RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Just talked to the trans shop. Appears the solenoid at the back of the VB/back of shift rod is defective. States that he cannot get just the solenoid, but has to buy a new VB to repair. Has a trans on the shelf for a gas burner 1500, but says that the VB is not interchangeable. Is currently dropping to pan to assess for mechanical damage.

Does anyone have a let’s diagram of the valve body or transmission? Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Appears the solenoid at the back of the VB/back of shift rod is defective. States that he cannot get just the solenoid, but has to buy a new VB to repair. Has a trans on the shelf for a gas burner 1500, but says that the VB is not interchangeable.
It's my understanding that the valve body comes as a whole assembly, it also includes the TCM.
I wonder if the transmission he has on the shelf is the 8HP45 which is for the 3.6l engine. The Hemi and EcoDiesel both use the 8HP70

Discussion starter · #23 ·
According to the parts department at my dealer, there is no interchange between the hemi and ED valve body [emoji30]

Discussion starter · #24 ·
So, another update... solenoid has been removed, and it’s definitely bad. Cut open the pagans found chunks of clutch material. He’s leaning towards a new trans. I asked about a rebuild, and he said he could, but it would be his first, and I would still have to buy a VB.

We still have the issue of programming the TCM. Local guy will flash both ECM and TCM, Charge me like $300, and I’ll be in limp mode. Will have to have ECM reflashed regardless. SFT says he can program both, and I’ll be ready to go.

Is there any way we could get numbers off that solenoid to look into a new one?

I’m torn.

-I’ll have about a grand in the VB, plus $500 for a basic rebuild kit, and his labor.

-OR I could get a new (Reman) from MOPAR, and have it put in. 3 yr warranty. All new parts.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I see a lot of used transmissions out there in my area for your truck in the 1200 range. These transmissions are pretty bulletproof overall and I don't think you'll have any issues with used.

Go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and search your region, city, or state. Be sure to choose Dodge 1500 1994+ as this search engine doesn't use Ram.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I see a lot of used transmissions out there in my area for your truck in the 1200 range. These transmissions are pretty bulletproof overall and I don't think you'll have any issues with used.

Go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and search your region, city, or state. Be sure to choose Dodge 1500 1994+ as this search engine doesn't use Ram.
Man, thank you. I don’t know why I didn’t think used. Found a couple for an EcoD for about that price. Will call on them Monday!

Man, thank you. I don’t know why I didn’t think used. Found a couple for an EcoD for about that price. Will call on them Monday!
Good deal. Most of these parts recyclers have gotten very professional, and will ship if you find one further away.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Ordered a trans from a state-local

Ordered trans pan and fluid today...

Just for reference, autozone matched Walmart on the price of the MaxLife ATF - $10 a gallon difference! Guy said he was going to send in a pricing alert since there was such a massive difference.

Found an aluminum pan there too.

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-pan-with-filter-kit

Now its just to get the trans tune, and I’ll be all done, other than the trans shop putting it all together.

I've never seen that pan option before, good for others to know.

I went with the oversized aluminum pan from PPE and Valvoline MaxLife fluid.

You'll love the trans tune once you get it installed. I added two options to it, gear command and gear indicator. It turns on the gear indicator and also allows you to manually shift, much more control over rpm than the stock trans tune.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I've never seen that pan option before, good for others to know.

I went with the oversized aluminum pan from PPE and Valvoline MaxLife fluid.

You'll love the trans tune once you get it installed. I added two options to it, gear command and gear indicator. It turns on the gear indicator and also allows you to manually shift, much more control over rpm than the stock trans tune.
Nice. I was gonna do the PPE pan, but this whole repair was unplanned, do doing what I can while I can.

Which Trans Tune do you have?

Reactions: Bounty Hunter
Nice. I was gonna do the PPE pan, but this whole repair was unplanned, do doing what I can while I can.

Which Trans Tune do you have?
GDE, of course. Makes it a whole new truck, and really compliments the turbo brake when it comes to towing.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
GDE, of course. Makes it a whole new truck, and really compliments the turbo brake when it comes to towing.
Gonna go a little black sheep here, compared to most. Gonna try out SFT. Price point, and ability to have tunes on both from the same folks without snatching out my ECM makes my heart happy. He also has options for adjustments later on.

Honestly hated the lag and EGT issues with the PPEI tune, along with the doggish stock transmission tune. This just allowed me to kill two birds with one stone.

Can’t wait to have my truck back!

Reactions: HollyWoodGriz
Discussion starter · #37 ·
Good luck with the new kid on the block, your dime.
Thanks man. Kinda feels like I’m being excommunicated, lol. I get to keep both my PPEI and stock trans tubes if anything is goofy.

Be sure to report your findings. It'll be nice to have a report from a trusted/unbiased source.
That’s exactly my intentions. Will likely even drive the truck home before putting the tunes on, just to see the difference. I know the trans will be in a relearn state, but I’d like to see how she rolls before and after.

Trans got there today!

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Called the trans shop today... Trans is in, but they are having trouble with it going into park now, lol. They said that they bent and adjusted the linkage, and it seems to be working as it should. He said it "needed to be programmed" possibly. Anyone got any thoughts?

They are going to let it wait overnight, and see how it does cold. It did well this afternoon, so they are hopeful. I'll update tomorrow when I hear a final verdict from them.

Called the trans shop today... Trans is in, but they are having trouble with it going into park now, lol. They said that they bent and adjusted the linkage, and it seems to be working as it should. He said it "needed to be programmed" possibly. Anyone got any thoughts?

They are going to let it wait overnight, and see how it does cold. It did well this afternoon, so they are hopeful. I'll update tomorrow when I hear a final verdict from them.
The transmission is controlled electricity the linkage is to manually put it in neutral. It well need programmed to properly communicate with the truck. If the vin is wrong in the tcm which is internal then it wont communicate with the ecm and bcm. Hopefully sft has a clue what there doing if not im sure gde could sort it out.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
The transmission is controlled electricity the linkage is to manually put it in neutral. It well need programmed to properly communicate with the truck. If the vin is wrong in the tcm which is internal then it wont communicate with the ecm and bcm. Hopefully sft has a clue what there doing if not im sure gde could sort it out.
Both have said their flash won’t really work to resolve it. Greene Racine said they swap the Hemi’s without any flashing without issue.

If it has to be flashed, I’ll get it flashed. Hoping to get it back to see how the SFT tunes work over a little road trip this weekend.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.