RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to change fluid. One shop said they put amsoil in. Second shop puts 10 dollar quart Zf approved fluid. 3 shop was cheap only wanting 260 for fluid and pan. Amsoil was 600 and other estimate was 525. Wanting to stay with Mopar OEM fluid. Couldn't get estimate from Dodge dealer today. What's recommend fluid

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
You do not need to use the WAY OVERPRICED fluid ram will sell you. Valvoline max life synthetic in the red jug at walmart for $17 a gallon works fine. You will need 2 jugs. Many on the forum including myself have used it with success.

You can buy a pan/filter on ebay for $29 and the fluid for another $40. It is not a difficult job.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The dealer quoted me $1200.
I did it myself using an Amazon pan and Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF for about $150.
Tranny has never been this smooth. 250,000kms and climbing. There are some great threads on the procedure.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
At any rate buy the fluid and filterpan even if you have a local shop do the change. Give them the instruction sheet from transmission section. So just labor won't be bad especially if you have the truck transmission fluid in the right heat range before they are ready to work on it.

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
At any rate buy the fluid and filterpan even if you have a local shop do the change. Give them the instruction sheet from transmission section. So just labor won't be bad especially if you have the truck transmission fluid in the right heat range before they are ready to work on it.
Hi: VernDiesel... Guess I've bin lucky. Never changed tranny fluid in any car I've owned. If it's red... more miles ahead. If it's brown... flush it down!!! Now where's the tranny dip stick?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi: VernDiesel... Guess I've bin lucky. Never changed tranny fluid in any car I've owned. If it's red... more miles ahead. If it's brown... flush it down!!! Now where's the tranny dip stick?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Hi Dieseldragon.... You want to be careful asking for the "Tranny dip stick" on the internet!!!

Ecosparky North of the North Shores of Lake Simcoe

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife in my trans for the past 62,000 miles. OEM pan is $30 on ebay. Pretty simple service, don't let a shop rape you.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The procedure from the Shop Manual is in post #40 here:

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
155 Posts
You do not need to use the WAY OVERPRICED fluid ram will sell you. Valvoline max life synthetic in the red jug at walmart for $17 a gallon works fine. You will need 2 jugs. Many on the forum including myself have used it with success.

You can buy a pan/filter on ebay for $29 and the fluid for another $40. It is not a difficult job.
If you are still under warranty go with the Mopar otherwise Valvoline Maxlife is perfectly ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts