RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody take their truck off road? I love tra riding the woods and have gone a few times. I got a service electro throttle message once and another ride truck hung up in 4x4. I went a year with no off road and had no issues. Till last week I went total 14 miles on a rough clay road but went slow. Now I get the service electronic trailer brake or abs system message. It only does it after truck sits all night and if I shut truck off and restart it goes away. Anyway besides that I am wondering if the easy driving light engine load is bad for the ED. I am tuned stage one. I can monitor dpf filter while riding. Anyway drive in town a lot or spend a lot of time idling?

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
......................... Now I get the service electronic trailer brake or abs system message. It only does it after truck sits all night and if I shut truck off and restart it goes away. ..............................
Those are among the messages I got when I had "stretched pins" in a connector on the firewall in my '19. That would be something to check if you start getting more different messages and lots of them.

· Registered
1,688 Posts
I'd get her on jack stands or a lift and unplug every connector, blow out , dielectric grease, then secure with ty-wraps. If you really enjoy off roading, think about getting an ATV, UTV or an old Jeep. Will save beating up your Ram. I hate getting paint scratches from scraping on trees, etc. Also your Ram is not going to like going thru deep water.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always get 2 0r 3 messages. I will take a look at that connection. I only get messages on initial start up after sitting all night. I am thinking it might not be an easy thing to find when truck runs the rest of the day. I remember hearing about a wire bundle under the truck below drivers seat area too that can cause issues

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Honda foreman 4x4 at but the Ocala Forest where I ride is very limited for at trails. Registered vehicles can access probably over 2k miles of trails. I use to have a lifted Ford Ranger I used. There are trails that are wide enough not to scratch the truck. I just have heard that light engine load or idling wasn't great for the ecodiesel. If that is not really an issue I might try going with it more. I definitely don't cross water. I would like to get an older Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for the woods. If anyone has one that is interested in trading for a Bass
Tracker PRO 190 message me

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Anybody take their truck off road? I love tra riding the woods and have gone a few times.
I live in an area with thousands of miles of National Forest and BLM trails/roads. Even at slow speeds, the truck will complete a regen without any problems. The key is to keep the truck moving and the RPMs at 1,500 or higher, which is surprisingly easy to do at low speeds. We've had the truck in extremely remote locations. Outside of the known recall issues, our 2015 EcoDiesel has been very reliable in the backcountry. The low-end torque is much appreciated on the steeper sections. I sometimes wished I had a separate set of wheels with a more aggressive tread pattern for those off-road occasions, otherwise, the Michelin Defender LTX does okay in 4WD.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Issue came back again few days ago. They started getting the service airbag system. I watched a YouTube video and checked the connection under drivers seat. It seemed tight. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. So far no messages for 2 days. I tried using my Torque app and PG3 and both showed no codes. I will see if dealer sees any on my next oil change in 2 weeks

· Registered
4,320 Posts
I unplugged it and plugged it back in. So far no messages for 2 days.
The next time you're under the truck, put some dielectric grease on the connector. Sometimes moisture at the connection can cause issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts