RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new member. I bough my new 3rd gen ecodiesel last thursday and want to eventually install a trailer brake. I was having a hard time finding one with it pre installed in my price range. (Basically just the limiteds have it at the dealership) I was trying to get the dealer to install it but they said it was backordered until november so they would place an order, but if it didnt come in for 30 days they would cut me a check for the cost of one. Has anyone installed the mopar trailer brake after the fact?

It's my understanding that everything is installed except for the actual controller/module and the only work involved is taking the dash apart and putting the controller on the dashboard. Is that actually the case? (If so that's kinda crappy that every 1500 is basically equipped with it and they just dont put the controller on)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go to Ebay and search on "RAM OEM Brake Controller" and I think you will find a lot. Make sure you get one for your model year. After installation I think you will need to have a dealership "enable" it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you do a "brake controller" search there are 91 entries listed, many about installing one.

·
Super Moderator
4,327 Posts
Looks like the part number for the new body style (DT) Ram truck ITBM is: 82215278AE
There are several places listing that they have them for sale but I would call/email to verify.
There is the slider mounted through the dash and a module under the dash that needs to be installed. Once it's installed you'll need to have the dealer to enable it so it works properly with the truck's ABS system and will display on the dash/radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the general consensus I read was to take it to the dealership. This is the first vehicle I've owned built this millennium so I guess I'll have to get used to paying a dealership.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Dealer needed to program the truck to recognize the trailer brake controller, so if you can’t track down a factory fitted unit, your dealer is the only one who can help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts