RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I finally picked up my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel mid January and the dealer forgot to install a hitch... In February I pulled up behind a trailer to bring a load of garbage to the dump and to my surprise there was no hitch. I have the trailer tow package and saw there was the connectors at the rear for the lights, and the trailer brake adjustment inside mounted to the dash... What part of Trailer tow group don't they understand??? Long story short they are paying for me to have a trailer hitch installed. I can't take the truck back to the dealership I it would be too long a drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best looking class IV trailer hitch. I have a 2015 Granite Laramie Limited Crew Cab with 5' 7" box plus air suspension. I'm looking for suggestions as to Reese / Curt / Hiddenhitch or whatever...

Thanks!

KJL

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
You're the second one I heard of.... I can't believe they didn't include a receiver! Not sure what to get, but best of luck figuring it out.

·
Registered
938 Posts
That's just nuts.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yep, its not part of the tow package....don't get me started.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Suggest a CURT hitch. I have purchased several CURT hitches from etrailer.com and they have always been easy to install. Just bolt them on.
They usually cost about $150 with free shipping.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Suggest a CURT hitch. I have purchased several CURT hitches from etrailer.com and they have always been easy to install. Just bolt them on.
They usually cost about $150 with free shipping.
The bolt on hitch is easy to install, but you down grade to a class 3 hitch. I wouldn't do it unless you plan to only tow a lawnmower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the RAM 1500, Etrailer.com sells a Class IV CURT receiver, bolt on Rated at 1000 pounds on tongue and 10,000 pounds towing. Also sell a Class V bolt on receiver rated at 1500 pounds on tongue and 15000 pounds towing. With a WD hitch the ratings go up another 10%.
My ED came with a towing package and Class IV bolt on hitch from the factory. Don't no why some of you do not get the hitch with the towing package.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I Had the same Thing. Ordered a Truck with The tow and traction package and it came with no reciever. Bummer but ok.
I had planned to upgrade the hitch anyway. If it had a factory hitch I would have had to cut it off to put on the upgrade hitch.
The factory hitch is fine and would have pulled my trailer fine but i will be puting on a camper and that will require an extension
to clear the camper and that would over stress the factory hitch. I know this because when I tried it on my 02 2500 with a factory hitch
it broak the factory hitch. So any way, I got a Curt Model 14374. Class 1V with a 1000 lb tongue weight rating. the stock hitch has a 500 lb
tongue weight rating. The Curt bolts to the frame and the bumper and looks good. not to blocky like the Draw tite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right Kressman. For the Ram 1500, the Ball on the bumper will carry 500 pounds and pull 5000 pounds. Factory Class IV hitch will carry 1000 pounds tongue weight and pull 10,500 pounds.
Info taken directly from the Ram Trucks CD that came with my truck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 1000 / 10,500 must be the capacity for the welded on hitches. The bolt ons they sell at the parts counter are rated @ 600 / 6000 and they still call them a class 4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the good info.. I'm planning on towing my 22 foot boat that has a weight of about 5000 lbs with trailer. The Class 4 Curt sounds like a good option. I'm still arguing with the salesperson about the hitch being included in the tow package. I'm attaching this photo to show that it IS part of the package.. How can he argue with what the website says??? trailer.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts