RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help answer the questions in RED.

I just hit 100k and ordered/received the over-sized PPE Pan and Filter. I forgot to order a new gasket, so am still awaiting it. I will do the job next week. I found the info below (in purple) from the 'infamous' Vern and thought I would repost, as this is simply stated as I need it.

One question I still have.... does our 8-speed tranny have that bypass valve that actuates at 160 degrees? If so, is this why Vern runs his tranny temp up to 176 before dumping? This makes sense to me, so that all the old fluid runs out of the cooler and cooling lines. Anyone have info on this topic?

Another question related to the bypass valve.... Once I dump the old fluid and replace the new pan & filter, fill up to capacity and run through the gears.... Shouldn't I run the tranny temp back above 160 degrees before I top off to capacity so that the bypass valve opens and the cooler and lines refill? I think there is a Catch-22 here.... as if I run it above 122 degrees.... the fluid will be expanded, hence being overfilled. How is this solved for?

I also wonder how much Valvoline Maxlife I need to purchase. With the oversized pan, I am guessing I need to simply buy two (2), one gallon jugs.... eight quarts.

And finally.... what are most of you using for your transfer case for fluid?

From Vern:
I change my trans fluid every 100k ish. I used the factory trans fluid for the first 100k. A quality aftermarket blended for & meets speck for our trans fluid called Quantum Blue for 300k. It was still less expensive than the grossly over priced Mopar fluid for our trans. Now I use Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic for the last 200k. I’m going to stick with the Valvoline Maxlife. It’s readily available in gallon jugs at most auto parts chains is far more reasonably priced than most any other known reputable brand that I know of and can sometimes be found on special. I don’t believe it’s been approved or specked for our trans but many have been using it for a long time. It takes 6 quarts to do a simple drain & fill.

You may want to read up on and print out the ZF instructions & flowchart on changing this trans fluid in our maintenance section. I arrange for doing it at a buddies shop. I drive mine to get the transmission up to temp 176 degrees per ZF before pulling in to put it up on the lift to speed up the process and lessen the time on the lift. The directions first confused me because they don’t assume that you are doing a routine preventative change but rather are from an after transmission repair scenario. Drain it then fill it until it runs out the filler hole and close it. Then run the engine until the trans temp is between 86 & 122 degrees then select P R & D manually button shift D1 & D2. Hold each gear for about 10 seconds. If trans temp is still in the 86 to 122 degrees range open the oil fill if nothing dribbles out add until it does & close it up you are done.

That was VernDiesel’s readers digest version. It’s worked for me for 600k miles now with no repairs. Little extra work than old transmissions from back in the day but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You fill the transmission with transmission temps between 80-120 F as per factory spec it well take 7-8 quarts with the PPE pan. When doing a fluid change its always best to get the fluid warm to help get out all of the fluid and contaminants.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You fill the transmission with transmission temps between 80-120 F as per factory spec it well take 7-8 quarts with the PPE pan. When doing a fluid change its always best to get the fluid warm to help get out all of the fluid and contaminants.
I've read that several times as well...... but that doesn't resolve this question......

Is the level "factored in" by Ram that if we fill completely to the fill hole..... then there is enough total fluid to make up for the empty cooler and lines?

Another question related to the bypass valve.... Once I dump the old fluid and replace the new pan & filter, fill up to capacity and run through the gears.... Shouldn't I run the tranny temp back above 160 degrees before I top off to capacity so that the bypass valve opens and the cooler and lines refill? I think there is a Catch-22 here.... as if I run it above 122 degrees.... the fluid will be expanded, hence being overfilled. How is this solved for?

This guy discusses this at the very end of his video. The topic starts at the 12 min mark.

He is suggesting that the tranny temp needs to be run up past 160 degrees once done with the job.... let it cool back below 122 and then check level.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just occurred to me that I might be over-thinking this....

If Ram's fluid leveling "procedure" is always between 80'something and 122 degrees.... then they must have factored in the empty cooler and line capacity.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Just follow the ZF instructions and you'll be good. My trans with PPE pan took just under 2gal, probably 7 quarts of valvoline maxlife.

Easy to make your own pressurized fluid pump from a 1gal yard sprayer and some clear tubing. I added a plastic ball valve to the line and a plastic 90 degree elbow to the end that fit perfectly into the fill hole. Total cost under $20.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the reference of 0.5L overfill in the instruction set if the truck has a cooler?

If 'standard fill' is running out of the fill hole..... how the heck do we get another 0.5 quarts in there?

Look here:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Your over thinking it just fill it while its between 80-120 and if you want you can recheck it later but mine was still perfect after multiple drive cycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts