RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 crewcab, 4x4 short bed, loaded with 2 adults, 3 kids and 300lbs in bed. Travel Trailer: dual axel with 7000lb loaded, Tongue weight loaded probably 700lbs. WDH Anderson, adjusted and tight. Trailer sits balanced back front to back.. CAT scale: truck front and back axles loaded equally (3550 lbs each). This set up worked great before. BUT: last trip, it got to be very windy. Trailer back end would sway. Truck felt stable mostly, but seeing trailer swaying does get your attentions. Had to slow down to 45 MPH just to control it. So the question is: only thing i can think of to improve is some air bags/ support bump stops to get little better control in rear end. When loaded, the truck does sit on the stock bump stops, and it does feel harsh when loaded truck hits bumps. Would you spend another 400 dollars to make it work? Or give up and go to 2500? Thank you for advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016 crewcab, 4x4 short bed, loaded with 2 adults, 3 kids and 300lbs in bed. Travel Trailer: dual axel with 7000lb loaded, Tongue weight loaded probably 700lbs. WDH Anderson, adjusted and tight. Trailer sits balanced back front to back.. CAT scale: truck front and back axles loaded equally (3550 lbs each). This set up worked great before. BUT: last trip, it got to be very windy. Trailer back end would sway. Truck felt stable mostly, but seeing trailer swaying does get your attentions. Had to slow down to 45 MPH just to control it. So the question is: only thing i can think of to improve is some air bags/ support bump stops to get little better control in rear end. When loaded, the truck does sit on the stock bump stops, and it does feel harsh when loaded truck hits bumps. Would you spend another 400 dollars to make it work? Or give up and go to 2500? Thank you for advice.
I'm running similar setup, similar weights except I have air bags. 18# in each bag levels truck and gives me good weight distribution on trailer axles and truck. I've towed my tt about 25K miles with this setup with no sway issues. That includes many high wind miles. The only issues I've had re high head wind and cross winds is less than optimal fuel mileage. I'd personally invest in air bags before I'd spendthe bucks on a 2500. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put the Airlift 1000s in mine at 45lbs...works very well and level the tongue weight alao at aprrox 700lbs...airlift 1000s are cheap and durable
swapped the same kit between 2 ecodiesels they still run strong..no leaks..fill valves poked thru black plastic space next to license plate light

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
You're at 10% on your tongue weight so I'd add a little to that as well. 12-15% would help reduce sway.

Consider airbags or Timbrens on the rear to make the ride feel more solid and predictable, especially with your high payload.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts