RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question as I will be interested in purchasing a used 2020 or 2021 Ecodiesel in a year of 2
and am wondering if the new generation has a better process for changing the transmission fluid than the
older generation.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I'd have to crawl under one to find out, not sure anyone has owned a 2020 long enough to think about servicing the transmission.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As it appears to be the same family of transmissions, I suspect no difference. Nothing obvious on a quick glance under the truck

·
Registered
107 Posts
It appears that mine has a drain bolt on the trans pan. I haven't inspected closely but that's what it looked like. If so, it's already a step ahead of the 850RE version of the trans. used in the Gladiator.

Having said that, the fluid is 150,000 mile service interval, so why worry about it? I figure if you drop the pan and replace the filter one time, you'll get through the entire useful life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
It appears that mine has a drain bolt on the trans pan. I haven't inspected closely but that's what it looked like. If so, it's already a step ahead of the 850RE version of the trans. used in the Gladiator.

Having said that, the fluid is 150,000 mile service interval, so why worry about it? I figure if you drop the pan and replace the filter one time, you'll get through the entire useful life of the vehicle.
If it's anything like the plastic drain plug in the 2nd Gen plastic pan, it's totally useless.

If that's FCA's service interval, I'd check what ZF recommends and make an informed decision on when to change your fluid based on ZF's recommendation and how you use the truck. I changed mine at 70k.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I went approx 150k miles on the factory and may have been too much. 125k is enough. For me currently at 210,000 miles will redo fluid and assembly at 275k then every 100k fluid and filter every 200k from there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can now service mine for $70 fluid/filter so I'm gonna stay in the area of 70-80k.
Is there an aftermarket pan with replaceable filter that you bought?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've got 84,000 miles on my 2015 and I do a lot of heavy towing with it. I should probably have my transmission serviced.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The PPE pan adds 3 qts (?) capacity and was $325 last I checked. IMO not worth the upcharge unless you will run 300-400 miles or more.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
The PPE pan adds 3 qts (?) capacity and was $325 last I checked. IMO not worth the upcharge unless you will run 300-400 miles or more.
I'll service mine every 70k so I'll be money ahead before 150k. Not to mention the pan is a work of art, very well made. I'm very happy with fit, finish, and function over that junk plastic pan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts