RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. I have a 15 bighorn with some strange issues. I placed my GoPro underneath and found the tail piece of the transfer case to shake violently during takeoff. The truck is at the dealership and has been for weeks. They've replaced the transmission mounts and put two different drive shafts in it with no change. This truck has the two piece shaft with carrier bearing. I'm going to post a link to the video but I'm not sure if it will work. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need my truck back!! Also, if I have a trailer with any amount of weight on it it holds the "shake" up to 10-15mph

·
Registered
704 Posts
Definitely weird. I watch your videos and some of them depict some pretty serious vibrations. I guess that it is obvious that the shudder is also causing the seal to leak. The shudder occurs during max toque conditions so it seems logical to be worse/longer when trying to pull a load.

Are you the original owner?
Are you absolutely certain that the transfer case has the right spec fluid in it?
Did the symptoms start gradually or appear suddenly?

I hope you get to the bottom of it!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,856 Posts
WOW! Is it just me or does it look like the transfer case moves forward when the truck takes off? The driveshaft and rear end would have to be shifting also? The split drive shaft and the carrier bearing should stop any forward/aft motion coming from the rear end. The rear section of the drive shaft also expands/contracts also. Was the rear section of the drive shaft replaced?
You said they replaced the transmission mounts, what about the engine mounts?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
New Guy , We had another member complain about transmission/ driveline vibrations,I believe they even replaced his transmission and he still has the issue. To me it seems like something is moving or Wacked out making something to move , wonder if something could be out of alignment? Causing a bind ?
To me if I was working on it , I would try to pry and try move everything with a long bar , to try and get any movement , then I would pull another exact Eco diesel next to it and start getting measurements from every angle, especially the rear end . You definitely have a problem!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd be curious to see video looking towards the rear end and another looking towards the front. That looks like an old wrangler we had where the joints were binding.

I can't imagine that's the problem here especially if they have been replaced. Does this truck have the clutched transfer case? It's almost like its bouncing from transferring power to the front when the front isn't expecting it or the timing is off.

Conspiracy theory, what if they put 3.55 in the back and 3.92 in the front making the wheels hop and bind when power is transferred to both front and rear.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I am going to guess that it's bad engine mounts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm the original owner. Everything is completely stock fluid and all. I started noticing it around 20k at highway speeds and thought the tires were just bad. Had them balanced and rotated several times with no change. The take off issue started at around 28k, or that's when I noticed it. The have replaced both parts of the shaft as well as the carrier bearing, twice. The first shaft they put in only had 78 miles on it and the star case the dealership opened had them replace it again. My original shaft was "warped" according to the shop foreman. As far as I know they have only replaced the transmission mounts. The entire drive train does move forward. I have some other videos of before the first shaft that definitely shows it. The leakage is new... Wasn't doing that until they put the second shaft in. I've been told that they have checked everything...rear end, carrier, mounts.. etc and everything is in line. My dad has an Ecodiesel also, same wheelbase, but his has a one piece aluminum shaft with no issues yet. I've had several small issues with this truck but nothing this aggravating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I failed to do was do the test in 4wd. I was in a rush to get it back to the dealership and didn't even think about it. I'll keep this updated for sure and let everyone know what the fix is. I know I can't be the only one. After they figure this out hopefully they can find out why I have an intermittent engine sure when I place it in gear... My Cummins did that but it ended up being a fuel pump issue.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,856 Posts
It's a bit baffling about the drivetrain shifting forward. With the split shaft and carrier bearing, wouldn't think that would be plausible.
Are all the u-joints aligned the entire length of the shaft? With the driveshafts being replaced, you would think that wouldn't be an issue.
What year is the truck? Also what Cab/Bed configuration?

·
Registered
13,835 Posts
Nasty. Had to look. Read all the opinions above. Nothing unique to add for an idea except, "it ain't right".

You mentioned noticing this after some substantial mileage. That would tell me it was not an issue early-on or maybe just not noticeable. Something must have changed from new if that's the case. Tire wear, like different sizes or anything that might cause the re-occuring binding and shake. Seems the shaking comes and goes. Just ideas to ponder and maybe share with the dealer.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Looks to me like the shudder coming from a clutch failing to fully engage. In the days of manual transmissions it was not uncommon for a shuddering clutch on engagement. I'd be looking for something wrong in the transmission pressures, clutch packs or control modules.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The truck is a 2015 crew cab with the 6.5 or 6.4 foot Ram Box bed, I can't remember the exact spec I just know it's longer than most Ram boxes. At the time the truck was ordered you couldn't get the Ecodiesel in this configuration but a guy special ordered it with every bell and whistle except leather. He backed out on the truck before it came in and went with a hemi version. I still have the factory garbage Goodyear tires that came on it. The have maybe 10k left on them. I'm really leaning towards something internal to the transmission. If you guys haven't seen the inside of these 8 speeds it a sight to see. All I can do is wait for Chrysler to go to step two of their star case procedure... The techs keep telling me everything is aligned and as it should be, that there is no reason it should be doing this. They claimed over and over they couldn't feel anything until I brought in the video proof. Hopefully this will get straightened out and my fuel mileage will come back up. Since my egr issue and this started my milage has dropped off. 21mpg on a good day.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
IF the truck is completely stock, it looks like bad engine and transmission mounts. Could also be some U-joint issues as well.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
IF the truck is completely stock, it looks like bad engine and transmission mounts. Could also be some U-joint issues as well.
Not sure if this truck has one, but if it does, you might want to try greasing your the slip joint. that thing has to be able to move in and out under load. if there isn't enough grease, under load it can lock up and transmit every axle vibration up into the transfer case, transmission and engine. this then makes your truck shudder.

Ford has a known issue with this.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ok my best guess here is engine to tranny plate (flywheel bolts loose) or a damaged out put crankshaft shaft.....yes it can break there has been others with snapped crankshafts at out put.

They need to rotate engine by starter and check runout of crankshaft to tranny flywheel....
Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The two new driveshafts they have already put in were all greased properly, or so I was told. I knew that from a Ford owners issue before. I'll mention the run-out check though, that definitely sounds like a possibility and I know they haven't checked for it. Thanks icanfixit! It could possibly explain my intermittent engine surging when I place it in drive or reverse as well. At its worst I was bouncing from 500-800 RPM with my foot on the break. After take off that would go away. Never had a CEL even though the truck stalled out, first I have ever had do that with an automatic...

·
Registered
656 Posts
New guy here. I have a 15 bighorn with some strange issues. I placed my GoPro underneath and found the tail piece of the transfer case to shake violently during takeoff. The truck is at the dealership and has been for weeks. They've replaced the transmission mounts and put two different drive shafts in it with no change. This truck has the two piece shaft with carrier bearing. I'm going to post a link to the video but I'm not sure if it will work. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need my truck back!! Also, if I have a trailer with any amount of weight on it it holds the "shake" up to 10-15mph
Thanks for the videos,,,, I have the same shaking and vibrations, dealership cannot figure out the problem so they replaced the center carrier bearing, just because, made no difference. Hopefully this might give them some idea. They finally told me that these trucks shake a little, so relax. I said it was perfectly fine and smooth with no vibrations the first 25k, there reply again was it's going to shake a little. Another total BS dealer story. As a lot of dealers know very little about these trucks, seems strange.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The two new driveshafts they have already put in were all greased properly, or so I was told. I knew that from a Ford owners issue before. I'll mention the run-out check though, that definitely sounds like a possibility and I know they haven't checked for it. Thanks icanfixit! It could possibly explain my intermittent engine surging when I place it in drive or reverse as well. At its worst I was bouncing from 500-800 RPM with my foot on the break. After take off that would go away. Never had a CEL even though the truck stalled out, first I have ever had do that with an automatic...
i would bet dolkars to donuts they either didnt grease it or didnt grease enough. there should be nothing generating a forward force on the engine and trans assembly. icanfixit has an interesting diagnosis that coyld generate vibration but not sure if it could move the entire assembly like that. who knows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Definitely not normal Smoky! If you have a GoPro I'd highly recommend doing the same thing as I have. I had to show them the proof. They initially told me to change my rear diff fluid because it tested bad at 34k...lol of course they would do it for $189 bit couldn't move forward with a diagnosis until that was performed. I did it my self and brought the perfect Golden colored fluid to the dealer and made them refund my money for the fluid. No metal at all in the diff housing or discoloration. The dealer told me these two piece shafts come as one sealed piece and are prepacked from the factory. I'm leaning towards something internal or what icanfixit has suggested. Take a look at the YouTube video on these trannys. There is a large aluminum housing that fits over all the internal gear assemblies. I'm curious if that is warped as well considering my original driveshaft was warped. Going by the dealer today and getting an update from the foreman.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is crazy. Hope they figure this out soon. This kinda scares me more than a bad engine lol.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts