RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new member. I bough my new 3rd gen ecodiesel last thursday and want to eventually install a trailer brake. I was having a hard time finding one with it pre installed in my price range. (Basically just the limiteds have it at the dealership) I was trying to get the dealer to install it but they said it was backordered until november so they would place an order, but if it didnt come in for 30 days they would cut me a check for the cost of one. Has anyone installed the mopar trailer brake after the fact?

It's my understanding that everything is installed except for the actual controller/module and the only work involved is taking the dash apart and putting the controller on the dashboard. Is that actually the case? (If so that's kinda crappy that every 1500 is basically equipped with it and they just dont put the controller on)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go to Ebay and search on "RAM OEM Brake Controller" and I think you will find a lot. Make sure you get one for your model year. After installation I think you will need to have a dealership "enable" it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you do a "brake controller" search there are 91 entries listed, many about installing one.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,764 Posts
Looks like the part number for the new body style (DT) Ram truck ITBM is: 82215278AE
There are several places listing that they have them for sale but I would call/email to verify.
There is the slider mounted through the dash and a module under the dash that needs to be installed. Once it's installed you'll need to have the dealer to enable it so it works properly with the truck's ABS system and will display on the dash/radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the general consensus I read was to take it to the dealership. This is the first vehicle I've owned built this millennium so I guess I'll have to get used to paying a dealership.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Dealer needed to program the truck to recognize the trailer brake controller, so if you can’t track down a factory fitted unit, your dealer is the only one who can help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can install the trailer break components yourself. You can order the kit 82215278AE but it is backordered and not available until Oct 2020

You can also obtain the parts today that make up the kit. Here are the parts that make up the kit for a 2020 Ram 1500.

Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
68309259ACInstrument Panel Switch$30.441$30.44
68346572ABModule Bracket$1.401$1.40
68277136AFTrailer Tow Module$82.651$82.65
6101946Tapping Hex Head Screw$0.503$1.50
6510468AANut$0.613$1.83

Note that to properly program the truck to recognize and use the brake controller and officially record that this truck VIN has a "dealer installed" feature, you must take it to the dealer. The dealer tech has to look up something called the "Sales Code" for a trailer brake and have it programmed. You can program the trailer brake yourself using something like AlphaODB but the next time the Ram software is updated, the changes you make locally will be overwritten and lost.

I have an extra set of parts as shown above. If someone wants these send me a note. Cost will be as shown above.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I * WAS * going to go this route. However, the dealer here would not gaurentee that an ebay controller would work. The charge to flash the ECM would still bethe same so instead I went with the Tecoshina (sp?) latest greatest model with the correct factory plug. I couldn't risk spending all that to do that and not have it work. They would gaurentee one they ordered and installed would work but the cost would have been unreal. The Tecoshina is removable ao it's really not in the way and works perfect.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
cdtzap

Unless things have changed, installing a Tekonsha does not require a dealer flash. The Tekonsha will not integrate with your Ram system or screens. It only uses the truck's power and trailer wiring to operate. Don't get me wrong, it is a great brake controller but does not give you readouts or sway control like the factory brake controller.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No it does not. Thats why I went that way. Sway control is not part of braking. That's a whole different thing with loading properly or using other devices to compensate for an improper loaded trailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts