RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest diesel supplement from Ram's website provides no mileage/time interval for the replacement of the transmission fluid and filter for the Ecodiesel Ram 1500. Is there a recommended interval to have this serviced, or is it a "lifetime" fluid since it is a "sealed" system?

TurboDieselPoint

·
Registered
731 Posts
The manual actually states that under normal conditions, the fluid should last the life of the vehicle. If it's ever gotten water damage or disassembled, it needs new fluid. I think the 100K mile came from the mechanic.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The whole "lifetime" fill idea is bogus. I used to have a 2006 F150. I bought it at 125kmi. It's tranny was lifetime fill. It's tranny temps seemed kinda high at 235ish when I was towing so I changed it tranny fluid. Temps went down 35-40deg. That was the end of me believing in lifetime fill. From then on I changed the tranny fluid every couple of years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nothing last forever. My rule of thumb is every 50K do a change. It checks for foreign matter in the bottom of the pan and only changes about 40% of the fluid.
Best insurance policy.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nothing last forever. My rule of thumb is every 50K do a change. It checks for foreign matter in the bottom of the pan and only changes about 40% of the fluid.
Best insurance policy.
Why only 40%? Is there a way to change it all out? Your info is generic or specifically re. our tranny?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Generically there is no provision to drain or change the fluid in the torque converter. Manufacturers stopped putting drain plugs in converters roughly 30 years ago so I would assume there is no drain plug in the ED tranny either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The transmissions I have had seviced for at least ten years have all been flushed out and refilled with a pressurized system that changes all the fluid. Just had my 09 Ram done and changed all 16 quarts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The transmissions I have had seviced for at least ten years have all been flushed out and refilled with a pressurized system that changes all the fluid. Just had my 09 Ram done and changed all 16 quarts.
You are correct Sir. If you do the pressurized method and get the fluid in the radiator and torque converter. It's just more expensive. I just do a drain pan and screen. About 4 to 5 quarts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts