RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 crewcab, 4x4 short bed, loaded with 2 adults, 3 kids and 300lbs in bed. Travel Trailer: dual axel with 7000lb loaded, Tongue weight loaded probably 700lbs. WDH Anderson, adjusted and tight. Trailer sits balanced back front to back.. CAT scale: truck front and back axles loaded equally (3550 lbs each). This set up worked great before. BUT: last trip, it got to be very windy. Trailer back end would sway. Truck felt stable mostly, but seeing trailer swaying does get your attentions. Had to slow down to 45 MPH just to control it. So the question is: only thing i can think of to improve is some air bags/ support bump stops to get little better control in rear end. When loaded, the truck does sit on the stock bump stops, and it does feel harsh when loaded truck hits bumps. Would you spend another 400 dollars to make it work? Or give up and go to 2500? Thank you for advice.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Might look into better tires for the trailer as well there usually rated just high enough to get by. Airlift 1000 work well and they pair with a wd hitch very well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Consider a set of airbags, lot of guy like the 1000 or bump up to the AirLift 5000, they're a bolt on frame to axle set up. Probably add a little more tongue weight if the trailer wants to sway, and/or try to keep bulk of the weight in the trailer over the axles.
It was windy out and a travel trailer is a giant sail, did you notice if semis where slowing down also?

·
Registered
120 Posts
First of all tongue weight should be ~12% which is 840#, not 700#. That alone may solve the entire problem. It may be necessary to move the cargo around in the trailer , or add water to a tank that sits in front of or over the axle, to achieve the desired tongue weight. I tow a TT ~6000# with no sway or any other issues with a tongue weight near your current one.
Second, check the door sticker for the cargo capacity. I believe that with your configuration it is ~1120#. Two adults 300#, 3 kids ~300#+, 300# cargo and correct tongue weight of 840# puts you at 1740#. This could also be part of the issue. You need to get the trailer on a scale and check the tongue weight and total trailer weight to come up with a good solution.
Canyon

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
When you did the set up of the weight distribution hitch did you have the wife/kids/300 lbs in the bed of the truck?

I have pulled our TT several times with just the wife and kids and minimal if anything in the bed. Took it to our property with 400 lbs of livestock feed in the bed and it was noticeably worse handling. I moved the feed from the middle of the bed to all the way up against the cab and it helped some but was still not the best. Take the feed out and it handles amazingly well. I will say that with the trailer feed and people we were over on the rated capacities of the truck but it did fine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you checked your coolant level? Just kidding. To add what others have said, consider how often you use the TT and how often is the wind harsh on your ride. Would you use the TT more if you had more confidence in your rig? Have you discussed options with a reputable RV or suspension shop? Just another $.02 for your consideration. Good luck and report back!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can check the tongue weight at home with floor scale and figure this out little better. Yes i do know about being over payload.... thank you trailer dealership: "you be just fine". Trying to make it work and not loose bunch of money, especially with resale value of our fireball rams ;) i might consider bumpstop support springs (cheap and low maintenance) for the rear to get little more support and see if it will work. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
120 Posts
Should have mentioned that, as suggested above, I installed the Airlift 1000 bags. I did not do that just for towing but also because of body roll, which I hate. In addition I run load range E tires which keep the truck more stable and prevents tire squirm.
Don't beat yourself up too much, from what I read here you will, most likely, be fine with some adjustments and a bit of patience. These trucks are workhorses and love towing when set up properly.
Canyon

·
Registered
716 Posts
You will like air bags. I had an extra leaf on my 2005 Ram, air bags on my 2017, ride is great, still hauls a big load. Win win.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think something is amiss in your setup if your sitting on the bump stops.
He's just high on payload with the added tongue weight. His tongue weight needs to go up some so airbags or timbrens would be a great investment.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I just know that in my crew cab short bed 4x4 with family of 4 and 400 lbs in the bed and our similar to heavier travel trailer is not on the bump stops loaded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts