RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the CF update tune as part of the settlement. To say it sucks is an understatement. Going to get my hot tune back, but also considering the transmission tune as well. Anybody have any input on the transmission tune coupled with the hot tune? Not as much information out there about the trans tune as the ECM hot tune......

Also, GDE stated that with the transmission tune you use a flash tool and that you need to put it back to stock before a dealer visit??? Anybody have any information on that? Do you just hook this flash tool up to the OBII scanner port on the lower left of the truck to do the transmission tune? What if you DIDN'T program it back to stock before a dealer visit? Are you able to scan/update the transmission tune multiple times yourself unlike the ECM hot tune?

Just trying to get a feel of if I should do both (have had the hot tune since almost new) and how the transmission tune works exactly? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
got the CF update tune as part of the settlement. To say it sucks is an understatement. Going to get my hot tune back, but also considering the transmission tune as well. Anybody have any input on the transmission tune coupled with the hot tune? Not as much information out there about the trans tune as the ECM hot tune......

Also, GDE stated that with the transmission tune you use a flash tool and that you need to put it back to stock before a dealer visit??? Anybody have any information on that? Do you just hook this flash tool up to the OBII scanner port on the lower left of the truck to do the transmission tune? What if you DIDN'T program it back to stock before a dealer visit? Are you able to scan/update the transmission tune multiple times yourself unlike the ECM hot tune?

Just trying to get a feel of if I should do both (have had the hot tune since almost new) and how the transmission tune works exactly? Thanks
I too have had the Hot Tune for a while. First on our Jeep and then tuned the Ram. I definitely agree that post AEM is a weird truck. I ran the truck with the Hot Tune with the post AEM transmission tune and I didn't really like it. Seemed like it took too long to shift and it really struggled to hold 8th gear. I have a 26' travel trailer that I tow also which helped me decide on doing the transmission tune.

The transmission tune is very easy to install/flash onto the truck. If you have ever put music on a iPod or on a flash drive through windows media player you can handle it. They don't want you to have the AEM done with the transmission tune installed because it will remove the tune from it and make your flash programmer useless until they unlock it. So that is why you need to flash the stock programming back onto the transmission before having the AEM done. Think of the transmission ECU as the engine ECU in this aspect. If you had the engine ECU flashed with the AEM update you essentially have all the programming removed and the AEM put in it's place.

Yes it hooks up to the OBD2 port. You only have to install the tune once. Unless you want GDE to change your programming or want to have the dealer update the transmission ECU. The flash tuner is easy to use and the instructions are very easy to follow. The flash tuner can also be used to clear DTC's which is nice.

I really like the way the truck drives now. It shifts through the first three gears quickly when normal driving and then will hold fourth and let you use the low end torque the diesel has. Towing the camper with it is amazing and I love being able to lock it in 7th gear on the flats. I got noticeably better MPG and much better performance with it VS just having the Hot Tune. Also when driving the truck when empty it holds 8th gear on the highway and will only downshift when it's really needed.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The reason why gde recommends you put the transmission software back to stock when taking it to a dealership is if they update the software it changes the part number for the software. Then when you try to reflash it the device well be locked out and is now useless. But if you flash the software back to stock the device becomes unlocked. You then need to get gde to make a new file for the updated software and reflash it again. Its really quite simple but more people than one would think ignore it and end up having to buy a new tuning device just because they didn't flash it back to stock.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
I have only seen one negative post about the transmission tune with many praising it. I don’t have first hand experience with it yet but mine shipped out from GDE today so hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be able to sing the praises also.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I love the trans tune. It changed the truck more than the Hot Tune. The stock trans tuning is lazy to say the least.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I want to do the trans tune, but I am not very good on the computer. Who could I pay to do this for me? A transmission shop ? A auto mechanic? A auto parts store ?

·
Registered
719 Posts
dieseldave,
I'd be more than willing to do it for you however, the plane fare pretty much keeps me in San Diego. But if you ever came this way it would be my pleasure.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I want to do the trans tune, but I am not very good on the computer. Who could I pay to do this for me? A transmission shop ? A auto mechanic? A auto parts store ?
Can you use email and attach/ copy an attachment from an email? If so you should be able to do it. If not do you have any friends or family that is more computer savvy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The beer will be cold
01a-big smiley-2.jpg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Had I not canceled my scuba diving trip to Milwaukee in a few weeks, we could meet up and I'd install the tune for you. I don't see myself getting up there anytime soon.

Leave Wed. to dive some shipwrecks with large shark populations, so I might not be installing any more tunes lol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dave,
I know of more than one person who was likewise hesitant, they called SFT and Jimmy walked them through every step over the phone. You might give GDE a call, I'm sure they too would be very helpful.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have only seen one negative post about the transmission tune with many praising it. I don’t have first hand experience with it yet but mine shipped out from GDE today so hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be able to sing the praises also.

Mine also shipped yesterday. UPS shows it will be delivered tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Mine also shipped yesterday. UPS shows it will be delivered tomorrow. Good luck with yours.
Thanks and good luck with yours also. Mine also shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow but won’t get to the install until this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bring it over to Minneapolis and I'll do it for free. Or just follow the instructions and DIY. If you can sort out adding a photo to a post on a forum I bet you can get the tune installed.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Just installed the trans tune and drove a few miles. Luckily I was warned about the flashing error messages on the dash while installing. It’s easy and straightforward following the instructions. Immediate impressions as stated by others here, now the factory trans tune feels lazy. The shifts are now sooner and quicker therefore the engine doesn’t rev up as high as before with the similar amount of throttle applied and truck feels a little quicker. There is less gear hunting going up and down hills on the 2 lane roads I drove on. Overall a vast improvement noted for only a few miles driven. I’ve had the hot tune since the 600 mile mark so adding the trans tune makes it feel like a totally different vehicle just as the engine tune did. As a bonus my average mpg on the dash went up by .5mpg while testing it. What’s not to like?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts