RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
Here's a link to my truck:

Have a look at pic #2...right there, average mpg: 19.8...that's my winter #'s.

For years, I've got the "Well...mine gets 38.957 mpg...you must be doing something wrong!!!" I ran stock fuel on a stock tune, had reg maint, replaced the fuel filter on time...drove the thing on the highway to/from work each day. It's not possible to have a lead foot in the thing, there's no reward for it. I ran a block heater, grille cover in the winter. What 'cha see is what 'cha get, boys, the thing never got a lick above 21mpg, ever. Replacing the engine didn't even make a difference. Perhaps it was the rear gearing? Who knows. Never used the truck for short trips, never used the thing for towing, drove it to/from places and used it for, well, a truck 10 or so times a year. 19-21mpg...

As for an aftermarket tune, would tuning the thing and removing all the EGR equip possibly extend the life of it? Who knows. Would it void the warranty? You bet. I would have loved to take the EGR and the DEF system off and replace the entire exhaust with a straight pipe...but again, not voiding the warranty on something I dropped $50K for.

I bought the thing to be a reliable vehicle that got better MPG than a 5.7L. I was willing to live with everything that comes with a diesel and went into the purchase with my eyes wide open...but my individual experience with the thing was that it got nowhere near posted MPG and the icing on the cake was having an engine dump-guts at under 30K of highway driving. I was never happy with the MPG, but at least it was better than the 12-13mpg my '14 got.

In the end, the engine popping out of nowhere was the nail in the coffin...I never trusted the thing a single day after that.
You sure had bad luck with both engines. I'm puzzled by the average mpg. Did you ever hand calculate? Could the EVIC average be incorrect?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have gotten better mileage towing a couple thousand pounds on a 16 foot flatbed than you get empty in mine.

My wife got a hand me down car from her father. He said it would get 20 mpg. After we got married I drove the car on a hwy trip to take a class for work. I got 32 mpg on the hwy. He didn't believe me and asked how I did it. I told him I drove 65 mph. He said in a huff oh well you cant do that all the time. It was true, he got 20 mpg out of it and I got 30. He red lined the MF'er at every stop... I didn't.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You sure had bad luck with both engines. I'm puzzled by the average mpg. Did you ever hand calculate? Could the EVIC average be incorrect?
No, it was correct. For some time I kept record of everything and the truck's info was spot on.

I have gotten better mileage towing a couple thousand pounds on a 16 foot flatbed than you get empty in mine.

My wife got a hand me down car from her father. He said it would get 20 mpg. After we got married I drove the car on a hwy trip to take a class for work. I got 32 mpg on the hwy. He didn't believe me and asked how I did it. I told him I drove 65 mph. He said in a huff oh well you cant do that all the time. It was true, he got 20 mpg out of it and I got 30. He red lined the MF'er at every stop... I didn't.
About the only way I could get my truck to ride along on the highway in the high 20mpg range was to lock it on 55 mph exactly, anything faster than that and the mph would drop.. Here in Ill, we're 70 limit so most go at least 75. Locked on 75, the thing would settle around 22 or so cruising down the road. I tried all kinds of things to get it to touch 30 mpg cruising at distance, but was never successful.

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
No, it was correct. For some time I kept record of everything and the truck's info was spot on.

About the only way I could get my truck to ride along on the highway in the high 20mpg range was to lock it on 55 mph exactly, anything faster than that and the mph would drop.. Here in Ill, we're 70 limit so most go at least 75. Locked on 75, the thing would settle around 22 or so cruising down the road. I tried all kinds of things to get it to touch 30 mpg cruising at distance, but was never successful.
Cruising at 75 mph typically won't get close to 30 mpg (maybe downhill). With the pre EPA GDE tune I would get about 26 mpg cruising long distance at 75-80 mph.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

We have 75 mph speed limits on most of our road, 85 on some. You absolutely do not have to drive the speed limit and if you want to knock down 30 mpg or close to it you cant.

I have no first hand experience with your truck, but I whole heartedly believe that the majority of your fuel mileage issues is from your driving habits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We have 75 mph speed limits on most of our road, 85 on some. You absolutely do not have to drive the speed limit and if you want to knock down 30 mpg or close to it you cant.

I have no first hand experience with your truck, but I whole heartedly believe that the majority of your fuel mileage issues is from your driving habits.
Sure. I only obsessed about it for 2+ years attempting everything I could to hit claimed MPG with my truck...but yeah, must just be me. I guess searching for that exact same problem on Google and getting 126,000 results...must be all of them, too. That ED was the only vehicle I was never able to achieve rated MPGs while owning...I'm already seeing advertised MPG from the new Cherokee...but yeah, that darned lead foot.

Either way, it's going to be someone else's problem now. Perhaps they can somehow magically scrape 30-50% better fuel economy out of it.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hey maybe so. Did you expect us all to say hey man you were right our trucks are all big steaming piles of carp its a good thing you were so smart to ditch yours unfortunately we are all just so damn stupid cant see the forest for the trees that we will keep ours :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy your new ride lol

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sure. I only obsessed about it for 2+ years attempting everything I could to hit claimed MPG with my truck...but yeah, must just be me. I guess searching for that exact same problem on Google and getting 126,000 results...must be all of them, too. That ED was the only vehicle I was never able to achieve rated MPGs while owning...I'm already seeing advertised MPG from the new Cherokee...but yeah, that darned lead foot.

Either way, it's going to be someone else's problem now. Perhaps they can somehow magically scrape 30-50% better fuel economy out of it.
Firstly everyone's experience can be different, I can certainly understand disappointment when it comes to a purchase falling short of our expectations. Believe me I have such disdain for GM(Chevrolet) for leaving me in a bind with my hard earned money.

I also previously came from a Hemi and the Truck payment that was refueling was too much and I don't drive hard but stop and go traffic kills MPG's for sure. It was at that time I decided to roll the dice on an ED I pretty much averaged 26 opposed to 14 on the Hemi, and dropped to about 24 with the software updates, mine is still bone stock around 75k on it.

Did you ever check the drive train or wheel bearings it's possible you may have been dragging her a bit? Most folks don't realize how much of PIA 4x4 drivetrains can be those 3.92 rear ends aren't as efficient as the 3.55.

Is there a reason why you didn't go back to a truck those Jeeps are nice I do wish you many trouble free miles on her.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
169 Posts
The whole waiting to modify/tune a diesel until after warranty is done sometimes makes no sense to me. Yes there's some good dealers and some bad ones but the chances of a dealer trying to find a loophole in covering an emissions problem these days is getting higher. I hear horror stories of dealers not covering DPF and EGR failures regularly with the owner stuck paying a big repair bill on a brand new truck. The only saving grace is they have definitely made big improvements on the emissions components these last few years. I'm still hesitant to purchase a brand new truck at this point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Next guy likely puts in a good aftermarket tune. Loves the mileage, ease of 1/2 ton appropriate towing, problem free operation and runs it another 300,000 miles. Lol life seems to have that sense of humor Smoke. Best of luck with your next vehicle.
How many miles do you have on your new engine now

·
Registered
10 Posts
You sure had bad luck. Don’t bother to play the lottery.

While your story is, unfortunately, NOT unusual ... it is NOT typical. Sure can understand your position.

Enjoy the new ride.
His story is actually very usual. It sounds like mine and also have a coworker with the same story.

·
Registered
908 Posts
His story is actually very usual.
No, it isn't. If you do even a little bit of research you'll see that the vast majority of EcoD owners just drive their trucks and never report any trouble. The % figures flying around out there about engine failure rates are 7% +-, depending on where you look, so ..... that's a long way from "usual".

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, it isn't. If you do even a little bit of research you'll see that the vast majority of EcoD owners just drive their trucks and never report any trouble. The % figures flying around out there about engine failure rates are 7% +-, depending on where you look, so ..... that's a long way from "usual".
You have a source or did your friend of a friend's uncle tell you that?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
His story is actually very usual. It sounds like mine and also have a coworker with the same story.
And you want to knock someone else with 'a friend of a friend' lol.

Did you and your friend have 2 engine failures in the same truck?

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
169 Posts
Any newer vehicle is a rip off to some degree, especially from a warranty aspect. The small word/thin line terms and condiditions so the manufacturer/dealer can get out of covering certain things. Regardless, I still love my EcoD and was tickled pink to get rid of my hemi. Thing couldn't tow worth a damn.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So sad that you guys don't want to admit that you got ripped off and still standing up for such a garbage truck. It's ok man. I got ripped off too.
You're still spouting this crap?

My truck has been fine. I have had a couple of very minor issues .... a heater in a DEF line and a loose mirror mount, both repaired at zero cost, quickly, professionally and pleasantly.

As far as updates ... it's a complex, computer controlled piece of equipment .... of course I'm taking it in to get all the updates done. I do updates on my computers here every day at the end of each day .... no problem and no problem with updating the truck either when FCA notifies me. I want the latest dealer issued software running in mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,420 Posts
sorabol, 10 posts? So sad to hear you feel you got ripped off. Don’t include me in that catagory. Turned 750,000 miles today on my 14 Ram Ecodiesel. 380,000 miles on this motor. My only issue with it was a reluctor wheel which FCA has recognized with a possible recall coming. To be fair it doesn’t have the government detune and the EGR cooler is deleted. (This part caused the first motor to push a head gasket due to low coolant). Fellow transporter recently turned 425,000 on his ED.

Some may have part flaws or assembly mistakes and certainly they like all early emissions era diesels have emissions issues. But they are not flawed by design or doomed. On top of that FCA has stood behind its 100,000 mile warranty. So I don’t see FCA as ripping us off.

Does our trucks or their use represent the average. Certainly not but they do show the design isn’t flawed and that they are not designed to fail early. (a real pet peeve of mine think modern non commercial grade toasters. Designed to burn out (early) after so many hours of use) Not that the ED is designed to last forever or even be economically rebuildable. But it’s not designed to fail, for a short life, or to be a rip off. Just my opinion. Certainly you are entitled to your own.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts