RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone travel with dogs in the covered/capped bed? (not sure what the right term is). We have a 100 lb boxer mix that likely won't be comfortable in the cab (crew) next to our son's car seat.

We'll be taking a long road trip through decent weather, but will be moving to Alaska soon and will take them on short trips once there. Are there things people do to make sure pets are comfortable?

Don't have the truck or cap yet for details, still weighing options.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A rubber bed mat for secure footing, a large comfortable dog bed for long trips, a 12-volt heater for colder weather, and a heavy, deep, partially filled water dish would probably make poochy's life enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Use a crate, secured to the truck bed. NO to water as it will all spill making bed wet.
Training for the crate should begin long before the big trip. Use snacks as rewards for going in crate in your home then repeat as you move crate to the truck bed.
Protect dog from drafts by using blankets. Take dog with you on a few short trips to get used to it.
Stop every two or so hours, take them out for pee and poop break.
I like ARE caps. Hinges are more substantial than leer etc. Single Latch for glass is preferable.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My 180 lb and 145 lb pooches like the rear seat with the bench folded up. Does make it hard to fit the kids in the truck lol.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't know if my 95 pound lab is just touched or what but he hates the fold flat floor acts like he's on ice and can't get traction just like on our laminate flooring

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would personally not travel with dogs in bed, just a personal preference as it gets rather warm here also. But if u must, a mat on floor, blankets, depending upon dog maybe crate trained and Frequent stops are a necessary evil unless U love clean up detail, IMHO. (mine always loved McDonalds drive thru, just hold the pickles and onions).....

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Side window in my ARE caps called a "sportsman's window". It lets up for full side access and has an easy opening screen for bed ventilation. Couple that with a rubber mat on the floor and your huge dog will have both traction and ventilation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We have crates in the house, when the dog is bad....it goes to its crate, it's safe place, if there's a thunderstorm, it goes to it's crate, it's not punishment, it's it's safe place.
Definitly a crate, you can't let a dog get thrown around the bed of the truck, and secure the crate.
I leave the back seat down and use a waterproof gizmo that is really a hammock, it attaches to the rear and front head rests, the dog isn't going anywhere and isn't going to make a mess when wet.
So, would a crate fit next to the child in the back seat, of could yo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Anyone travel with dogs in the covered/capped bed? (not sure what the right term is). We have a 100 lb boxer mix that likely won't be comfortable in the cab (crew) next to our son's car seat.

We'll be taking a long road trip through decent weather, but will be moving to Alaska soon and will take them on short trips once there. Are there things people do to make sure pets are comfortable?

I have a waterproof made for dogs hammock type gizmo that attaches to the front and rear head rest posts, I leave the seat down and the dog is secure and when wet doesn't do damage.
We have crates in the house, the dogs go in when nervous, thunder storms, loud noises, the dogs have a safe place, and when strangers come, the dogs are not a problem.
A crate in the rear, secured is ok, but is there room in the back seat for a crate and a child seat? Or a barrier to give the dog room but the inability to infringe on the child?
Perhaps adapting something like this https://www.chewy.com/petego-k9-guard-universal-pet-safety/dp/134628?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Petego&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcZRC4yF-l_CswsK_-6MLjkAgSjDBrxk4lSh53kfFlvUW2Lo6tnBRWxoCXUcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
44 Posts

I have a leer shell that has sliding windows. We did a 2800 mile round trip this year to Yellowstone with our 80lb golden retriever in the heat of summer. Used a wire crate with a crate mat and a water bottle adapter that holds a 2 liter jug of water in the side. The adapater closes when dog is not drinking so it doesn’t spill or splash water. Crate was strapped down to the hooks in the bed. Trip went very well. If the weather is colder you can get a crate cover and just barely crack the windows for a little fresh air. Happy traveling

·
Registered
659 Posts
kennel.jpg

I travel all over with dogs in the back under a topper.
2 hole box large enough for 4 dogs.
3 gallon water tank.
I can put fans in that are run off a deep cycle battery and a thermostat.
There is a thermometer in the crate that reads out inside the cab of the truck.
I have a battery charger that can be plugged in at night to shore power or run off an inverter while driving down the road.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Use a crate, secured to the truck bed. NO to water as it will all spill making bed wet.
Training for the crate should begin long before the big trip. Use snacks as rewards for going in crate in your home then repeat as you move crate to the truck bed.
Protect dog from drafts by using blankets. Take dog with you on a few short trips to get used to it.
Stop every two or so hours, take them out for pee and poop break.
I like ARE caps. Hinges are more substantial than leer etc. Single Latch for glass is preferable.
Well said Henfield, the pooch needs to be safe AND comfortable in the crate and truck box.

·
Registered
473 Posts
our two 60lb portugese water dogs traveled in the back seat of my extended cab silverado and the ext cab on the ram is bigger.... but we don't have kids..... ours just sleep on the back bench seat. If I had to put my dogs in the back, I'd probably try to keep the temps human grade, give them an open metal crate and turn in 90 degrees so the long way is parallel to the cab not the side of the bed and tie down the crate with ratchet straps or bed attachments.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our lab retriever mix rides in the cab with the seat folded up and floor folded flat. Doesn't mind the car set next to her in the single seat and our daughter likes the company on longer trips. If you go that route, I recommend finding something to fill the opening for the cup holders. Dog kept tripping/falling into that before we covered ours.

We have friends that use a secured crate in the bed. If the cab didn't work for us, we would definitely go that route as well. Much safer for the dog than being free inside the shell.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can also have sliding windows in between the cab and camper and leave them open for ac into the bed area if you use the seal that goes between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Fold up the large portion of the rear sear and put the flat fold out floor down. Put a dog bed on it. Then you have the single seat for the car seat still. I drive around with an 80 lb lab and my 50 mutt in the back all the time and they have plenty of room.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd try to do what B-g-K recommended if possible.

Our 45lb mix-lab is smaller and fits in the center between our two kids' car seats. She curls up into a ball and goes to sleep. Sometimes she'll stretch out and put her head on the daughter's lap. I'm working on a platform I can put on the floor to extend the center bench forward some for her.

I will say that we have the Mega cab, so there might be more room back there.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd try to do what B-g-K recommended if possible.

Our 45lb mix-lab is smaller and fits in the center between our two kids' car seats. She curls up into a ball and goes to sleep. Sometimes she'll stretch out and put her head on the daughter's lap. I'm working on a platform I can put on the floor to extend the center bench forward some for her.

I will say that we have the Mega cab, so there might be more room back there.
Mega cab? Upgraded to a 2/3500?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts