RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the fluid capacities for the ram 1500 transfer case and transmission? Also, what fluids other than ZF lifeguard and Amsoil Fuel efficient are compliant with the 8hp 70 and 2015 ram 1500 transfer case?

Thanks for all your help. I’m currently replacing the reluctor wheel in my truck and will post a video walkthrough of it later.

Thanks all,

Dave

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
From one of the other sections:
Rear: Just over 2 quarts of 75W/140 synthetic with limited slip additive (most brands include it in their version)
Front: Just over 1 quart of 75W/90 synth (no LS additive needed)
T-Case: Just over 2 quarts of ATF+4

So your shopping list looks like this:

3 quarts of 75W/140 synth w/ LS additive
2 quarts of 75W/90 synth
2 quarts ATF+4

You may need to buy an 8mm Allen head socket for the front diff drain and fill plugs. Also take a look at the transfer case fill plug. You'll need to take off the harmonic damper and the Torx head bolts make it difficult to remove once they are unscrewed about halfway so I used a 1/4" drive ratcheting box end wrench with the proper Torx head size to remove.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From one of the other sections:
Rear: Just over 2 quarts of 75W/140 synthetic with limited slip additive (most brands include it in their version)
Front: Just over 1 quart of 75W/90 synth (no LS additive needed)
T-Case: Just over 2 quarts of ATF+4

So your shopping list looks like this:

3 quarts of 75W/140 synth w/ LS additive
2 quarts of 75W/90 synth
2 quarts ATF+4

You may need to buy an 8mm Allen head socket for the front diff drain and fill plugs. Also take a look at the transfer case fill plug. You'll need to take off the harmonic damper and the Torx head bolts make it difficult to remove once they are unscrewed about halfway so I used a 1/4" drive ratcheting box end wrench with the proper Torx head size to remove.
I won’t be touching the diffs, just the transfer case and transmission. The t case takes atf 4?

What about other readily available fluids for the 8hp70?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
dakohrs, What color and year is your truck?

I change my trans fluid every 100k ish. I used the factory trans fluid for the first 100k. A quality aftermarket blended for & meets speck for our trans fluid called Quantum Blue for 300k. It was still less expensive than the grossly over priced Mopar fluid for our trans. Now I use Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic for the last 200k. I’m going to stick with the Valvoline Maxlife. It’s readily available in gallon jugs at most auto parts chains is far more reasonably priced than most any other known reputable brand that I know of and can sometimes be found on special. I don’t believe it’s been approved or specked for our trans but many have been using it for a long time. It takes 6 quarts to do a simple drain & fill.

You may want to read up on and print out the ZF instructions & flowchart on changing this trans fluid in our maintenance section. I arrange for doing it at a buddies shop. I drive mine to get the transmission up to temp 176 degrees per ZF before pulling in to put it up on the lift to speed up the process and lessen the time on the lift. The directions first confused me because they don’t assume that you are doing a routine preventative change but rather are from an after transmission repair scenario. Drain it then fill it until it runs out the filler hole and close it. Then run the engine until the trans temp is between 86 & 122 degrees then select P R & D manually button shift D1 & D2. Hold each gear for about 10 seconds. If trans temp is still in the 86 to 122 degrees range open the oil fill if nothing dribbles out add until it does & close it up you are done.

That was VernDiesel’s readers digest version. It’s worked for me for 600k miles now with no repairs. Little extra work than old transmissions from back in the day but well worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.