RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone have this happen before, a friend of mine in Ontario went to put his 2016 ecodiesel truck from P into Drive on a cold morning, and the shifter knob turned to the D position, but the truck would not move. He said he got a message on the evic. Long story short, he had it towed to the dealer.

Now they told him it's because he used "amsoil" transmission fluid and not the dealer stuff... so he bit the bullet, got milked and paid $1000 and had them flush it and all.

Sounds fishy, I know there's a lot of guys here who use amsoil, redline, valvoline other zf rated transmission fluids and haven't had problems. Has anyone had issues in the cold weather getting it to engage into drive??

Is there a locking device behind the shifter knob preventing the truck from engaging?

I think he got hosed at the dealership.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Hey, anyone have this happen before, a friend of mine in Ontario went to put his 2016 ecodiesel truck from P into Drive on a cold morning, and the shifter knob turned to the D position, but the truck would not move. He said he got a message on the evic. Long story short, he had it towed to the dealer.

Now they told him it's because he used "amsoil" transmission fluid and not the dealer stuff... so he bit the bullet, got milked and paid $1000 and had them flush it and all.

Sounds fishy, I know there's a lot of guys here who use amsoil, redline, valvoline other zf rated transmission fluids and haven't had problems. Has anyone had issues in the cold weather getting it to engage into drive??

Is there a locking device behind the shifter knob preventing the truck from engaging?

I think he got hosed at the dealership.
More like they serviced his grommet.... He should get a letter stating the oil's compliance to FCA specification from Amsoil and then take the dealer to small claims court to recover the $1000.

·
Super Moderator
4,067 Posts
Highly doubtful it was the type of fluid that caused it, probably more like the fluid level wasn't correct. Did he say there was any error codes the dealer listed on the invoice?

$1000 Canadian would be $750 in US dollars

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
They probably just reseated the connector next to it but wanted more money so they blamed it on the fluid. Amsoil transmission fluid has a pour point down around -60 so thats a big no on it causing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highly doubtful it was the type of fluid that caused it, probably more like the fluid level wasn't correct. Did he say there was any error codes the dealer listed on the invoice?

$1000 Canadian would be $750 in US dollars
I'll ask him tomorrow, he did say there was a message on the evic, I forget, but I'll ask.

That was another thought, that maybe he didn't follow the fill procedure perfectly and that maybe he was a little low, esp being COLD (oil contracts a little with cold, doesn't it?) it might have been just on the edge of low?...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll ask him tomorrow, he did say there was a message on the evic, I forget, but I'll ask.

That was another thought, that maybe he didn't follow the fill procedure perfectly and that maybe he was a little low, esp being COLD (oil contracts a little with cold, doesn't it?) it might have been just on the edge of low?...
Did he drive it much after the change or did he literally change it the night before and didn't drive it?

·
Super Moderator
4,067 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the official procedure for checking the fluid, the transmission fluid has to be within a specific range(per the transmission sensor) and the bottom pan of the trans needs to be level front/back & side/side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did he drive it much after the change or did he literally change it the night before and didn't drive it?
he's been driving it for a few months, I believe he changed the tranny fluid in July or August. This just happened now in December. I do remember him not following the procedure fully. He did the old school way, "just drive it around let the fluid warm up, and circulate, then open, check again, top up, etc."

I had given him detailed instructions on what to do from ZF, what temp's to raise the fluid, all the detailed steps, but I suspect he checked the fluid the 'old school way' which might work on older cars, but not on these technical transmissions. I'll confirm this tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’d like to meet the “engineer” that designed the transmission service fill port...next to the cat...check while engine hot and running. Must have been last in his/her class.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I’d like to meet the “engineer” that designed the transmission service fill port...next to the cat...check while engine hot and running. Must have been last in his/her class.
Actually you check the transmission fluid level with the engine running and transmission temps between 80-120 F. Ram is the one who chose to mount the dpf that close not zf.

·
Registered
24 Posts

How do you check the oil on them and where do you add if needed?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
How do you check the oil on them and where do you add if needed?
Open the fill plug on the passenger side of the trans. Trans must be a certain temp to accurately check. I didn't have a problem filling and checking with the narrow space between the fill hole and the DPF.

I'm betting his problem wasn't fluid related. Sounds more electronic. You can move the shifter without your foot on the brake, and it will not go into gear. It will also cause a dash message. Many other possibilities for this issue, the least likely being the wrong fluid lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts