RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4

Guys, been having a flaring shift from 3-4 from time to time, but now seeing flaring between 6-7, and a shudder in the 4-5 shift.

Planned on changing trans fluid and filter, but today it had a big flare going up a hill, and locked itself in 4th. Restart resolved it. Check engine light on, CTS2 unable to show code. Buddy put a snap on scanner on truck, and came up with several codes, but one for the trans.

P191D-00
Incorrect Gear Ratio - Clutch 3 Defective

Cleared the code, and flare only occasionally happens, usually kept down due to throttle foot.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
First thing should be get the fluid tested. Mine was having a 1/2 flare when cold almost every day and fluid/filter fixed it. Since clearing the code reduced it im guessing the transmission is adaptive and has a learning strategy, maybe clearing the code reset that. Fluid and filter change defiantly wouldn't hurt it shouldn't be a lifetime thing anyways.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If the transmission fluid and filter doesn’t straighten out your issues, Before I let a transmission shop try to rebuild it ,I’d purchase a new transmission from Mopar, I’m not sure of the price now ,it use to be around 3500-4000 US dollars.. If I remember correctly? Mopar had a major price increase on parts this past winter,You did good on a replacement engine,maybe see what the dealership has to say ? This is not a simple transmission to rebuild..

The ZF transmission in these EcoDiesel’s have an extremely good track record, only issues I recall usually where manufacturing threading errors , causing a small leak ..

Good luck and please keep us posted on your outcome !!!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Not sure I know what a "flare" is. when shifting. Guessing that means it finds a false neutral or just slips between shifts. Either way is a bummer.

The pan IS the filter for the transmission. PIA and expensive but might be a good idea to change that along with the fluid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called the dealer who put my new engine in, and they recommended I bring it somewhere local To have the TCM checked, rather than bringing it all the way to them for a potential transmission issue. I have a friend who is the truck manager at a semi-local ram dealer, and I’ll be probably be taking it to them this week for diagnostic

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you asked PPEI?

Hopefully a TCM update will take care of it. Let us know what the dealer says.
Will keep you guys posted. I’ve actually never been able to get up with PPEI. Anyone know a good number?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The best way to contact PPEI is by submitting a case on there website but email works great as well, there a small crew for how much they do. But this isn't something thats related to them anyways. Give the transmission and wiring a very through inspection and get the fluid tested. If it has more than 40k on the fluid and filter which is built into the pan change both.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I shall remain eternally stupid on what a "flare" is.

Watched that video. Watched the transmission shift around 2,500 rpm. That's what I saw. Guessing you have a 3:92 as the rpm's seem high for going to or coming from church. I would be doing 80-90 mph running that high an rpm.

Hope you get it fixed.
Truck is actually a 3.55 rear, according to the equipment list. It gets much worse under real load. WIll BANG itself into 4th gear limp mode. Starting to get a bit dangerous at times.

UPDATE: Took it to the dealer. Hung out for over an hour. Got told "It needs a transmission." Given an estimate. I asked if they'd flashed the TCM like I requested. Their response: "That's not what the program told him to do."
-Will not be using said dealer for anything further, other than the occasional oil change.

Have a local trans shop that will swap out the trans with a new MOPAR unit. Also have another local shop that says that they can rebuild it as well. Sounds like a cheaper option. Saw the sonnax ZIP kit for that trans, but would like the idea of making some other upgrades (read durability).

Anyone know of another company that offers anything for the 8HP70?? Could have sworn Id read it somewhere. Even before I had issues, it felt lazy, and the shifts were much slower than I'd noticed in the other 8spd trans cars.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm of the belief there are no weak components in the 8HP70 that need upgrading. The laziness you speak of is tuning.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called the transmission shop. They are concerned about having to flash the TCM, since it is in the transmission.

Only folks other than the crazy dealer here that can flash it says that they have to flash the ECM too, washing my tune. I’d already planned to change tunes, and add a trans tune, but this isn’t what I was looking for.

How long would the truck run fully deleted without a tune? Would it go immediately into limp mode?

This is getting rediculous...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

Truck is currently parked at the trans shop. Got in it yesterday afternoon, and she wouldn’t come out of park. Gave a couple of different codes, both relating to no communication with the shift dial.

Towed it home

Got up this morning, disconnected every BUS connector I could find under the driver’s side of the truck, cleaned, sprayed with WD40, and reconnected. No bueno. 2nd tow:

Tow driver made multiple requests to buy the truck. Made him an offer I couldn’t refuse. He’s headed to the bank, lol.

Interested to see what the trans shop comes back with.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts