RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 8 speed trans have an external spin-on filter? I read an interesting article in either Trailer Life or Motorhome mag written by 2 engineers recomending a filter change within the first 5000 miles. Their position was that significant particulates are in the fluid from the manufacture process and break-in, and removing as much as possible would improve longevity. Complete fluid and filter change would be ideal, but changing just external spin on filter would be helpful. Article also highlighted aftermarket inline filters which would filter smaller particles (measured in microns) and provide increased flow. These I think are used more on big rigs. It sounds like a reasonable step if filter is spin-on type and 1 quart of fluid to install it full.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmm. Never heard of one on these little transmissions.

Good question. Maybe someone "in the know" will respond?

·
Registered
334 Posts
From what I've read it is a "sealed" unit no dipstick and requires no service but it is supposed to have a filter and there is a hole to measure oil level with a dipstick

·
Registered
255 Posts
transmission fluid is designed to foam under heat and pressure and push away these particulates via the filter. This is a very good question and something we should look into. From my understanding though new trannys have a break in fluid dont they? Iam pretty sure the properties of the break in fluid are different then from regular fluid. Again Iam not 100% sure but I would caution getting your fluid change until verifying this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the fluid is a break-in fluid. I believe manual calls for 100,000 miles for first change. I haven't gotten underneath and looked much yet. I hope a filter change is possible.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is straight from the owners manual. The only way to check the fluid level is a plug on the drivers side, if fluid comes out after removing it everything is fine. If no fluid leaks out then you may need to add to it. That's the information I have found, it's almost impossible to get any information on the this transmission.

Fluid And Filter Changes – Eight-Speed
Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the
life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However
change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes
contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is
disassembled for any reason.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really do not like that there is not dipstick on this transmission. But that said I will not be waiting tell 100,000 mile to do my first service on the trans mission. I will probably get the first service between 20,000 and 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
lol if it says 100,00miles for the first change then it has to be break in fluid. Regular ATF is only good for 60,000km. The mercedes Tranny on my charger was the same but the interval was 100,000 km for the first change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 06 BMW 3-series has a ZF transmission with so called "lifetime" fluid as well. I've heard that BMW is backing off the "lifetime" designation and suggesting owners change the fluid at 50-60K intervals. Changing the fluid and filter is actually pretty easy - it's just messy as hell.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
First......

There was supposed to be a spin-on filter.... but when I was under my truck... I don't remember seeing one. Humm..... I guess I'll be getting back under it once the weather clears. (I'll look)

Second... I've never done an early fluid change on a trans.... so the 100,000 mi interval doesn't bother me. As above... that's what the filter is for.

Third.... I FULLY understand why they got rid of the dip stick on the trans. IT CAUSES MORE PROBLEMS THAN IT SOLVES !!!!!

a) People (in general) these days are less mechanical, and dont' understand that the trans needs to be hot, and level to check it. Also, over the years, I've see some that need checked while running, and some that need checked while stopped, but hot. SO... you would get some A-hole at jiffy lube, check it, and say it's high or low... in turn... possibly over filling it... causing foam.... and causing the trans to overheat, or wear.

b) Today, ATF is not as simple as it once was. In the 70's, you had Mercon or Dextran. (basically Ford or Chevy) The old MoPar trans could run on either. Then, in the late 80's... there was ATF2 for the MoPar types, and an import fluid. But now.... we have at least 10 types, and people don't understand that they ARE NOT compatible. Because of that... you would get someone miss check the dip stick... and then worse than the scenario above... you would get topped off with an ATF that is not compatible... and the trans eats itself.

The "No Dipstick" thing isn't new. The import companies started it in the mid 2000's. (my 2007 FJ didn't have one)

With that all said... if you are "Mechanical"... and you understand the importance of the proper fluids... then don't worry. There is a plug on the side of the trans, and you check it like a standard gear case, axle, transfercase... etc. Needing to crawl under it, and pulling a plug keeps the "Idiots" out of an expensive trans.

My 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think if used for regular towing and other severe duty driving, early fluid changes would be a good precaution. Fluid price seems to be in the $30.00 - $40.00 per quart. Not sure about filter cost.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea of bringing my truck to my trusted local transmission shop. I'm just over 100k now

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The video on U Tube showed that the trans oil pan has the filter built in to it. You have to change the trans. pan , oil, and filter all at once.

Also quite pricy if I remember right.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Site supporter Geno's Garage sells a transmission service kit for $283, fluid not included.

·
Super Moderator
3,310 Posts
The first link is the factory filterpan at discount. The second link is a better than factory fluid made by Amzoil. Its approved for our trans and much cheaper than dealer fluid. Its not the Quantum blue that I used but is less expensive and again still quality. I must say though that the Quantum blue, a blended specifically for our trans fluid did remove the hard drop to 5th many of us experience when hitting a grade while towing. It can be ordered here but is not listed on their website; http://bndautomotive.com/ I don't know whether the Amzoil fluid will remove the hard drop to 5th.

A simple filterpan and fluid change only requires 6 quarts as much is left in the converter. At $142 for the Mopar filterpan & retail price of $13.45 a quart for six quarts of their signature series comes to $223.44 plus tax & shipping. Making cost of doing a trans service affordable for us do it your selfers.

You would want the truck up on a lift or at least all four wheels up on ramps or set on jackstands and a floor roller. And you would need one of them cheap little hand pumps that most autoparts stores sell to do it yourself. The second time around since break in wear particles etc came out with the first filterpan change you could simply do a flush or drain & fill. Mopar says its lifetime fluid. In my interpretation that means the lifetime of their warranty. Paraphrasing; ZF's site said extreme duty such as towing should have a fluid change every 75,000 miles. I did my first change at 100,000 miles and it still had fairly good color and had no burnt smell.

Trans Pan - Ram Part # 68142478AB - 2014 Ram 1500 SLT with a 3.0L V6 - Diesel engine : Mopar Parts Store | Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM Parts and Accessories For Sale | moparpartsstore.com

AMSOIL Auto & Light Truck Lookup Guide

EDIT When I try to link the signature series transmission fluid it replaces it with a link for engine oil so just put in your truck info and select transmission fluid from the options. There should be two trans fluids listed my money would be on the better one.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The first link is the factory filterpan at discount. The second link is a better than factory fluid made by Amzoil. Its approved for our trans and much cheaper than dealer fluid. Its not the Quantum blue that I used but is less expensive and again still quality. I must say though that the Quantum blue, a blended specifically for our trans fluid did remove the hard drop to 5th many of us experience when hitting a grade while towing. It can be ordered here but is not listed on their website; http://bndautomotive.com/ I don't know whether the Amzoil fluid will remove the hard drop to 5th.

A simple filterpan and fluid change only requires 6 quarts as much is left in the converter. At $142 for the Mopar filterpan & retail price of $13.45 a quart for six quarts of their signature series comes to $223.44 plus tax & shipping. Making cost of doing a trans service affordable for us do it your selfers.

You would want the truck up on a lift or at least all four wheels up on ramps or set on jackstands and a floor roller. And you would need one of them cheap little hand pumps that most autoparts stores sell to do it yourself. The second time around since break in wear particles etc came out with the first filterpan change you could simply do a flush or drain & fill. Mopar says its lifetime fluid. In my interpretation that means the lifetime of their warranty. Paraphrasing; ZF's site said extreme duty such as towing should have a fluid change every 75,000 miles. I did my first change at 100,000 miles and it still had fairly good color and had no burnt smell.

Trans Pan - Ram Part # 68142478AB - 2014 Ram 1500 SLT with a 3.0L V6 - Diesel engine : Mopar Parts Store | Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM Parts and Accessories For Sale | moparpartsstore.com

http://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-and-light-truck/2014/ram/1500-pickup/3-0l-6-cyl-engine-code-m-exf-m-diesel-turbo/us-volume/

AMSOIL Auto & Light Truck Lookup Guide
Thanks, Vern! $300 is cheap insurance. Just hit 100k myself, I'll be ordering in short order.

·
Registered
185 Posts
this link posted above is the trans pan and filter built in? man this is super cheap even with the dollar swap (canada). its like 400$ CAD here. anyone want to ship me the oil pan??? pretty please.

eddy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts