RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided and went with 30k mile oil change intervals for my Rear Diff (this is not the question).

I bought the truck used with 30k miles on it and changed out both Diffs and the T-case that following weekend. Only the Rear Diff oil looked dirty.

I am now at 60k miles and planning on changing out the Rear Diff oil again before the summer camping/towing and offroad adventuring season begins. (If we have one, COVID19)

Since I use 4x4 a lot do to the snow and offroad adventuring should I change out the Front Diff and T-case too?

Gonna do some social distancing by doing some snow wheeling today. Will get a pic and post. ❄?

Btw... anyone come up with a definitive alternative to the Mopar T-case oil besides Amsoil, like Maxlife ATF?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ran Amsoil in my 1995 Dodge 2500 4X4 that we ordered and got new. We put Amsoil in front and rear dif, T case and 5 speed manual Tran. 2 week after we got it. We used Amsoil grease on all grease fittings. We had 250,000 plus when we sold it a few Month ago. We put one water pump and a up graded Clutch and pressure plate after maxing out HP and torque with a Banks system. We did put a 4" exhust system and exhust brake on the truck. Nothing else was done to the truck in 250,000 only a few values adjustments, oil changes at 7000 or once a year and all gear oil every 75000
So i think you will not go wrong with the Amsoil. I got may Amsoil ordered for my 2020 Limited Ecodiesel 4X4 should be here Monday or Tuesday. I am letting my services department do my first service but using Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel oil 5W-40 that meets the specs. in the manual. The Amsoil sight is not showing anything but the European car formula 5W-40 Classic ESP synthetic motor oil and no other.I used the 2017 Ecodiesel for the other fluids .The service department was fine with me supplying my own oil when they do my service. He said that Amsoil was a great oil.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yet to change xfer case w/ the auto 4x4 case at 207,000 miles. Valvoline full synthetic in front and rear around 150,000.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would not worry about the T case or front diff. I use 4x4 quite bit as well but have yet to really pull dirty oil out of them after the first initial oil change. I am trying to remember the interval I used on my 2011 1500. Regardless, I changed the factory fill at about 100-110,000km, it was black and poured out like water when cold. I used group 4 based 80w140 in it. I put at maybe 40,000km on that index, which included an absolute pile of heavy highway towing. I changed it to have a look at it and I was surprised. It came out as golden colored as it went in. I was ballparking maybe 100,000km changes after that but ended up trading the truck in before reaching that number.

Sorry that is anecdotal as we know color alone is not the only judge of an oil, let alone scientific. But none the less, I was surprised as I ran that thing like I stole it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The first change is the most important with differentials after that one can extend it out. Personally I use and recommend first change around 20k then go longer from there. Now for the transfer case I can only recommend mopar or Amsoil since there the only options I know work. The 44-44 transfer case uses a wet clutch so transmission fluid should be a good fit but without testing its hard to know what well and wont work.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Getting ready to change my front diff and tcase real soon when it hits 100k miles. Rear diff was done much sooner.

I bought the Mopar fluid for the transfer case. Auto cases like my 44-44 are very finicky when it comes to fluid, seen too many ruined by the wrong fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts