RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2020 eco Laramie and so far with 1000 Miles it's good, it has hitch and wiring but no brake controller, is this a easy plug and play install, looks like just remove cover but not sure if it's that easy

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had the dealer do mine. Best thing I did for towing. A good quality after market controller with progressive braking will run around $150, dealer charged $260 and it works great with no ugly box bolted on your dash. The OEM controller is also very easy to reach in case of emergency.
The OEM controller is integrated with the trucks computer. It has 4 different memory settings for different trailers and 2 different load settings, light & heavy.
Even with my 8k lb tt I only need the light mode on around a 6-8 setting. I have used the heavy mode trailering a tractor on a flatbed trailer with a large tool box and it worked great. All I have to do is switch from setting 1 to setting 2 to switch trailers.
I would highly recommend the OEM controller. (y) (y)

PS welcome to the forum, enjoy your 2020!

·
Super Moderator
3,230 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As you can see great bunch of helpful folks around here. Times 2 on namrestud & Ram1's posts. I use my TBC regularly for sway control, assistance with stops, and with the engine brake (ECM tune provided) for speed control when coming down grades. I'm sure its a factor in why my truck brakes last so long.

If I had one suggestion for RAM it would be to put the TBC slider on the back side of the steering wheel behind the radio buttons. So that to operate it you just use your middle and ring finger to pull the slider towards you. In this way when operating it you would not have to take your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road. Critically helpful when emergency oscillating trailer sway rears its ugly head.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It was $250 on my window sticker from the factory so if you can get the dealer to do it for $260 that's a STEAL. I've seen an installation after the fact and it's not a simple job. Requires a few different parts and disassembly of the entire center dash stack. Then dealer programming as mentioned. The dealer programming alone would be at least $100 typically.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts