RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 56000 miles on my 2015 ecodiesel and the transmission is no longer shifting properly. It appears to slip in 3rd or 4th, won't go into 8th, and once it gets into 7th it won't shift below 6th even after stopped, it will go back to normal once I've turned the truck off and on again. If I put it in reverse then drive it says put it in Park then the desired gear, but won't go into reverse unless I shut the truck off and back on again. I've also got the following engine codes: P1B14, P1D90, P1D9D, P1D93, P1D99, for which I've found no definitions. I've reset the codes and they've come back.

So some history I've had with this transmission, some of which is probably really stupid on my part. After about 7000 mile son my truck I punched a hole in the PLASTIC transmission pan on a rock while carelessly driving over some rocks I didn't think much of. I took the transmission pan off and we went into town where it was repairs through plastic welding the hole shut. I put in about 4 or 5qt of Valvoline MaxLife ATf fluid after brief research and the best substitute I could find to get us out of there. This solution has worked pretty well for the last 50000 miles. I never noticed a change in shifting before the accident and after. Well I recently came across the PPE aluminum transmission pan, so I ordered it, a replacement seal, and 10L of Ravenol Lifeguard 8. On Saturday I drain the transmission, install the pan and put 4L in through the fill hole, and put the remaining 5L through the breather hose. The truck shifted and ran fantastic at this point, better than when I bought it, I was so stoked, until the next day. I was on the road for about 30 minutes when I get a transmission overheat warning on my dash, I immediately pulled over and let it cool down to about 245, then nursed it to a parts store, it still shifted and started just find at this point with no error codes. By looking at the oil change guides I thought overheating was a sign of too much fluid, so I removed some fluid with the engine running and in gear until it dripped out slowly. Thinking I was good put it in gear and suddenly I have a check engine light and the transmission is shifting incorrectly.

So I have it towed to the dealer closest to my house, they tell me the transmission needs to be replaced and is not covered under warranty because it was low on fluid. The problem they say is the clutches are ruined and are ruined right when the transmission overheated. My neighbor has had bad experiences with the same dealer, and and suggested I take it to the dealer I bought the truck from. I know I'm not innocent with how I've treated this transmission over the years, but I'm having a hard time buying what I've been told. For starters, the issues didn't' start when the transmission overheated, and is the transmission really that fragile when it comes to fluid? Well, I told them to go ahead with the transmission replacement, but now I'm wondering if I should have it further inspected, even taken to another shop.

Should I just bite the bullet knowing I've screwed myself each step of the way, or should I take it to another dealer and get a second opinion? I've messed up enough and could really use some advice.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Reads like you made changes in equipment and oil. Could be an issue with warranty coverage.

You already agreed on their repair/replace. Kind of shut down your options.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
I've got about 56000 miles on my 2015 ecodiesel and the transmission is no longer shifting properly. It appears to slip in 3rd or 4th, won't go into 8th, and once it gets into 7th it won't shift below 6th even after stopped, it will go back to normal once I've turned the truck off and on again. If I put it in reverse then drive it says put it in Park then the desired gear, but won't go into reverse unless I shut the truck off and back on again. I've also got the following engine codes: P1B14, P1D90, P1D9D, P1D93, P1D99, for which I've found no definitions. I've reset the codes and they've come back.

So some history I've had with this transmission, some of which is probably really stupid on my part. After about 7000 mile son my truck I punched a hole in the PLASTIC transmission pan on a rock while carelessly driving over some rocks I didn't think much of. I took the transmission pan off and we went into town where it was repairs through plastic welding the hole shut. I put in about 4 or 5qt of Valvoline MaxLife ATf fluid after brief research and the best substitute I could find to get us out of there. This solution has worked pretty well for the last 50000 miles. I never noticed a change in shifting before the accident and after. Well I recently came across the PPE aluminum transmission pan, so I ordered it, a replacement seal, and 10L of Ravenol Lifeguard 8. On Saturday I drain the transmission, install the pan and put 4L in through the fill hole, and put the remaining 5L through the breather hose. The truck shifted and ran fantastic at this point, better than when I bought it, I was so stoked, until the next day. I was on the road for about 30 minutes when I get a transmission overheat warning on my dash, I immediately pulled over and let it cool down to about 245, then nursed it to a parts store, it still shifted and started just find at this point with no error codes. By looking at the oil change guides I thought overheating was a sign of too much fluid, so I removed some fluid with the engine running and in gear until it dripped out slowly. Thinking I was good put it in gear and suddenly I have a check engine light and the transmission is shifting incorrectly.

So I have it towed to the dealer closest to my house, they tell me the transmission needs to be replaced and is not covered under warranty because it was low on fluid. The problem they say is the clutches are ruined and are ruined right when the transmission overheated. My neighbor has had bad experiences with the same dealer, and and suggested I take it to the dealer I bought the truck from. I know I'm not innocent with how I've treated this transmission over the years, but I'm having a hard time buying what I've been told. For starters, the issues didn't' start when the transmission overheated, and is the transmission really that fragile when it comes to fluid? Well, I told them to go ahead with the transmission replacement, but now I'm wondering if I should have it further inspected, even taken to another shop.

Should I just bite the bullet knowing I've screwed myself each step of the way, or should I take it to another dealer and get a second opinion? I've messed up enough and could really use some advice.
Not sure what advice I can give at this point in time, but there is a special procedure required when filling the transmission.

Manofmeyham posted a link: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/34985-zf-8hp70-transmission-service.html#post515729

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would say ,, Be happy you got 50,000 miles after the "Fix" , as it clearly ran low on fluid when that happened as well. Now you will have a nice fresh trans , 50,000 miles after you almost needed one. Sucks , but such is life. I would try to find peace , and move on... Not sure if it's what you wanted to hear , but hey , it's advice none the less.. lol

I bet you will be super happy with how it drives when you get it back ! Whats the damages BTW?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say ,, Be happy you got 50,000 miles after the "Fix" , as it clearly ran low on fluid when that happened as well. Now you will have a nice fresh trans , 50,000 miles after you almost needed one. Sucks , but such is life. I would try to find peace , and move on... Not sure if it's what you wanted to hear , but hey , it's advice none the less.. lol

I bet you will be super happy with how it drives when you get it back ! Whats the damages BTW?
Sadly, this is about what I felt. They damages are almost 4k, but they will put on the new metal pan. So, 5k for a transmission pan the truck should have come with is just a hard pill to swallow. Even when I could have prevented it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been in the automatic transmission business for the last 30 years and since the manufactures removed the dipsticks I have seen too many transmission failures not long after the customer decided to service the transmission themselves.
It is very critical to check the fluid level at the correct temperature. If the level is set without regards to the temp when the trans reaches operating temp the trans could be either too low or to high. The temp to check the fluid at is not the same as operating temp.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
I've followed the procedure linked above when changing fluid. It has worked flawlessly including swapping to the new pan and using temps from your dash. Before buying the new trans I would want to clear trans codes refill following procedure linked about and try it out. Even if it's a lil embarrassing it may well save you $3,500 plus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've followed the procedure linked above when changing fluid. It has worked flawlessly including swapping to the new pan and using temps from your dash. Before buying the new trans I would want to clear trans codes refill following procedure linked about and try it out. Even if it's a lil embarrassing it may well save you $3,500 plus.
Do you mean ask them to do a flush first before a trans replacement?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
I'm saying clear trans codes & refil per the procedure and see what it does. You have little to loose by trying & lots to gain. Maybe a transmission expert would know why this is not worth a try but I don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts