RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the options by multiple vendors for transmission tuning now, what are thoughts on it for those who use their trucks for daily driving / house tasks instead of towing? I'll be tuning my engine shortly and have been looking at the option of transmission tuning but I wasn't sure it was worth the expense in my situation. Looking at GDE's list of benefits, it appears that for DD's that only a little better shifts and maybe improved MPG's are the result in actual practical application.

Here is the link to their list of benefits:

So with that I also have to wonder what is the mechanical cost of this? Does whatever tuning does to the transmission internally possibly lead to increased wear? Being I am in search of longevity, I just am left to wonder if doing this option for someone who doesn't tow is really worth the financial or mechanical cost overall.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
While not all tuning is equal I can say gde transmission tune make these much better. Personally I hesated to do mine but finally decided I wanted the dyno calibration so I went for it. Then later when I put it back to stock it was night and day how much worse the stock tcm tuning is. Better lockup strategy combined with better shift strategy can improve the transmission life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the GDE trans tune and will recommend it without hesitation.

The current factory tune for the trans will almost never shift into 8th gear, and if it does, it will shift down to 7th at the slightest increase in load. If there's an increase in wind resistance, like for example if a mouse farts in the general direction of your truck, it will downshift. If you are on a perfectly flat road, and hit a "hill" that goes up 1/2" over a 1/4 mile, it will downshift. It may even downshift because of the bug that just went splat on your windshield.

On the stock trans tune, my truck would not shift into 8th gear unless I was coasting, either downhill or coming up to a stop sign/light. If my foot was on the go pedal, it would only shift as high as 7th gear. If I accelerated to 65mph and let it coast down to 55mph, it would shift to 8th while coasting but the minute I put my foot on the pedal to maintain 55mph it would downshift. This is BS in my opinion because there's no point in having 8th gear if the trans isn't going to use it, and who upshifts when they are slowing down? But all the FCA trained people kept telling me this is normal. It also behaves this way with cruise control.

GDE actually uses 8th gear and will hold it considerably longer. I have seen it hold 8th as low as 45mph (when coasting down, not accelerating). I used to drive to work going 55mph in 7th gear at about 1700rpm getting 20mpg. Now I drive to work going 55mph in 8th gear at about 1300rpm getting 25mpg.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I went with SFTs transmission tune beginning of last year when I was looking into it. Had GDEs engine tune but my budget didn't allow me to spend the extra 300 GDEs trans tune cost over sft's at that time. The tune made a huge difference and the truck drove much nicer. I've been very happy with the tune and have put over 40k miles on it.

My dad has GDEs transmission tune and loves it. Gde isn't selling their tunes right now but will be again soon. I know there are other companies out there as well but I don't have any experience with them.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Highly recommend a trans tune. Really wakes the truck up in daily driving, and for me, made more of an impact on driving than the ECM tune. The stock trans tune is lazy.

You'll be glad you did.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
The trans tune makes the transmission shift quicker than the factory tune and is well worth it to me. The truck feels completely different with it. As others have said you’ll be glad you have it once you experience the difference.

That said the only thing I don’t like at least with the GDE trans tune is the delayed shifting when below 50* But I use manual mode and shift it myself.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well worth the money. Improves the driveability on my DD.
Got into heavy stop & go traffic on my drive home tonight and I love using the TOW mode even when not towing in heavy traffic for the downshifting and holding a gear longer for way less braking.
2016 with 230,000kms

·
Registered
195 Posts
The GDE trans tune for a daily driver is great. In addition to the comments above I recently experienced descending a steep residential grade off the bench in Bountiful, UT. I put a light drag on the brakes to bring the truck to the speed limit and then just let it coast without any further input from the shifter, or the go and brake pedals. All by itself the truck held to the speed limit for the entire mile and a half. The stock trans set up would hold for a while but would gradually creep up in speed and then seem to let go and start free wheeling down the same hill. I have also had the same experience going the 20 or so miles down Logan Canyon without having to down shift. The descent control feature of the tune is great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts