RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towing an enclosed 7x16 enclosed trailer and notice the trailer sways on the highway and can't figure out why. Could it be the ladders on top? 7k dual axle. Currently weight 5500 lbs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lowered the ball but the weight is distributed according to the trailer setup for work so not really able to change much. ill try and post a few pictures tomorrow. would a sway bar upgrade help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Towing an enclosed 7x16 enclosed trailer and notice the trailer sways on the highway and can't figure out why. Could it be the ladders on top? 7k dual axle. Currently weight 5500 lbs. Any ideas?
Depending on what you have for tires, this could be a contributing factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Could be too much weight up high and not enough tongue weight. Weigh the trailer to determine tongue weight, and shoot for 10-15% trailer weight as tongue weight, 12% being ideal.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I have exactly the same size enclosed trailer and have never had sway.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Need to weigh the truck empty on both steer and rear xl. That becomes your base line.
Then weigh the truck and trailer loaded, steer xl, drive xl, then the 2 trailer XLs. You will know exactly what's happening.
Then setup your weight distribution accordingly.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
136 Posts
What model is it? And what gears do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
WD hitch may help, but if your getting sway it’s ALWAYS an indictation of

1) unbalanced or incorrect loading.
OR
2) incorrect hitch setup.

If you’ve already made sure the trailer is level or slightly nose down with a hitch adjustment start looking at loading.

There is a minor chance that your axles are not aligned properly, but this usually shows up and excess tire wear vs sway.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
136 Posts
After 40+ years an Auto/Lt truck tech I fail to see why gears would have any effect on trailer sway. Do you use a WD hitch? I personally wouldn't do a sway without a WD hitch.
I will be the first to admit I don’t know much about towing. But I know that when I had my Laramie ecodiesel it could only pull 7,000 lbs. But other models could tow up to 10,000 could he be overloading the bed? I would get a lot of trailer away after adding all my camping gear and family. I even had a wdh with integrated away control.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will be the first to admit I don’t know much about towing. But I know that when I had my Laramie ecodiesel it could only pull 7,000 lbs. But other models could tow up to 10,000 could he be overloading the bed? I would get a lot of trailer away after adding all my camping gear and family. I even had a wdh with integrated away control.
I certainly hope he has a frame attached hitch, the bed isn't intended to tow. The fifth wheel adapters and gooseneck balls have a frame plate attached to the frame. I towed a 28 foot travel trailer about 800 miles with my father-in-laws 78 or 79 chevy 1/2 ton shortbed 2x4 with a wdh and sway control through some of the most serious mountain roads in Arizona without any issues.I'm certain the ECOS are more truck than that was.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts