RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone consider holding out for the 2015 Titan w/the 5.0V8 Cummins setup? Yes, its a Titan, I get that its the worst selling fullsize truck and all that... but the 2015 model appears to be new across the board. There's not a lot of detail about transmission and other final specs but pretty much all discussions pin the 5.0V8 to be around 300HP and 550+ ft/lb, and somewhere in the low 20's (22-24?) for highway mpg.

now i'm not (honestly) trying to get into any debate or say the Ram is not going to hold its own, i'm just wondering if there was something that you felt strongly enough about the Ram to not wait for the Titan.

ok, this is me putting on my teflon and getting ready to duck...:p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Im not really sure what the cummins v8 offers that the market doesn't already offer. For me, the only appeal of the ecodiesel is 28mpg. Mileage is so good, that I am willing to risk the trade offs of going to a 1/2 ton from a 3/4.

At 22-24mpg, it's just not worth it to me. I can suffer slightly less mileage and have all of the benefits of a 3/4 ton truck.

Also, I really don't have any confidence in the Japanese full size trucks yet. They just don't seem to be as solid as the domestics.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's a valid question, and no reason to get "Flame" ready.

But to be blunt. NO... I didn't even give it a thought.

1) I never liked Nissan's vehicles. Bad styling, and the seats are generally hard as a rock.

2) Ram gave up on the 5.0 because the MPG's sucked, and it was very heavy. (was actually pushing the truck into the 2500 weight class)

3) It was a very expensive engine. (pushed the truck into the 2500 $$$ range)

4) it was a new design, and unproven. Sure, it's a Cummins, but they aren't perfect. (Do a search on the "53" block)

Because of #'s 2 and 3... There was almost no advantage on buying a 1500 Cummins over buying the 2500 Cummins.

Right now... Nissan is truly building a 3/4 ton truck. If you have read any of the stories on it... the new Cummins version will have heavier suspension, and a beefed up frame. Also... they have to source a new transmission, since the torque is too high for their current unit. I'm glad to see more diesel options out there... but I'm guessing it will be expensive, and not really the truck they were originally projecting. Besides... do you know how many times (over the years) I've seen prototypes built, and hype stories put out there... and then the vehicles never get released???? I'm betting it will either never come to light, or it won't be a 1/2 ton truck.

With all that said... a big final NO has to go out there because of one simple fact.... THE TRUCK DOESN'T EXIST !!

****EDIT****

It's funny when you read posts/threads on the competitors boards. They are pitting the EcoDiesel and the Titan against each other... and they make it sound like the ED is junk with comments about "It only has a V-6", and "It's only making 420 Lb-ft torque"

As PH363 said... if I'm giving up my SMOKE'in good MPG's.... and I really needed the "Power" to tow more than 7000 Lbs.... then I would just buy a 3/4ton truck.

The ED is just that "ECO" diesel. It has normal 1/2 ton capacity, and good MPG's. Nissan is building either a HD 1/2 ton, or a wimpy 3/4 ton.

But I will reserve any real judgment for when (IF) it gets released.

Reactions: shaker223

·
Registered
458 Posts
did anyone consider holding out for the 2015 Titan w/the 5.0V8 Cummins setup?
For a brief second I did. While the numbers look good, it's all rumors at the moment. Always take them with a grain of salt until there is an official corporate press release. Unfortunatly when it comes to final production figures related to power, North American markets tend to end up with shit.

Taking that into consideration, along with things I don't like about Nissans, which are (like Toyota) rock hard seats and an incredibly disconnected and numb feeling with steering feedback. If this pans out and they want to be a serious contender, they need to get the weight down, maybe drop the displacement down bit and raise the mpgs...unless...they are in fact expanding the product line.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
No.

First I would never buy it because it's Japanese. What they did to us should never be forgotten and they never apologized or made restitution.

Cummins has a fine history of in-line engines. Not so sure about a V-8. Now why more complexity and parts? I would be flat out afraid of that engine. It's going to be too heavy for a 1/2 ton pickup. No clue about fuel efficiency.

What kind of transmission might be used?

With no history of component success it's not unreasonable to be doubtful of the final product.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To start with yes I did think about it. But I looked at it this way the big weight increase with the Cummins would not be worth the extra 60hp and 80tq and you get around the same MPG's as a gasser and I am sure the price point would be way more than the diesel in the RAM. I owned a Toyota Tacoma and was not that impressed. It is the only foreign make brand that I have owned and I want to support and domestic made trucks. I also really like the looks of the ram and the way it drives.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes I did think about the titan/ upcoming tundra with the same motor....

1st- they will be lucky to get 24mpg I'm thinking 21-22 will be realistic.

2nd- that engine is f**uckin heavy over1000#'s on your front end the eco is roughly 500#'s which makes the truck feel much more nimble and lighter

3. The extra 60hp and 80lb of tq if you really need it that badly (or want it) just buy a programmer!!

4. The fit and finish on the new ram is second to none!

I am not sure with this bigger engine is better mentality with regards to trucks comes from but logical people realize the advantages with this set up ram chose! I smaller powerful very well built engine over huge heavy engine. That makes minimal more power....

As a side note I am pretty sure ram was give exclusive first rights for this motor and opted not to take it....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice discussion, appreciate the comments. lots of valid points being made. yes chris (LOOK OUT WALKER!) Ram was given first rights to the engine and they rejected it due to not hitting their MPG target (Ram was adamant they wanted 26+ mpg highway). good point on the weight differences. the natural tendencies will be to compare these two trucks against each other even if they are trying to hit slightly different market segments. i was sort of hoping there would be more specifics on the Titan before making the Ram purchase, if only because the more choices we have as consumers, the more we are in control of where our $$ goes.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have no doubt that the titan and tundra will have higher tow ratings than the ram, but if you really need that extra 2000#'s shouldn't you be buying a 3/4ton....

·
Registered
168 Posts
I considered the truck, but after driving a current Titan that thought went right out the window. I did not like the way the truck drove and layout or feel of the interior. I know that this new Titan will most likely be different but if this is what they are building off of count me out.

The Ram fit perfectly into what I needed. A truck that could tow the boat or camper a few times a year and then kick but on mpg the rest. I use my truck mostly for work. I am an I house dog trainer and I needed some thing to haul dogs and gear. The 3/4 ton trucks were just to big and the small Chevy Colorado that is coming out is too small.

The concept of the Titan just doesn't make sense to me. It will most likely cost the same as a 3/4 ton truck and not have the same capabilities. Yes it will be able to do more than the average 1/2 ton but it seems to fall into a segment that doesn't need to be filled. I think that the people that will buy the Titan are those that just want to say they own a diesel or brag that my 1/2 ton can almost tow as much as your 3/4 ton, even though they will never need it. Plus if I want 300hp and 500+ torque I can get that with a tune in the next year or two, and with that tune I will still be in the 28mpg range or even better. The Titan will never reach 28-30mpg unless it is going down hill.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum ( this is my first post). I've been watching, with great interest and anticipation, the arrival of the Ram 1500 diesel. What a bold move. One thing about the truck has me extremely disappointed. It is really weak in payload. It seems Ram was trying so hard to get MPG they built a truck with the payload of an SUV. I do not care about towing. I need hauling capacity under extreme conditions. It would be great if they could offer a HD payload option Ram 1500. So, if other manufacturers offer an option with better payload and 20+ MPG loaded I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My first truck was a 1997 dodge 1500 with the 360ci engine which I purchased new. To put that in perspective it made only 5hp more than the ED and 90 ft/lbs less in torque. Best tank of fuel ever was 16mpg with the 3.55 gears. The truck did everything I needed it to do even though I felt it was a bit underpowered. My 2008 Hemi Ram did everything better than the 97.

I would never consider a Japanese vehicle. Raised in Southeast Michigan and having worked for Chrysler, I've seen a lot of tests and comparisons. Bottom line, don't always believe what the media writes. Truck buyers are more finiky buyers as they have very specific needs. Having said that, some of the previous posters listed weight as an issue. This was true as I was seeing requests to upgrade suspension and brake equipment just to handle the v8 diesel. At that point just go 2500. As a side, note GM was working on a LDD at the same time (2007..2008ish) however I don't know why it didn't materialize.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum ( this is my first post). I've been watching, with great interest and anticipation, the arrival of the Ram 1500 diesel. What a bold move. One thing about the truck has me extremely disappointed. It is really weak in payload. It seems Ram was trying so hard to get MPG they built a truck with the payload of an SUV. I do not care about towing. I need hauling capacity under extreme conditions. It would be great if they could offer a HD payload option Ram 1500. So, if other manufacturers offer an option with better payload and 20+ MPG loaded I'd be very interested.

It has nothing to do with the diesel. If you get a fully pimp'ed hemi limited, it has the same payload. Get a 2wd long bed tradesman and you will get a good payload. It's a 1/2 ton truck. To me, that's 1000 lb's. My cc bighorn can still load +1200Lb's so I'm good.

With that said... go troll somewhere else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
... As a side, note GM was working on a LDD at the same time (2007..2008ish) however I don't know why it didn't materialize.
They had a 4.5 liter Duramax in the works then they went bankrupt and the government bailed them out. Supposedly really close to release too when they cancelled it. In 2010 GM was quoted as possibly reviving the 4.5 but this time in the 2500 as alternative.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol this guy makes me laugh! I have the air suspension and have had almost 1500 pounds of bagged topsoil in it and the truck worked just fine....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I wouldn't want to do that everyday although.... but my point is it works...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why all the talk about big diesels in the Toyota and Nissan trucks? Don't they already have diesel powered models for their European and Asian markets?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Seems to me, some want 2500 HD performance from a 1500. There is no comparison. I think Ram did a good job and found a very nice niche.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
One hell of a niche! They are selling 10's of thousands of these trucks, niche is not the correct term! This is a mainstream truck, once word get out, I firmly beileve that they will average 40-50% take rate on these trucks and they will end up a solid #2 in the sales race. (pushing the piles of shit Chevy makes to tird... I mean third

·
Registered
99 Posts
Before I dropped a deposit on an ED, my wife and I test drove a Titan to see how it drove. Before we even closed the doors, we already were commenting on how cheap it looked and felt inside (and it was loaded). I have owned several Nissan's in the past and I can tell you, they are extremely reliable and inexpensive to operate which is why we looked. However, there was nothing that we liked about it from design, to comfort and layout. I know the new truck will be different, but the Ram is light years ahead of the current Titan. One of my best friends has a Tundra and that truck is also light years ahead of the Titan. My current (GMC) truck is 10 years old and I just did not want to wait anymore for new diesel options. The ED fits my needs and time will tell if I am a Ram convert.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts