint done by them, FCA replaced the engine with no issue. It took about 7 weeks to get my truck back, they gave me a loaner for the duration.

The replacement engine was a-ok just up until about 2 months ago. I noted the same hard ticking when downshifting that my other engine had displayed about 6-8 months before it blew. The replacement engine only had about 8K miles on it. Two weeks ago, driving along at about 15 mph (stuck behind some far equip), the truck was making all kinds of noise and I decided enough was enough.

I traded it in on a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I decided it was time for a change..

I'll say that I infinitely regret getting that truck. While I loved the 1500 with the Big Horn package, that 3.0L V6 engine was hands down the most miserable, poor performing, often dangerous pile of junk I've ever had the misfortune of using. FCA should be ashamed that they released such a pile of junk on the public. I am elated that I do not have to use the words "block heater", "Grille cover", "DEF", or "this thing sounds like a cement mixer full of ball bearings" ever again...

I feel really sorry for the person who buys that thing...may god have mercy on them because the horrible engine definitely will not.
So are you saying the diesel isn't the right fit for you? :)

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Next guy likely puts in a good aftermarket tune. Loves the mileage, ease of 1/2 ton appropriate towing, problem free operation and runs it another 300,000 miles. Lol life seems to have that sense of humor Smoke. Best of luck with your next vehicle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sorry to hear of the experiences you had with your EcoD - no doubt I'd feel the same way if I'd had to deal with 1.5 blown engines...

The thing about the EcoD engine is the inconsistency in performance and driving enjoyment. If the engine was a piece of crap for everybody, FCA would've dumped it or gotten a new engine from Cummins or something. But when some engines blow up, catch fire and generally perform like a slug, while others (like mine) deliver great fuel economy, excellent power and torque and purr like a kitten it's enough to destroy a company's reputation. I just don't understand the wide variation in ownership experiences with the EcoD other than poor quality control at VM Motori.

At at base level it seems the EcoD is a generally good - if not excellent - small displacement diesel engine. I've seen the internals of the engine and have questions about the rod bearing design and composition but even with that I believe the engine can/does perform as it's supposed to. But as long as there are experiences like the OP's, this engine in the 1500 platform will have a dark cloud over it for some people.

Again, I feel badly for the OP for what he's been through. That's not what you expect when you plunk down somewhere around 50 G's for a truck.

Bob

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yup, gotta feel sorry for anyone who has that sort of trouble, and the OP's experience mirror my experiences with my first TWO new trucks in '92 and '94, but ....... with approx 160,000 ED's out there and 10% of that population possibly members on this board and ... not everyone on the board reporting such problems, I sure wouldn't describe it as badly as the OP did.

I am five years into mine as of Feb 20'th, factory stock and all service (bar none except tires) done at the dealer, and I love mine!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I just traded in my wife's S4. Loved the car. It was a racecar, handled amazing, Quattro 4 wheel drive, all the amenities.
To justify trading it in:
-it was too fast
-it needed premium fuel
-wife loved it
-I think it sounded like the supercharger was going south
-tires were expensive
-out of warranty
-insurance was expensive.
- 8 years old and in pristine condition

So.....out it went......plus another $25k on top of it.....lol

But we justify our actions in many different ways.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
167 Posts
Like any modern diesel tuning seems to be the most crucial part of the longevity. Why manufacturers aren't providing quality tunes from factory is beyond me. Combine a quality tune with deleting the emissions (depending where you live) and you may have a small diesel that will last many many years.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
You sure had bad luck. Don’t bother to play the lottery.

While your story is, unfortunately, NOT unusual ... it is NOT typical. Sure can understand your position.

Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Like any modern diesel tuning seems to be the most crucial part of the longevity.
I find statements like this amazing. Is tuning helpful? ... possibly, maybe probably. Crucial?...not likely. Of the 160,000+ Ecodiesels out there, probably less than 10% of them are tuned....just a guess, but most people who own EcoD's are just driving their trucks, not playing with them like the some of the members on this forum do. Maybe if GDE told us how many tunes they've sold we could get an idea, but I'd say that a big majority of the trucks out there are stock and are surviving just fine and just like any other vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Do the people who complain of the lag and them being slow not take them for test drives?

I cant fathom only getting 19-21 mpg out of it, i get almost 30% better than that. I can only imagine that how you drive/use it has something to do with your issues. Some people could F up a mothers love, my father in law for example has not owned a vehicle past 73,000 miles since I have known him in the last 12 years, most of them including a hemi, ecoboost and 2 cummins had multiple issues. I guess he could have gotten a lemon for his last 4 trucks, but I say he is the common denominator and issue.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I find statements like this amazing. Is tuning helpful? ... possibly, maybe probably. Crucial?...not likely. Of the 160,000+ Ecodiesels out there, probably less than 10% of them are tuned....just a guess, but most people who own EcoD's are just driving their trucks, not playing with them like the some of the members on this forum do. Maybe if GDE told us how many tunes they've sold we could get an idea, but I'd say that a big majority of the trucks out there are stock and are surviving just fine and just like any other vehicle on the road.
As far as new ones I believe that, because most people are warry of voiding their warranty. Once the warranty is up and aftermarket tuning is cheaper and better I believe it becomes the norm rather than the exception in locations where it is possible.

·
Registered
903 Posts
. Once the warranty is up and aftermarket tuning is cheaper and better I believe it becomes the norm rather than the exception in locations where it is possible.
Do you think that's a "majority of the EcoD owners" approach? I think it's a very small segment, very much a minority of all the EcodD owners. I think it's generational as much as anything. I think most EcoD owners drive their diesels just like they'd drive any other truck they own. They like the mileage but when they tire of the truck or it's out of warranty it goes.
I'd love to know how many tunes GDE has sold.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Do you think that's a "majority of the EcoD owners" approach? I think it's a very small segment, very much a minority of all the EcodD owners. I think it's generational as much as anything. I think most EcoD owners drive their diesels just like they'd drive any other truck they own. They like the mileage but when they tire of the truck or it's out of warranty it goes.
I'd love to know how many tunes GDE has sold.
As far as im concerned the second owner who buys it used is still and owner, and yes i believe they tune them if they live in an area that they can get buy with it. Same reason why all the 5-6 year old duramaxes and fords i see around no longer have the goofy stock tail pipes.

If you keep yours long term the likelihood of having an issue with the egr, DPF, or SCR is not small. If you could knock $2000+ dollars off your repair bill by going to an aftermarket tune would you? I know i would, especially when the aftermarket tune will make it less problematic in the future and likely more responsive and fuel efficient.

·
Registered
903 Posts
As far as im concerned the second owner who buys it used is still and owner, and yes i believe they tune them if they live in an area that they can get buy with it. Same reason why all the 5-6 year old duramaxes and fords i see around no longer have the goofy stock tail pipes.

If you keep yours long term the likelihood of having an issue with the egr, DPF, or SCR is not small. If you could knock $2000+ dollars off your repair bill by going to an aftermarket tune would you? I know i would, especially when the aftermarket tune will make it less problematic in the future and likely more responsive and fuel efficient.
I understand your thinking, and I can't find a lot of fault with it.

I bought mine for a specific reason ... I had aged parents living eight hours away by road, so there were a LOT of miles put on it on the highway and zero miles locally because I always have two trucks in the lane (I like having a backup) ... my other one is gas and gets used for groceries and other local crap. My 2016 EcoD has almost 90K KM and my 2017 Sierra has 30K Km .... lol.
However .... Covid interrupted a lot of travel and both my parents died in the last two years, so ... my EcoD sits in the lane, with a sparkling clean tailpipe from having done nothing but highway .....
Once the 84/160km warranty is up .... it's gone. Someone is going to buy a winner of a stock truck in a year or two.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,071 Posts
My truck is a 2017. When I bought it in Idaho, I had to hit the hwy for about 3,000 miles right off the bat. I was getting over 28 mpg brand new. The tune upped that to over 31 mpg.

I get that kind of mileage in the winter time though. Nobody gets good mileage when half the time it's' sitting still warming up. I hear of the OP's experience, poor year around mileage. I still have the OEM tune, it's an effing dog, on that I agree.

Good luck on the new rig.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think a lot of people saw "diesel" and assumed it would run like a Cummins/Duramax/Powerstroke.

I saw it as an alternative to the gas v6; Light towing, long daily highway commutes, and used for work around the house.

A lot of people who have problems with these trucks tried to use them as cheap alternatives to 3/4 ton diesels and ... surprise... were disappointed.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I think a lot of people saw "diesel" and assumed it would run like a Cummins/Duramax/Powerstroke.

I saw it as an alternative to the gas v6; Light towing, long daily highway commutes, and used for work around the house.

A lot of people who have problems with these trucks tried to use them as cheap alternatives to 3/4 ton diesels and ... surprise... were disappointed.
It does. It runs just like a cummins/powerstroke or the gm equivalent back in the day that put out similar power numbers. No it isnt going to keep up with the fire breathing dragons that they build for the HD's now, but its using the same turbocharged technology with 1/2 the displacement so why would you think it would?

Ive driven a 1996 5.9 cummins a bit and in my opinion the ecodiesel when all is considered compares favorably to it.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
It does. It runs just like a cummins/powerstroke or the gm equivalent back in the day that put out similar power numbers. No it isnt going to keep up with the fire breathing dragons that they build for the HD's now, but its using the same turbocharged technology with 1/2 the displacement so why would you think it would?

Ive driven a 1996 5.9 cummins a bit and in my opinion the ecodiesel when all is considered compares favorably to it.
The EcoDiesel engine isn’t even In the same universe as a Cummins 5.9...

A Cummins 5.9 is a ENGINEERED AND WAS DESIGNED AS A COMMERCIAL DUTY ENGINE ....

This engine was installed in Dump Trucks/ Tow Trucks/ School buses Ect ....

So a EcoDiesel Engine is similar to a 5.9 Cummins? Maybe comparing HP/Torque numbers .. These numbers are confusing/misunderstood if you have no real world knowledge ...Early days on our forum folks tried using it as a HD truck ... It didn’t work out to good...

I’ve pulled 30 k goosenecks many of times with 5.9 Cummins, I wouldn’t try to even pull 10k with a EcoDiesel engine Regardless of Trucks ..

It’s a designed passenger car engine lite duty engine... That achieves great mpgs..
This is what it’s designed for....

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
The EcoDiesel engine isn’t even In the same universe as a Cummins 5.9...

A Cummins 5.9 is a ENGINEERED AND WAS DESIGNED AS A COMMERCIAL DUTY ENGINE ....

This engine was installed in Dump Trucks/ Tow Trucks/ School buses Ect ....

So a EcoDiesel Engine is similar to a 5.9 Cummins? Maybe comparing HP/Torque numbers .. These numbers are confusing/misunderstood if you have no real world knowledge ...Early days on our forum folks tried using it as a HD truck ... It didn’t work out to good...

I’ve pulled 30 k goosenecks many of times with 5.9 Cummins, I wouldn’t try to even pull 10k with a EcoDiesel engine Regardless of Trucks ..

It’s a designed passenger car engine lite duty engine... That achieves great mpgs..
This is what it’s designed for....
Ill stick by my take on it. Im not comparing it to a 400 hp 1000 foot pound of torque tuned 5.9, im not comparing it to a 5.9 installed in an industrial application etc. Im comparing it to the 5.9 installed in a 3/4 ton truck with a 5 speed and 3.55 gears. For a user that will tow within the ratings of the trucks i think the ecodiesel compares favorably. Your not going to get 30+ mpg out of the cummins.

I know there is a lot of technology difference that is fine, im just comparing two products that were sold. Vern got 370K miles doing what he does on the first engine, he is close to or past it on the second. I think most people would be pleased with similar mileage out of the 5.9. Lord knows there are plenty of people who junked a 5.9 in fewer miles than that also.

I say when all is considered. Empty use, economy, noise, cofort etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a link to my truck:

Have a look at pic #2...right there, average mpg: 19.8...that's my winter #'s.

For years, I've got the "Well...mine gets 38.957 mpg...you must be doing something wrong!!!" I ran stock fuel on a stock tune, had reg maint, replaced the fuel filter on time...drove the thing on the highway to/from work each day. It's not possible to have a lead foot in the thing, there's no reward for it. I ran a block heater, grille cover in the winter. What 'cha see is what 'cha get, boys, the thing never got a lick above 21mpg, ever. Replacing the engine didn't even make a difference. Perhaps it was the rear gearing? Who knows. Never used the truck for short trips, never used the thing for towing, drove it to/from places and used it for, well, a truck 10 or so times a year. 19-21mpg...

As for an aftermarket tune, would tuning the thing and removing all the EGR equip possibly extend the life of it? Who knows. Would it void the warranty? You bet. I would have loved to take the EGR and the DEF system off and replace the entire exhaust with a straight pipe...but again, not voiding the warranty on something I dropped $50K for.

I bought the thing to be a reliable vehicle that got better MPG than a 5.7L. I was willing to live with everything that comes with a diesel and went into the purchase with my eyes wide open...but my individual experience with the thing was that it got nowhere near posted MPG and the icing on the cake was having an engine dump-guts at under 30K of highway driving. I was never happy with the MPG, but at least it was better than the 12-13mpg my '14 got.

In the end, the engine popping out of nowhere was the nail in the coffin...I never trusted the thing a single day after that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts