RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys running the Carlisle trailer tires? They are about $120.00 cheaper than the good year. What’s your experience and or review of these?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,062 Posts
Have used them for years since the mid 90's. Quality has gone down hill. They do fine, but once they hit a few years old just be ready to change a tire anytime even on short trips.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Any of you guys running the Carlisle trailer tires? They are about $120.00 cheaper than the good year. What’s your experience and or review of these?

thanks.
Hi: RickL... In 2019 I replaced my stock 205/ 15 Carlisle's with 205/ 15 Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Only 30 bucks more ea and made in the USA.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,199 Posts
Hi: RickL... In 2019 I replaced my stock 205/ 15 Carlisle's with 205/ 15 Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Only 30 bucks more ea and made in the USA.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,199 Posts
ATC came with West lake and on second set with no issues. They last about 20k miles.
Very durable and I run over 70 often.

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Two years ago I blew apart one of my toy hailer tires and stopped to replace them all. Third set In 10 years. Shop owner changing them told me he never changed a worn trailer tire. Darn things just blow apart in a couple years.

Right now I am on his replacement Hercules tires. Hoping to make it home with them in a couple weeks. They may look new with little mileage but I know - three years and KABOOM!

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was
Two years ago I blew apart one of my toy hailer tires and stopped to replace them all. Third set In 10 years. Shop owner changing them told me he never changed a worn trailer tire. Darn things just blow apart in a couple years.

Right now I am on his replacement Hercules tires. Hoping to make it home with them in a couple weeks. They may look new with little mileage but I know - three years and KABOOM!
I was told Hercules are very good tires and still made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
I was

I was told Hercules are very good tires and still made in the USA.
Read the same thing. After I bought them, remember little selection after that blowout, read the tire. They were not made in the US but do not remember where and too tired right now to go look.

Do think some are US.

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts

Load range D. Made in Thailand.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
255 Posts
I'll have to get a photo of our left rear tire. There's not much tread left, and I have to admit I should have checked it sooner. The front left is also worse than either right side tire, as I recall. Is tire rotation a good idea--or necessity--for tandem axle trailers?

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Load distribution in the trailer can be an issue. Same with how well the axles are lined up. Guessing tire alignment on trailers is not something normally done. Operation could be tearing off the tread from alignment issues.

They should wear the same. Should.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Currently have the radial trail HDs on my 8k TT load range D. Look great and fingers crossed haven’t had a problem. I read a while back that trailer tires lose 10-30% of their life each year through oxidation so I replace every 3-4 years depending on wear and tear. Rather not take chances over rather than spend a couple hundred bucks to keep myself and family safe

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Just successfully finished my third year on the tires. Now the toy hauler is parked, probably until March for a run to Daytona or even next Summer. If usage then is long I will probably not chance a fourth year.

For me the usage just once or twice a year has my tires just sitting doing a "flat spot". They are not in the sun but just air exposure must deteriorate them. Gone in three is a good thing to remember.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I’ve been trailering many years now and the best tire I have found is the MAXXIS trailer tire. I buy there E range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Do you put the jacks down when in stroage? Just wondering if getting some weight off the tires might help against flat spots.
The answer is "NO". I have thought of doing something like that, even putting the whole thing on blocks. I keep the trailer on a dirt floor under a carport. One side is solid so only exposed to one open side under roof. It would be kind of a pain to jack things up and hold on the dirty plus I know my luck. Soon as I do all that work I will need to actually use the thing.

At the end I'm not sure it would help as I would have to go more years and wait for a blow-out to prove anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The best possible trailer tire would be the ones you have on the front of your truck. Most LTs that are made in the USA work great...Would you put trailer tires on you tow vehicle? No because they are for the most part all junk!!

·
Premium Member
13,974 Posts
Agree that trailer tires are "junk". Never could figure out why people do not normally put regular truck/car tires on trailers. Think it has something to do with sidewalls on trailers getting scrubbed on curbs and things when turning too tight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts